1246Living Life God's Way 6/2/2005; Significance

    Jun 2, 2005

      Our greatest fear should not be of failure,
      but of succeeding at something that really doesn't matter.
      unknown

      Significance
      May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of
      our hands for us -
      yes, establish the work of our hands.
      Psalm 90:17
      Many of us begin our careers with the goal of achieving success. If
      we haven't entered our work as a result of God's calling, we will
      eventually face a chasm of deep frustration and emptiness. Success
      flatters but does not provide a lasting sense of purpose and
      fulfillment. So often we enter careers with wrong motives - money,
      prestige, and even pressure from parents or peers. Failing to match our
      work with our giftedness and calling is like trying to fit a square peg
      into a round hole. If that happens over an extended period, a person
      crashes.
      At this time, many make another mistake. Workplace believers think
      that beginning a new career in "full-time Christian work" will fill the
      emptiness they feel. However, this only exacerbates the problem because
      they are again trying to put another square peg into a round hole. The
      problem is not whether we should be in "Christian work" or "secular
      work," but rather what work is inspired by gifts and calling. If there
      is one phrase I wish I could remove from the English language it is
      "full-time Christian work." If you are a Christian, you are in full-time
      Christian work, whether you are driving nails or preaching the gospel.
      The question must be, are you achieving the God-given calling for your
      life? God has called people into business to fulfill His purposes just
      as much as He has called people to be pastors or missionaries.
      It is time for workplace believers to stop feeling like
      second-class citizens for being in business. It is time for workplace
      believers stop working toward financial independence so they can
      concentrate on their "true spiritual calling." This is the great
      deception for those called to business.
      Significance comes from fulfilling the God-given purpose for which
      you were made. Ask Him to confirm this in your own life.
      Today God is First by Os Hillman; 9/5/2004