Re: [woodheat] Re: Bush cord ?

  • Thumper Lunatic
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 12, 2001

      I understand "bush cord" to mean a full cord which has not been cut to the needed lenghts or split for use, it can have logs of any size in it, even longer than 4ft, for example: if you cut down a tree the largest parts of the trunk go on the bottom of the stack the rest is stacked inbetween and on the big ones, until it is a cord by volume, the good thing is if you don't waste your cuts you can get more than a cord stacked out of it after it is split etc, Am I understanding right?

      Thumper.......

        Bill Aycock <baycock@...> wrote:

      Richard-
      Thanks- It appears that the definition of a "bush Cord" is, then, the same
      as the definition of a "Cord", ie, 4'x4'x8', or 128 cubic feet, stacked
      loosely. I wonder why the word "bush" was added?

      Bill

      At 02:52 PM 11/10/01 -0000, you wrote:
      >--- In woodheat@y..., Bill Aycock wrote:
      >> In a recent post, I saw reference to a "Bush Cord" as a quantity of
      >wood. I
      >> am familiar with the definition of a Cord, and of the miss-applied
      >term
      >> "Face Cord", but -- what is a "Bush Cord"?
      >> Bill
      >> -
      >Bill:
      >
      >A face cord is one row of firewood stacked 4' high and 8'long by
      >approx. 14" wide. The row could be 12" wide if the individual pieces
      >of wood are cut that length to fit narrow stoves/fireplaces, or even
      >24" wide if they're cut to fit large open fireplaces. However, a face
      >cord is always only one row deep.
      >
      >A bush cord is several rows of firewood (normally 3, but how many
      >depends on the length of the individual pieces of wood comprising the
      >rows,) measuring 4' high, 8' long and 4' wide.
      >
      >Thanks to Lynn and Kate for the mositure meter referrals. If any
      >southern Ontarions have any personal experience/sources, would love to
      >hear about it.
      >
      >Richard

      -
      Bill Aycock --- Persimmon Hill
      Woodville, Alabama, US 35776
      (in the N.E. corner of the State)
      W4BSG -- Grid EM64vr
      baycock@...
      w4bsg@...

      Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
      Refill any ink cartridge for less!
      Includes black and color ink.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/r9F0cB/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/icTolB/TM

      Check THE woodheat web site at www.woodheat.org

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers.

    • Thumper Lunatic
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 12, 2001

        To add to the confusion, the size of a "rick" is variable too, it is in most places a 1/3rd of a cord, but not always...

        Thumper........

          Harmon Seaver <hseaver@...> wrote:

        If someone tried to sell me a "face cord" that had wood less than
        16" I'd complain loudly. A face cord should be a 1/3 of a full cord.

        --
        Harmon Seaver, MLIS
        CyberShamanix

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/XwUZwC/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/icTolB/TM

        Check THE woodheat web site at www.woodheat.org

        Do You Yahoo!?
        Find the one for you at Yahoo! Personals.

      • Harmon Seaver
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 12, 2001
          I used to sell birch firewood, and my cords were birch logs cut 8'
          long, hauled it in a small 5-ton dumptruck, which worked out quite well
          as th buyer could easily measure the cord pretty exactly in the dump box
          (I just hauled one cord at a time) and it was easy for me to load with a
          hyraulic log loader, and even easier to unload.

        • sobek@on.aibn.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 13, 2001
            Thumper & Harmon:

            My own sense is that before the market existed for firewood sold in
            small amounts, a cord was a cord, whether already cut to burnable
            lengths or still in 4' lengths as Harmon used to deliver his.

            Support for my view may lie in an appealing book by the Canadian naive
            artist William Kurelek who wrote and illustrated "Lumberjack" about
            his experience in the woods of northern Ontario in the '40's or '50's.
            I seem to recall him cutting and stacking by the river "cords" (rather
            than "bush cords") of pulp wood by cross-cut saw, in anticipation of
            the spring lumber drive. The stacks of course were 4' high and 8'
            long, comprising only 4' lengths of wood.

            Richard

            (I think) cutting cordwood. --- In woodheat@y..., Harmon Seaver