interesting chimney booster fan here

  • 2scott@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2011
    • robert helsel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2011
        The basement fan looks interesting also

        --- On Sun, 7/24/11, 2scott@... <2scott@...> wrote:

        From: 2scott@... <2scott@...>
        Subject: [woodheat] interesting chimney booster fan here
        To: woodheat@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, July 24, 2011, 8:56 AM

        http://www.tjernlund.com/retail/default.htm#

      • taborl@war.wyeth.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2011
          DId I miss the interesting part? It would be interesting to be both in the dark, and cold, when the power goes out. It might be a better idea to just fix the chimney, so that you have draft all of the time.

          On the other hand, the inline duct fans could be help move cold air back from the far end of a poorly designed house and into the stove room. This can help move warm air down the central hall way of a ranch house(sorry, a poorly designed house). I would price shop for inline duct fans, these seem a little more expensive than they need to be. Quality could be a decision point, but the fans don't seem to be branded, thus it would be hard to make a choice based on price alone.

          Sam

          --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, 2scott@... wrote:

          > http://www.tjernlund.com/retail/default.htm#

        • Scott Perkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2011
            Seems to me the chimney booster fan would be an aid to getting
            everything started and then turn it off. This would help avoid
            that pesky tendency to fill the house up with smoke when you
            are first building the fire.

          • taborl@war.wyeth.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26, 2011
              Even if the chimney was on the edge and only needed a little help to get going, the problem is that the fan(and its mass) is still in the way once the fire is going. You would need a lot more draft to overcome the blockage caused by the fan's housing. Since the chimney that needs the fan is already compromised(low draft), placing this much hardware on top of the chimney will most likely "not" permit you to turn off the fan. It blocks too much of the surface area.

              Also, if you could turn it off, you would have to be concerned with collapse of the draft when the fire is dying down. That could be serious. If it were me, I would work on fixing the chimney issues instead of trying to put a band aid on a poor situation.

              As for the duct fans, and moving cold air from the far reaches of the house to the stove room, that type of mechanical aid is effective in a poorly designed ranch house. My house is that type of 40 foot wide ranch, which can use a little help moving heat down that central hall. I installed the cold air return duct work last summer using the 6 inch duct fan($39 from Lowes). The duct work runs from the bedroom back to the living room where the wood stove is located. This system is not instantaneous at moving a lot of heat, but after 2 hours of moving cold air to the living room, it evens out the heat between the living room and the rooms to a differential of about 5 degrees F. It is also a feature that allowed me to cut another 1/3 off my NG heating bill last winter. It paid for itself in one heating season.

              Sam

              --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Scott Perkins <2scott@...> wrote:

              > Seems to me the chimney booster fan would be an aid to getting
              > everything started and then turn it off. This would help avoid
              > that pesky tendency to fill the house up with smoke when you
              > are first building the fire.

            • Donald Russell
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26, 2011
                Anybody mention that it simply cost too damned much for what it supposedly
                does for you?

                --
                Donald Russell

              • Scott Perkins
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26, 2011
                  I mentioned this in the first place because of my interest since
                  having installed something similar but in my case I used
                  a shop vacuum for the air flow and I used the venturi effect
                  principle to make sure there were no obstructions in the
                  existing chimney. From my short glance at the fan
                  and the installation, I thought it was a squirrel cage
                  fan mounted on the exterior of the chimney pipe with
                  no internal obstruction at all.