PRESS TONIGHT!

  • John Marsella
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      Yes...you read the subject line correctly! What have I said about the
      unpredictable nature of winemaking?

      Well....our fermentations have been running a bit hotter than
      expected-still within the "safe" range, but to the point where our
      wines are going to finish up the majority of their sugars by this
      Thursday evening-rather than Saturday morning.

      Once the sugars are gone and the yeasts stop fermenting, they also
      stop producing CO2 gas. It's the CO2 gas that prevents O2 (oxygen)
      from coming into contact with the wine/skins, and acts as a barrier
      to infection by all kinds of nasty bacteria (especially the
      acetobacter kind). Without the CO2 barrier our wines in their
      fermenters are subject to turning into really high (or low) quality
      vinegar (NOT what you paid your money for!).

      Thus, we need to get our wines out of their fermenters and into their
      barrels where they will now be protected from O2 by being in a
      completely filled and O2 free environment.

      So, change of schedule. We REALLY need assistance on this one, so
      PLEASE if you can come for even an hour we'd love to see you there!
      We had a small but VERY hard working group this past Saturday, but it
      would be really nice to have more bodies on hand this Thursday
      evening. We'll buy dinner!

      When: Thursday, October 6, 6:00pm-9:00pm
      Where: Dog House, 927 Magnolia Avenue, Modesto
      What: Press off reds, move Chardonnay juice into winery for
      fermentation(being brought down from Sonoma Thursday afternoon)
      What else: WE'LL PROVIDE DINNER!!!

      REALLY, hope to see you there!