Re: [woodheat] insurance & pellet/grain stoves

  • Cal Wallis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8 8:30 AM
      >Wood stoves are definately every bit "as safe" as pellet stoves. I
      >surely hope no one in the industry is proomoting them as different.

      Often pellet stoves are promoted as through the wall vent
      installations; these regularly smoke up a house and the insurance
      company gets stuck with cleaning the house., which is pretty darn
      expensive. I think this is the reason for the dead end you found.

      Cal

    • geeeber@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10 11:42 AM
        I checked with my Insurance Co. on that insurance issue.
        He said there was a surcharge of $40/yr for pellet,grain, wood
        stoves.
        But I'm would like more info on that wall vent regularly smoking
        up a house.
        Jeeeber.

        --- In woodheat@y..., Cal Wallis <wood@s...> wrote:
        > >Wood stoves are definately every bit "as safe" as pellet stoves. I
        > >surely hope no one in the industry is proomoting them as different.
        >

        > Often pellet stoves are promoted as through the wall vent
        > installations; these regularly smoke up a house and the insurance
        > company gets stuck with cleaning the house., which is pretty darn
        > expensive. I think this is the reason for the dead end you found.
        >
        > Cal
        >

        > >Checked with my insurance company and they will not insure a pellet
        > >stove period! Don't matter if its the standard wood pellet or the
        > >grain burning ones. So I figured they wouldn't insure a wood stove
        > >either. Get this he says if you have a properly installed stove up
        > >to local codes no problem and my house rates will NOT even change!
        > >
        > >He even ph. the insurance company up to double check as he had had
        > >this problem before. Well they told him no way not even a higher
        > >rate. He says other companies he deals with will but give such a
        > >high rate so people go else where.
        > >
        > >So whats the deal with pellet stoves that insurance companies don't
        > >like them. I thought they were "safer" then wood stoves. Thats one
        of
        > >the selling features of them.
        > >
        > >He said he could get me insurance from someone but I would have to
        > >change companies and redo everthing and I would be paying higher
        > >rates etc.
      • John Gulland
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 11 6:49 AM
          > Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:42:32 -0000
          > From: geeeber@...
          > Subject: Re: insurance & pellet/grain stoves
          >
          > I checked with my Insurance Co. on that insurance issue.
          > He said there was a surcharge of $40/yr for pellet,grain, wood
          > stoves.
          > But I'm would like more info on that wall vent regularly smoking
          > up a house.
          > Jeeeber.

          Horizontal through the wall pellet vent installations don't produce any natural
          draft because there is no rise. If a power failure occurs while the unit is
          operating, the exhaust fan fails and the pellets remaining in the burn pot
          smoulder. With no draft to drive the exhaust out the vent, the smoke finds its
          way into the room through any available openings. This problem only occurs
          during power failures. There is also some evidence that horizontal vent
          installations are susceptible to backdrafting high wind conditions.

          To resolve the problem installers often recommend adding 4 - 5 feet of rise on
          the vent and using a 90 and either a normal cap or a 45 degree elbow to
          terminate it outside. The idea is that, should a power failure occur, the rise
          would produce just enough natural draft to exhaust the smoke from the remaining
          pellets. This strategy works best if the rise in the vent is inside the room,
          not outside. Battery back-up systems are also available to deal with the same
          problem.

          Insurance companies have reacted badly and irrationally to the problem of pellet
          stove smoking. There have been a very few examples of serious smoke damage from
          faulty installations or malfunctioning pellet stove control systems, but mostly
          the insurance industry fear of pellet stoves is caused by companies taking
          action on unsubstantiated rumours. It is a shame that the insurance industry
          doesn't spend the money and take the time to research field reports before they
          cause hardship to users by reducing their choices.

          Regards,
          John