squeeky hinges

  • knutewolter
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hi all- Does anybody know of a high temperature lube that could be used on the hinges of a woodstove? I use grafite now but it only lasts for a day or two. Maybe a Never Sieze type substance(minus the grease)?
    • shfarmgirl
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
        --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "knutewolter" <knutewolter@...> wrote:

        > Hi all- Does anybody know of a high temperature lube that could be used on the hinges of a woodstove? I use grafite now but it only lasts for a day or two. Maybe a Never Sieze type substance(minus the grease)?

        The graphite lube you use now is probably the best solution, most are good up to 1000 degrees F.
        http://woodstovewarehouse.com/
      • yahoogroups@bsupply.us
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
          Try removing all lube and working the door back and forth dry with downward
          pressure on the hinges. The idea is to try to grind off the high and or
          rusty spots. then relube the hinges and see how it goes. Graphite packing
          for faucets is sold in string like rolls, a couple of wraps of that around
          each hinge may last longer than a past or spray. Perhaps even some plumbers
          solder worked into the hinge area. Tinning flux might work too. It should
          clean the steel and tin it with a little of the solder at operating temps.
          Nearly any plumber or plumbing store has some of that in little tins.

          gggGary

          from Wisconsin

          _____

          > Hi all- Does anybody know of a high temperature lube that could be used on
          the hinges of a woodstove? I use grafite now but it only lasts for a day or
          two. Maybe a Never Sieze type substance(minus the grease)?

          The graphite lube you use now is probably the best solution, most are good
          up to 1000 degrees F.
          http://woodstovewar <http://woodstovewarehouse.com/> ehouse.com/

        • linctexpilot
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2010
            I have some molybdenum-disulphide lube paste you could try if you like. It will withstand over 1000 degrees CELSIUS. I am not sure what that is in Fahrenheit. It is used on fasteners in the "hot section" of very high performance turbine engines in classified military aircraft. It comes in a plain can with a black and white label and says "Dept. of Defense L-25681D" and a date of mnanufacture and lot number. I could put a little bit in a sandwich baggie and mail it to you?

            Cheers,
            Linc

            --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "knutewolter" <knutewolter@...> wrote:

            > Hi all- Does anybody know of a high temperature lube that could be used on the hinges of a woodstove? I use grafite now but it only lasts for a day or two. Maybe a Never Sieze type substance(minus the grease)?

          • knute wolter
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2010
              Hi Linc- I purchased a 1oz tube of Permatex anti seize lube from AutoZone for 3.00$ . It's good to 1600deg. F (870 C) . After an unpleasant burn off, it seems to be doing the job. Among ingredients listed are calcium oxide, graphite, and silica. Thanks for the offer though; that stuff you use sounds real space age.  Knute