Re: [woodheat] composition of wax and sawdust firelogs

  • Ed Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2001
      Hi,
      I would suggest that you look into offering logs made solely from compressed wood, minus the wax. The wax contributes mightily to smoke and soot issues, both inside the client's home, and in the chimney (the soot deposits are oily, and require extreme care in order to avoid making an awful mess. Several companies here in the Pacific Northwest make and sell pressed logs that contain only wood. The natural sap, etc.in the wood binds it all nicely, and this eliminates the aforementioned problems. The trick is having the proper equipment to compress the chips enough so that they stay together. I understand that the machine that does this is really strong ;-). Best of luck with your venture.
      Sweeps' Luck, since 1977,
      Ed Williams  CSIA Cert #3958
      Advanced Chimney Services  Sweeping Western Washington
      chimneys@...  www.edthechimneyguy.com