Re: [woodheat] Homelite Chainsaw

  • Gary Strom
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
      Well I've got the Poulan 18" (with Sears name on it though) and am plenty
      happy with it, IMHO. Mine is not new (made in USA), so these China or
      Mexican or wherever made ones are an UNKNOWN...

      Gary
    • gullsnest1
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
        --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Strom" <gstrom99@...> wrote:

        > Well I've got the Poulan 18" (with Sears name on it though) and am
        plenty
        > happy with it, IMHO. Mine is not new (made in USA), so these China
        or
        > Mexican or wherever made ones are an UNKNOWN...
        >
        > Gary

        I have the Craftsman 18" by Poulan as well (Craftsman's largest model
        from 1998, 2.6ci, made in USA). I struggled with it for about 3 years
        before I went ahead and got me a Husky 55 Rancher for $145 at Sears
        that someone had bought and used for 2 days then returned. The
        difference is night and day. The Poulan has a thin chain with very
        short cutting blades that require frequent sharpening. The engine bogs
        down if cutting hard wood that is 10-12" diameter or greater so you're
        constantly backing off the cut and letting the saw get back up to
        speed. The Husky will handle anything I've put it through. For some
        reason the Sears models of the Rancher come with a 20" bar where the
        other stores like Lowes it comes with an 18". My cutting buddy had the
        next size smaller Craftsman/Poulan and since I always bring my
        Craftsman along as a back up he would frequently just use mine saving
        his as the back up. Once he tried my Husky he had to have one. He
        finally got one this past September when Sears dropped the price down
        to $205 on clearance when the newer Rancher 455 came out.

        With other Husky models available for ~$200 and the new Rancher455 for
        ~$325 (see www.husqvarna-chainsaw.com for prices with free shipping
        and extra chain) I wouldn't waste my money on a homelite, or another
        Craftsman.
      • Keith McHugh
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
          "The difference is night and day."

          This is right on!!

          I have been cutting firewood for 35 years. I had a craftsmen (Poulan) 33cc
          saw with a 20" bar - I used it 10 years ago to start clearing 12 acres of
          pasture, 3/4 acre pond & 3/4 mile of trails on our horse farm. After 2
          months of weekly use as a weekend warrior - the saw started having problems
          (motor mount broke, etc.). The Homelite and Poulan saws seem to be designed
          toward casual homeowner use. My local lawnmower shop turned me onto a
          Stihl 044 - WOW what a difference when you go upto a professional series
          saw.
          The Stihl finished the job.

          Now I have a Stihl 046 Magnum - this saw is a monster - at awesome 6HP!
          It is in the middle of the Stihl professional series saws product line
          (that loggers use). If the wood starts to bind on the saw blade - I just
          pull
          the throttle to full and it powers through it no problem. I would not give
          it up for anything - it is really nice to have the extra power when you
          need it.

          The only drawback to this saw is that it is a little heavy - but that does
          not bother me - I rather have the power to cut through dense wood or large
          logs. The beauty of this saw is that with a sharp or new blade - this saw
          can cut through 3 foot diameter logs at firewood length like butter -
          without even breaking a sweat all day long. My experience with large of
          wood was with my neighbor who owns a husky saw - he called me over to cut
          up a 3 foot diameter limb that came down on his property when his saw could
          not handle it. The Stihl cut through it no problem.

          I have operated poulan and my dad's "old Blue" homelite saws. While they
          are nice saws - they are not like the professional series of the Stihl saw
          line. You need to be careful when you upgrade to these saws - because
          they are very powerful. They are actually - pretty scary to operate the
          first time if you are going from a poulan to this saw. Huge amounts of
          power - but you get use to it - in fact they increase your cutting
          throughput - taking less time since you fly through cutting wood. However,
          You need to be experienced saw operator to use one though. I think I
          picked up my Stihl 046 Magnum up for $700.

          I have been happy ever since.

          Keith

          gullsnest1 wrote:

          > --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Strom" <gstrom99@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well I've got the Poulan 18" (with Sears name on it though) and am
          > plenty
          > > happy with it, IMHO. Mine is not new (made in USA), so these China
          > or
          > > Mexican or wherever made ones are an UNKNOWN...
          > >
          > > Gary
          >
          > I have the Craftsman 18" by Poulan as well (Craftsman's largest model
          > from 1998, 2.6ci, made in USA). I struggled with it for about 3 years
          > before I went ahead and got me a Husky 55 Rancher for $145 at Sears
          > that someone had bought and used for 2 days then returned. The
          > difference is night and day. The Poulan has a thin chain with very
          > short cutting blades that require frequent sharpening. The engine bogs
          > down if cutting hard wood that is 10-12" diameter or greater so you're
          > constantly backing off the cut and letting the saw get back up to
          > speed. The Husky will handle anything I've put it through. For some
          > reason the Sears models of the Rancher come with a 20" bar where the
          > other stores like Lowes it comes with an 18". My cutting buddy had the
          > next size smaller Craftsman/Poulan and since I always bring my
          > Craftsman along as a back up he would frequently just use mine saving
          > his as the back up. Once he tried my Husky he had to have one. He
          > finally got one this past September when Sears dropped the price down
          > to $205 on clearance when the newer Rancher 455 came out.
          >
          > With other Husky models available for ~$200 and the new Rancher455 for
          > ~$325 (see www.husqvarna-chainsaw.com for prices with free shipping
          > and extra chain) I wouldn't waste my money on a homelite, or another
          > Craftsman.
          >

          > Check THE woodheat web site at http://www.woodheat.org

          > Environment issue
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Environment+issue&w1=Environment+issue&w2=Wood+heat&w3=Conservation&w4=Woodheat&c=4&s=70&.sig=7JaFFcLnuSppvB0WWXw7MA>
          > Wood heat
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Wood+heat&w1=Environment+issue&w2=Wood+heat&w3=Conservation&w4=Woodheat&c=4&s=70&.sig=l7-dOtf59-MY84QgCIea_Q>
          > Conservation
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Conservation&w1=Environment+issue&w2=Wood+heat&w3=Conservation&w4=Woodheat&c=4&s=70&.sig=_eEPRW_GPB6n3s1kfIxXiQ>
          >
          > Woodheat
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Woodheat&w1=Environment+issue&w2=Wood+heat&w3=Conservation&w4=Woodheat&c=4&s=70&.sig=a7Eeia4UJKfQunST4fddVA>

        • Gary Strom
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
            What a great web site. I guess I should start wishing bad thoughts toward
            my Craftsman saw, I can (have to) get a new saw... The Husky's look very
            good. New (20 years newer) Technology is a good thing, I think.

            Gary
          • grandmasattic62
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
              --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Strom" <gstrom99@...> wrote:

              New (20 years newer) Technology is a good thing, I think.

              > Gary

              You'll notice a big difference in the emissions of the new saws.
              Apparently the EPA has cracked down on chainsaws also. I've never
              seen 2 cycle run as clean as these newer saws. I just got a new
              Huskie 359 2 weeks ago. Runs like a champ...cuts wood too!!! It
              doesn't leave you smelling oily exhaust for a couple days afterward.

              Chris
            • Charlie
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2006
                No experience with the Homelite saw, but I know my neighbor owns a
                Homelite. I saw him yesterday so I ask him about the saw. I asked
                how long have you owned the Homelite? He said about 15-20 years,
                but did remember exactly. I then asked if you ever had any trouble
                with the saw? He said nope, starts every time and he keeps the
                chain sharp. He then told he remembers when his brother bought a
                Homelite. He said his brother bought his Homelite in 1959. He
                remembers because it was the same year his brother got married and
                the same year he purchase about 80 acres. The property his brother
                bought was wooded, so he needed the saw and it gets heavy use. He
                said his brother still owns the Homelite and it is still used
                today. He considers his use light compared to his brothers who uses
                his saw heavy. My neighbor and his brother are both over 60. I
                mention that because I think in general, that generation takes
                better care of the equipment and tools as compared to younger folks
                today. The last they want to do is buy a brand new saw, and if it
                ain't broke...why even bother.

                My saw is an Echo CS3000. I do own some Homelite equipment though;
                I have the gas line trimmer and a leaf blower. Come to think of it
                I never had a problem with either the trimmer or blower, they both
                start every time with no problems.

                Charlie

                --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Chad King <timber__wolf@...> wrote:

                > I know it's not a stihl or husky but does anyone have any
                experience with Homelite's?

                > I'm not looking for "you get what you pay for" more along the
                lines of "I have one and hate it cause I can't keep it running,
                doesn't cut well" ect.. or I have one and love it, or I use it as a
                backup to a $500 saw (that I can't afford right now) and it works
                well for a homeowner ect... I'm looking for something that will get
                me through this year and next. It does have a 2 year warranty so
                that shouldn't be an issue if I take care of it.

                > This is the one in paticular that i was looking at..
                >
                > HomeLite 45cc Timberman
                >
                > http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?
                CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%
                2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0405220479.1138904128@@@@&BV_Eng
                ineID=ccceaddgllkhlhicgelceffdfgidgln.0&MID=9876

                > Thanks!
                > Chad

              • Michelle Ann Romy
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2006
                  I agree with you. I have owned a Husky 61 (about 61 cc) model since
                  1983 when I first bought my farm. It has been rebuilt once. I
                  believe if you are a home owner and cut a couple of pickup loads the
                  economy homelite and mcculloughs, craftsman and the like are okay if
                  you baby them and keep them in your garage with the gas drained. If
                  you burn wood to heat then you need at least a 55 rancher husky (but
                  not much bigger) to cut the cords of wood 'you all' need. I am
                  nearing my second cord in SC with a warm january. You will also have
                  frequent maintenance problems with the economy saws if you try to
                  cut cords of wood. If you don't like Husky buy the Stihl as an
                  alternative. Don't waste your money on the others if you want
                  reliability and heat.
                  enough said/ signing off
                  Michelle
                  (the master tree farmer, farm girl from SC)
                  --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "gullsnest1" <gullsnest1@...> wrote:

                  > --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Strom" <gstrom99@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Well I've got the Poulan 18" (with Sears name on it though) and
                  am
                  > plenty
                  > > happy with it, IMHO. Mine is not new (made in USA), so these
                  China
                  > or
                  > > Mexican or wherever made ones are an UNKNOWN...
                  > >
                  > > Gary
                  >
                  > I have the Craftsman 18" by Poulan as well (Craftsman's largest
                  model
                  > from 1998, 2.6ci, made in USA). I struggled with it for about 3
                  years
                  > before I went ahead and got me a Husky 55 Rancher for $145 at
                  Sears
                  > that someone had bought and used for 2 days then returned. The
                  > difference is night and day. The Poulan has a thin chain with very
                  > short cutting blades that require frequent sharpening. The engine
                  bogs
                  > down if cutting hard wood that is 10-12" diameter or greater so
                  you're
                  > constantly backing off the cut and letting the saw get back up to
                  > speed. The Husky will handle anything I've put it through. For
                  some
                  > reason the Sears models of the Rancher come with a 20" bar where
                  the
                  > other stores like Lowes it comes with an 18". My cutting buddy had
                  the
                  > next size smaller Craftsman/Poulan and since I always bring my
                  > Craftsman along as a back up he would frequently just use mine
                  saving
                  > his as the back up. Once he tried my Husky he had to have one. He
                  > finally got one this past September when Sears dropped the price
                  down
                  > to $205 on clearance when the newer Rancher 455 came out.
                  >
                  > With other Husky models available for ~$200 and the new Rancher455
                  for
                  > ~$325 (see www.husqvarna-chainsaw.com for prices with free
                  shipping
                  > and extra chain) I wouldn't waste my money on a homelite, or
                  another
                  > Craftsman.

                • Michelle Ann Romy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 6, 2006