Re: [woodheat] Fire Danger

  • Dennis Lindell
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
      John,
      This was very good advice and I agree.

      My name is Dennis Lindell, and although I heat with wood, I prefer to
      have the ashes, coals, smoke, bugs, wood dirt, danger, etc. outside.
      That is why we purchased an outside woodburning furnace eleven years
      ago. We have been enjoying it ever since. The problems of burning wood
      inside the house presented to the list are interesting, but at times it
      is very difficult to exclaim, "Why not just install an outside
      woodfurnace, and let your worries dissipate? The heat is also very
      versatile.

      Dennis Lindell
      http://www.egroups.com/group/outsidefurnaces

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
        John & Dennis,
        I know of three people (so far) who have this type of setup...
        What am I missing here? If the only pipe or duct coming out of the
        woodburner/furnace is the chimney - what is the danger? I'm sorry but I
        don't understand the danger of collecting the heat which radiates 'above'
        the furnace to channel it into the ductwork by use of a thermostat &
        blower. This would not be physically attached to the woodburner/furnace -
        only close to it. It would however be attached to our real furnce (which
        is oil) via the ductwork.
        I understand that I would have a professional do the work. Perhaps it is
        'folk technology' as you call it, but please don't forget that there are
        those of us out here who cannot afford to just run out and buy an outdoor
        wood furnace. We have to use what we have available and what we can
        afford.
        I joined this list to learn...and will not be 'hacking' anything until
        everything is figured out.

        Thanks,
        Jen