Re: Steel King Wood Furnace

  • samiamrd
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2010
      You need to look for the name plate on the unit. It should tell you what the power requrements are for the blower fan, and any other specifics about the stove. Try looking in the air inlet section where the fan is, or would be located. There should be a name plate there.

      Secondary to all of this, for your own safety, you need to know if the unit is compromised in any way. Most of these furnaces have a very long life, however, you probably don't know if it has been sitting in water or in a damp basement for years (maybe decades). You should plan to take the outside shell off and inspect the exterior of the firebox and heat exchangers. You would be looking for rust through or burn through on any part of the main steel body, or at the weld points. If they there is damage, you will need to repair it. If you can not do this, then it would be wise to just replace it.

      Lastly, there is a reason that the company went out of business. Maybe it is time to retire this unit, and replace it with something a newer. There is a price for peace of mind. Maybe having a new furnace, would be better for you and your house in the long run. It would also make your insurance company feel better, which would pay for itself in the long run. Also, try a few insurance companies, some do not like wood stoves or wood furnaces if they are used for primary heating.

      Sam

      --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "steve_vanderhill" <svanderhill@...> wrote:

      > I have a Steel King wood furnace and my insurance carrier is requesting if it is a UL listed product. Steel King is no longer in business so I can not contact them. I have not seen anything on the box of the furnace or where the power cord goes into the unit to operate the fans.
      >
      > Wondering if anyone has an idea on how to determine if the unit is indeed a UL listed product.

    • F G
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2010
        Do you have a picture of this  ?