Re: [woodheat] Re: Damper on Non-cat High Tech Stove

  • fdk8787@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 13, 2004
      Sheet metal plugs are an off the shelf part available at any hardware store.
      They are come in all sizes and are chrome looking caps (semi-dome shape)
      with spring loaded fingers that grab the inside edge of the sheet metal hole -
      kind of like a pie plate or flue stopper - only on a very small scale.

    • samiamrd
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 13, 2004
        I have the avalon Reinier stove insert. I have, on occasion heard
        the whistle sound. I assumed one of two things, first, the
        installer did not add enought insulation at the old damper position
        in the fireplace and we were just leaking air. He did cement the SS
        Liner top plate to the chimney, so it should not be leaking. There
        is also a second flue in the chimney and I do not know where that
        goes, so it was possible that the whistle was comming from there.
        The sound did not bother me that much because the house leaks like a
        seive. I have bigger building envelope problems in my house
        (improperly installed double sliders, florida style luver windows,
        lack of a vapor barrier and other things) to worry about a small
        wistle. I ahve been working on fixing the poor construction problems
        with the house and the wistle might be more of an annoiance this
        year.*

        Anyway, if Franklin, or John could add a file with a picture or
        drawing of how to properly close off some of the secondary air supply
        on a Avalon stove, I would apreciate it. I will also try to give
        feedback on the results next spring.

        Thanks,

        Sam

        *house upgrades to date have included: Increasing the half of the
        north and all of the western perimeter of the house from R5 to R19,
        and most of the ceiling from R7 to R38 and foaming every crack and
        hole throught the buliding envelope. This winter, the north and east
        side of the house perimiter will be increased to R 19

        --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, fdk8787@a... wrote:
        > As I read your reply I must concur, you are correct. I have had
        various
        > different stoves in my own home (Avalon, Lopi, Hearthstone, etc)
        seeing that I am

      • fdk8787@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 13, 2004
          Sam, the whistling you are hearing on the Ranier is from the secondary air
          inlet holes - If you remove the tubes, inside you will see a hole at each end
          of the stove. Push a metal plug in there and drill a smaller hole....Ive had
          many complaints of this on windy nights.