RE: [woodheat] Re: durability of a stainless liner???

  • John Gulland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2004
      Greg wrote:
      > The other trick I've heard is filling the flue around the liner with
      > perlite or vermiculite, and then putting a good cap on the top.

      Greg,
      Insulating liners is not a trick and it is not to be done without consulting the liner manufacturer's instructions. Liners are
      tested and certified with specific insulation, sometimes fiber blankets, sometimes solid set material, but none are certified to be
      insulated with plain perlite or vermiculite.

      Insulating liners is a good idea. Winging it without following instructions is not.
      John

    • Bob Belfer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2004
        Lisa,
        Ask the mason how long he will warrantee the flue tiles from deteriorating or cracking (with regular maintenance). The cheapest SS I know of has a 10 year warrantee, some are for life(with regular maintence). Be sure the SS alloy is listed for the fuel you are burning. The few SS liners I have heard of that failed were attributed to burning a fuel not approved for that alloy or repeated and severe over firing the appliance.
        HTH,
        Bob Belfer
        chimneys@...
        Holly, MI
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2004
          Lisa

          Ask him if he'll guarantee it for 10 or 20 years.
          I've seen a three year old chimney with cracked masonry
          liners. The orange clay liners are fired at 1800 F but other
          than that not manufactured to any other tested spec.
          And then you have the mortar in the butt joints that can
          erode away. Stainless is thoroughly tested.
          You may also want to consider relining with
          methods similar to brands like SupaFlue or Isokern.

          Miro
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor