creosote drip - crimped end direction??

  • Jonny Perloff
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2003
      My stove pipe connection where my horizontal pipe connects to the 90
      degree elbow is leaking creosote. I beleive the main issue is that
      the crimped or male end of my stove pipe is away from the stove
      rather than toward it. I am confused about the direction of the
      crimped end - I have installed 3 stoves and they all have a "male"
      fitting on the stove causing a crimped away from the stove. Should I
      put in a double crimped pipe to correct this? Where is the best
      place to reverse the crimp? Thanks in advance for any info.

      Jonny
    • JOSEPH LEBER
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
        Hi, this is SHEETMETALJOE. The direction of air flow
        decides where the crimp goes. The crimp goes on the
        piece of pipe away from the heat source. The pipe
        which covers the crimp must be a very tight fit. In
        addition it is a very good idea to spread some kind of
        seal over the joint too.
        --- Jonny Perloff <jjperloff@...> wrote:
        > My stove pipe connection where my horizontal pipe
        > connects to the 90
        > degree elbow is leaking creosote. I beleive the
        > main issue is that
        > the crimped or male end of my stove pipe is away
        > from the stove
        > rather than toward it. I am confused about the
        > direction of the
        > crimped end - I have installed 3 stoves and they all
        > have a "male"
        > fitting on the stove causing a crimped away from the
        > stove. Should I
        > put in a double crimped pipe to correct this? Where
        > is the best
        > place to reverse the crimp? Thanks in advance for
        > any info.
        >
        > Jonny

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Cal Wallis
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
          I must disagree with SHEETMETALJOE.
          He may be correct in sheet metal and ducting but in smoke pipe there
          are actually 2 methods.

          In the old days - pre "airtight"- the crimp went as Joe says away
          from the heat source.
          However when "airtight " came in in the early 1970s stoves changed so
          that the crimp went into the stove. This was to allow the running
          creosote which people produced because the "airtights" produced so
          much more liquid than the old box stoves, furnaces and cookstoves
          that preceded them. It may not be much of a reason for having crimped
          end down (toward the stove) but that's it.

          Jonny had 3 stoves with male end up (old stoves), and now has a new
          one. He describes a "horizontal" and a 90º. This may have worked in
          the old box stoves but not now. Problems ahead! Maybe it can be
          addressed - shorter pipe, climbing towards the chimney, and 45º
          instead of 90ºs.
          Cal

          >Hi, this is SHEETMETALJOE. The direction of air flow
          >decides where the crimp goes. The crimp goes on the
          >piece of pipe away from the heat source. The pipe
          >which covers the crimp must be a very tight fit. In
          >addition it is a very good idea to spread some kind of
          >seal over the joint too.
          >--- Jonny Perloff <jjperloff@...> wrote:
          > > My stove pipe connection where my horizontal pipe
          > > connects to the 90
          > > degree elbow is leaking creosote. I beleive the
          > > main issue is that
          > > the crimped or male end of my stove pipe is away
          > > from the stove
          > > rather than toward it. I am confused about the
          > > direction of the
          > > crimped end - I have installed 3 stoves and they all
          > > have a "male"
          > > fitting on the stove causing a crimped away from the
          > > stove. Should I
          > > put in a double crimped pipe to correct this? Where
          > > is the best
          > > place to reverse the crimp? Thanks in advance for
          > > any info.
          > >
          > > Jonny
        • Jonny Perloff
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
            Thanks for all of the replys gentlemen. Actually 2 out of the 3
            stoves are air tight but they are designed the "old way" They are
            older stoves and maybe in transition years. I will try the 45 degree
            and maybe use a double crimped adapter closer to the stove.

            jonny

          • gstrom99@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
              In a message dated 11/14/03 10:45:21 AM Central Standard Time,
              wood@... writes:

              > However when "airtight " came in in the early 1970s stoves changed so
              > that the crimp went into the stove

              I agree here. The instructions with my Excel stovepipe were for the crimped
              end to go TOWARD the stove. Sounded weird to me, too...
              That's the way mine went together. No problems.

              Gary

            • T.nut
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
                This holds true for gas appliances,but not for wood
                heating.You want crimp towards stove so the creosote
                will run down the inside of pipe,not the outside.Shawn

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
                  Crimp always supposed to be closer to heat source

                  Chuck
                  Ct

                • MU3MAN@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
                    Crimp always closest to heat source.

                    Chuck
                    Ct

                  • MU3MAN@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
                      You're also leaking creosote? Time for a major flue cleanup. Stop burning
                      any fires until it's cleaned right.

                      Chuck
                      Ct

                    • JOSEPH LEBER
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 16, 2003
                        Explain yourself and draw a picture of what your
                        saying. Thank you.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 16, 2003
                          Hi, Thank you for explainning why the difference with
                          the crimps. That does make sense about the creosote.
                          So therefore if you see creosote-clean the flue. I've
                          got some triple-wall stacked somewhere, I'll have to
                          look at how each piece fited into the other. It's
                          been 17 years since I installed that kind of stuff.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 16, 2003
                            No need to explain. EVERY woodstove i've ever seen has had need for
                            the "crimped end" to be the end closest to the stove, whicj would naturally
                            allow air to draw but also would let any creosote possibly run down into the stove
                            to burn off.

                            Chuck

                            (draw picture)?

                          • Paul Mill
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 17, 2003
                              I too am familiar with stove pipe having the crimp
                              (smaller dia) ends closer, or pointing to, the heat
                              source. As wood heat had a natural draw, smoke should
                              not leak out if the pipe isn't perfectly sealed - it
                              will draw a tiny bit of air in through the 'leaks'.

                              but the creosote & goo & rain will stay inside the
                              chimney, dripping down to the cleanout.

                              That's how I see things done here in Minnesota. Don't
                              know what code, or right or wrong, is, but this seems
                              to work.

                              --->Paul

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 18, 2003
                                Hi all. I stand corrected about wood burning flues.
                                You are correct about the smaller end (crimped) goes
                                towards the heat source. I'm suprised that I forgot
                                that. I've installed tens of thousands of those
                                pieces of pipe years ago. I didn't think I was
                                getting that old.