Re: [woodheat] Re: Fw: build your own stove

  • Harmon Seaver
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2002
      On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 08:46:58PM -0000, flexwing462 wrote:
      > Harmon
      > Its tempting to use drums as the basis for a stove. It would save a
      > lot of work fabricating metal since an empty drum is a kind of ready
      > made stove. Here in the UK we generally get 205 litre drums (about 50
      > US galls I think). These are much too big for my needs. Also we often
      > get 20 litre too (about 5 US galls) which are about right for size
      > but made from very thin sheet metal which would soon burn out. I
      > would rather make a proper stove from thicker plate steel so that it
      > had a long life without rusting through or burning through very
      > quickly

      I'm sure you can find 56 or 37 liter as well, they're used for lots of
      stuff. Look for a drum recycler. But they'll all burn thru, even the 205 liter
      (and they all come in various thicknesses).

      I think you're not reading the stuff throughly. If you want a truly efficient
      stove (smokeless), you have to insulate the fire chamber with stuff that will
      withstand 1400C temps. I don't care if you make it out of 1/2" thick steel
      plate, if you don't insulate the firechamber, you'll never get a truly clean
      burn. If the fire chamber is also the heat exchanger, you'll pollute, and shame
      on you.
      You can make the stove out of "tincanium" as long as you use decent
      insulation. In fact, for starters, that's exactly what you should be doing,
      making stoves out of tin cans. You'll be amazed at how long they'll last.
      Have you actually looked at any of the stove designs on the websites I
      posted?

      --
      Harmon Seaver
      CyberShamanix
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
        Harmon
        I can't see any stove designs on the websites that you posted.The
        webconx one does'nt seem to be working at the moment and the other
        one; the journey to forever website seems to be about environmental
        issues in third wourd countries.

        Jim Hall

      • Harmon Seaver
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
          On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 10:28:03PM -0000, flexwing462 wrote:
          > Harmon
          > I can't see any stove designs on the websites that you posted.The
          > webconx one does'nt seem to be working at the moment and the other
          > one; the journey to forever website seems to be about environmental
          > issues in third wourd countries.

          http://journeytoforever.org/at_woodfire.html

          doesnt' have stove designs????