Re: [wgp] Fwd: Hi friend!!

  • G. Vincent Castellano
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2001
      On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Sherrie Saint John wrote:

      > I am forwarding this message to wgp because this person is is asking
      > about language parsers.
      >
      > Is that down the wgp alley?

      Not really. It's a pretty broad question.

      If he is referring to artificial languages, the standard (at least
      when I was studying them) was Aho, Sethi & Ullman's _Compilers
      --Principles, Techniques, and Tools_ from Addison Wesley. Popularly
      known as the Dragon Book. Even if you are interested in natural
      languages, you would do well to start with man-made ones.

      As for natural languages, I found Winograd's _Language As a Cognitive
      Process_ quite lucid. Don't recall the publisher though.

      It's been a while. There may have been other good sources written since then.
      --gvc