Follow-up pics of Jotul F3 (was RE:Test photo)

  • Johanne Tournier
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 17, 2011

    Hi, All –

    OK, here are three more pics of my Jotul F3, 1) the stove as it appears with the door closed, 2) a view with the door open, in which you can clearly see the wood that’s loaded, and 3) a view with that large piece of wood on the apron of the stove, showing the paper, kindling and smaller piece of wood. That larger piece of wood measures approximately 5” in diameter at its widest and 15 1/2” in length.

    I think you can see from the pictures that the available room in the firebox is quite limited, and my concern is that it might not be very practical – to hold a fire for any length of time, or to load several good-sized sticks in it and dampen it down, to perhaps burn all night.

    I hope that some of you will be able to help me with one or both of my “issues.” Thanks!

    Johanne

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                              Johanne L. Tournier

              Email – jltournier@...

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Message 2 of 11 , Aug 17, 2011
      I would bet ( but am not sure) that in that newer model
      Jotul that you cannot damp it down if it is one of
      the EPA certified models. I have seen many newer stove
      models that have only one speed and that is full burn
      because they removed the incomming air adjustable air valve
      or lever. This is because they want them to burn hot
      so that they will burn clean with clear smoke. Most all
      the pollution comes from damping down fires so the fires
      will last longer Thusly, I think burning all night is a thing
      of the past unless you have an automated pellet feed stove
      that will feed fuel every hour or two automatically.

      I am always in the market for a better stove and I
      like the better efficiency and cleaner air but
      I dont like the reduced firebox capacity and losing
      my ability to slow down the fire when it gets too hot.
      Scott

      --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "Johanne Tournier" <jltournier@...> wrote:

      > Hi, All -
      >

      > OK, here are three more pics of my Jotul F3, 1) the stove as it appears with
      > the door closed, 2) a view with the door open, in which you can clearly see
      > the wood that's loaded, and 3) a view with that large piece of wood on the
      > apron of the stove, showing the paper, kindling and smaller piece of wood.
      > That larger piece of wood measures approximately 5" in diameter at its
      > widest and 15 1/2" in length.
      >

      > I think you can see from the pictures that the available room in the firebox
      > is quite limited, and my concern is that it might not be very practical - to
      > hold a fire for any length of time, or to load several good-sized sticks in
      > it and dampen it down, to perhaps burn all night.
      >

      > I hope that some of you will be able to help me with one or both of my
      > "issues." Thanks!
      >

      > Johanne
      >

      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >
      > Johanne L. Tournier
      >
      > Email - jltournier@...
      >
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >
      > _____

    • Johanne Tournier
      Message 3 of 11 , Aug 17, 2011

        Oops, Scott, sorry – I inadvertently responded to your post in my email to T Bell. I hope that’s ok! Anyway, I would be interested to know if the stove can be shut down (reasonably tightly) or not.

        Thanks!

        Johanne

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                  Johanne L. Tournier

                  Email – jltournier@...

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        I would bet ( but am not sure) that in that newer model
        Jotul that you cannot damp it down if it is one of
        the EPA certified models. I have seen many newer stove
        models that have only one speed and that is full burn
        because they removed the incomming air adjustable air valve
        or lever. This is because they want them to burn hot
        so that they will burn clean with clear smoke. Most all
        the pollution comes from damping down fires so the fires
        will last longer Thusly, I think burning all night is a thing
        of the past unless you have an automated pellet feed stove
        that will feed fuel every hour or two automatically.

        I am always in the market for a better stove and I
        like the better efficiency and cleaner air but
        I dont like the reduced firebox capacity and losing
        my ability to slow down the fire when it gets too hot.
        Scott

        --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "Johanne Tournier" <jltournier@...> wrote:

        > Hi, All -
        >

        > OK, here are three more pics of my Jotul F3, 1) the stove as it appears
        with
        > the door closed, 2) a view with the door open, in which you can clearly
        see
        > the wood that's loaded, and 3) a view with that large piece of wood on the
        > apron of the stove, showing the paper, kindling and smaller piece of wood.
        > That larger piece of wood measures approximately 5" in diameter at
        its
        > widest and 15 1/2" in length.
        >

        > I think you can see from the pictures that the available room in the
        firebox
        > is quite limited, and my concern is that it might not be very practical -
        > hold a fire for any length of time, or to load several good-sized sticks
        in
        > it and dampen it down, to perhaps burn all night.
        >

        > I hope that some of you will be able to help me with one or both of my
        > "issues." Thanks!
        >

        > Johanne
        >

        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >
        > Johanne L. Tournier
        >
        > Email - jltournier@...
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >
        > _____

      • Bob
        Message 4 of 11 , Aug 17, 2011
          I don't know what stoves you're looking at, but in my almost thirty years in the industry I've never seen a stove without an air control.
          Overnight burns are far from being a thing of the past.  You just have to buy a quallity stove.

        • taborl@war.wyeth.com
          Message 5 of 11 , Aug 17, 2011
            I have not seen any stove with out air controls of some sort. They come in two formats, either incomming air control or a key damper on the outlet. If you have no controls, you probably ended up with a non certified wood stove that should have a key damper in it. Don't even look at the cheap stuff or anything that says epa exempt, or that needs a key damper. Get a quality stove that is EPA certified, they all come with air supply controls. I also concur on the quality stove idea. Get a good quality stove from a manufacturer that has been in the business for years. If your looking for another better stove, also check out the rating at Heart.com. That will give you a good idea of whether the unit is build right, and whether the manufacturer backs up the stove.

            Also about damping down the fire for that over night burn: With a quality stove(EPA certified) and proper supply air control, you will be able to extend the fire for hours at a time. The only exception is when you have a chimney that is too tall and produces too much draft. When you have too much draft, the secondary air supply might provide too much air which will overfire the stove. (This is a rare thing.) If you have a very tall inside chimney, you may have to use other techniques to lower the secondary air (or buy one that has that type of control). However, mosts epa certified stoves, on the market, work well with most modern house chimneys.

            As for Johanne, smaller wood is better for your new stove. Smaller wood is the only way to go with an EPA certified wood stove. These stoves can not handle large diameter wood, like the old in-efficient wood stoves of the past. TNew stoves need the right size wood, so that they can have the proper amount of burning surfaces, to burn clean. Pieces 5 inches in diameter is a little too big for your new stove. And that is ok. Read the stove manual, it will specify a smaller diameter split wood size(probably 4 inches or less in diameter). That size of wood is better for your stove. Also read woodheat.org on "tips and techniques". It included wood supply issues like creating the right size wood for your stove. It also includes a huge lists of tips for starting, maintaining and controlling the fire in your new EPA certified wood stove. That is not the end of this journey. You will also have to experiment with your personal wood burning technique. These new techniques will only apply to your new stove in this new house. You will have to test and create the proper loading, and air supply positions for your stove in this new house. It will be different from your old house, but the changing techniques to fit your stove in this new house is the only way to move forward. And that will make for a more pleasant burning experience.

            About your new wood, just split it again to the right size, then cut off the ends so that the wood is the right length. Those short ends can come in handy for the flash fires technique that you will need as the fall apporaches. Also read about flash fire techniques in woodheat.org. Those techniques are handy tools to have as we approach the fall.

            Good luck with your new stove,

            Sam

            --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, 2scott@... wrote:

            > I would bet ( but am not sure) that in that newer model
            > Jotul that you cannot damp it down if it is one of
            > the EPA certified models. I have seen many newer stove
            > models that have only one speed and that is full burn
            > because they removed the incomming air adjustable air valve
            > or lever. This is because they want them to burn hot
            > so that they will burn clean with clear smoke. Most all
            > the pollution comes from damping down fires so the fires
            > will last longer Thusly, I think burning all night is a thing
            > of the past unless you have an automated pellet feed stove
            > that will feed fuel every hour or two automatically.
            >
            > I am always in the market for a better stove and I
            > like the better efficiency and cleaner air but
            > I dont like the reduced firebox capacity and losing
            > my ability to slow down the fire when it gets too hot.
            > Scott
            >
            > --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "Johanne Tournier" <jltournier@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, All -
            > >

            > > OK, here are three more pics of my Jotul F3, 1) the stove as it appears with
            > > the door closed, 2) a view with the door open, in which you can clearly see
            > > the wood that's loaded, and 3) a view with that large piece of wood on the
            > > apron of the stove, showing the paper, kindling and smaller piece of wood.
            > > That larger piece of wood measures approximately 5" in diameter at its
            > > widest and 15 1/2" in length.
            > >

            > > I think you can see from the pictures that the available room in the firebox
            > > is quite limited, and my concern is that it might not be very practical - to
            > > hold a fire for any length of time, or to load several good-sized sticks in
            > > it and dampen it down, to perhaps burn all night.
            > >

            > > I hope that some of you will be able to help me with one or both of my
            > > "issues." Thanks!
            > >

            > > Johanne
            > >

            > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > >
            > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > >
            > > Johanne L. Tournier
            > >
            > > Email - jltournier@
            > >
            > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > >
            > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > >
            > > _____

          • Johanne Tournier
            Message 6 of 11 , Aug 18, 2011

              Hi, Sam!

              Thanks for all the suggestions! I love burning wood, and would love to be able to take the time to split and cut it, but I’ll be attending graduate school full time starting in September, so I know I won’t have time to do it. Plus, I left my splitter at the old house, because I thought I wouldn’t need it. Also, my wedge and large sledge hammer, which I could barely lift! I just hate the idea of having to hire someone to further reduce the wood in size, even though it sounds like that’s what I’m going to have to do! Bummer!

              Take care,

              Johanne

                                        Johanne L. Tournier

                        Email – jltournier@...