RE: [woodheat] Outdoor Forced Air Wood Furnace

  • Larry Lapanowski
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2010
      I'm not sure what an RSF is. These things are not nearly as expensive as a OWB, about $4000, $3000 after tax credit. I have thought about an add on, but I currently have a high-efficiency furnace with no chimney. It would be difficult and expensive to run a SS chimney from my basement. This furnace is similar to an add on, it just sits outside and then the hot air is connected to your existing duct work, so the distribution of heat is taken care of, heck I can even heat my basement, which currently is an ice box because my wood appliance is on the first floor.
      I guess going outside to load wood is a negative, but I would trade that for not having to bring the wood and its mess into the house.

      Thanks,Larry

      To: woodheat@yahoogroups.com
      From: yahoogroups@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:56:00 -0600
      Subject: RE: [woodheat] Outdoor Forced Air Wood Furnace

      There are very few of those out there, is it an RSF? Not just being nosy.

      Here's my thought process, (FWIW LOL) A new outdoor stove is expensive.

      You lose some efficiency with the fire being outdoors. You will still have

      to get that heat distributed around the house. Have you considered a wood

      furnace in the basement? Being in Michigan (even lower Michigan) I figure

      you have a basement and central furnace? Just tossing out ideas here. I

      would think going out side to stoke a furnace would get old pretty quick. I

      refill my wood box about every 4 days in cold weather and that's plenty of

      quality outdoors time for me.

      gggGary

      It is just a EPA certified zero clearance fireplace with a catalytic

      converter. Sealed doors, etc. heats the air around firebox and then blows

      it out. It works good, it just isn't in the center of the house and I think

      is undersized for the size of the house.

      Larry

      To: woodheat@yahoogroups.com

      From: yahoogroups@...

      Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:37:20 -0600

      gggGary

      from Wisconsin

      I currently have a fireplace xtraordinaire that works,

      Hmm, what is that?

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 3, 2010
        I am going to have my nephew build one for me to use next Winter.
        He has made a lot of them but not with secondary air.
        I will show him how to build a cleaner burning stove.
        He is a master welder and has access to very cheap metal where he works.
        He runs the welding and fabrication shop for a local steel company.
        The last one he built cost him $42 USD.

        Alan in Michigan

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2010
          I have a walk out basement and I plan to build a woodshed that will be close to the door.
          Then I will build like an enclosed porch there so I can go through the wood shed then into the shed roofed room that the stove will be in without ever going all the way outside.
          The stove will keep the whole wood shed warm.
          His stoves use two old furnace blowers to push hot air into the ductwork.
          I have been in his house in the Winter and the whole house was toasty warm.

          Alan in Michigan

          To: woodheat@yahoogroups.com

          From: yahoogroups@...

          Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:37:20 -0600

        • yahoogroups@bsupply.us
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2010
            gggGary

            It would be difficult and expensive to run a SS chimney from my basement.

            Won't that furnace need just as tall of a chimney, or won't you mind smoke
            in your house?

          • Bob Reite
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2010
              The chimney has to be about 2 feet taller than the tallest part of the roof.

              yahoogroups@... wrote:

              > gggGary
              >
              > It would be difficult and expensive to run a SS chimney from my basement.
              >
              > Won't that furnace need just as tall of a chimney, or won't you mind smoke
              > in your house?

              > ------------------------------------
            • Alan
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                2 or 3 feet taller than any part of the roof within 10 feet of it.

                Alan in Michigan

                yahoogroups@... wrote:

                > gggGary
                >
                > It would be difficult and expensive to run a SS chimney from my basement.
                >
                > Won't that furnace need just as tall of a chimney, or won't you mind smoke
                > in your house?

              • Larry Lapanowski
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                  In my case it would allow me to locate the stove at a spot on my house that is 1 story instead of 2 stories. Plus the chimney wouldn't necessarily have to be SS, although mine probably would be.
                  Now this is a question not a statement. If I located the stove more than 10 feet away from the house wouldn't I just need a standard 3' or 4' section. I've always read a chimney needs to be 2' higher than anything within 10' of it. I'm sure I'm simplifying this, so any input would be appreciated.
                  Larry

                  To: woodheat@yahoogroups.com
                  From: yahoogroups@...
                  Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 20:32:55 -0600

                  gggGary

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                    A short stack near your house or even a tall one can be a fairly serious
                    issue. That smoke don't know squat about code, Just sayin' you know? I
                    wouldn't put a short smoke stack 10' from my house. Your wife might have
                    issues with that too.
                    If you put that stove 10' away you will have significant heat losses in the
                    connecting ducts as well as those from the unit itself. Moving air through
                    10' X 2 plus the distance from the house wall to the existing ducts Plus the
                    effect of 90 degree turns if it needs to go down to the basement to connect
                    will require a pretty good fan(s) also $$$. Not saying this won't work,
                    just want you to go into this eyes open.
                    Find some installed units and talk to the owners, see what they really
                    think. I can guarantee it will use more wood than a comparable inside unit,
                    that might be OK for you but if you are buying wood could be a serious
                    issue. There is also the appearance of the stove and ducting in your yard.

                    gggGary
                    Looking at all sides
                    from Wisconsin

                    In my case it would allow me to locate the stove at a spot on my house that
                    is 1 story instead of 2 stories. Plus the chimney wouldn't necessarily have
                    to be SS, although mine probably would be.
                    Now this is a question not a statement. If I located the stove more than 10
                    feet away from the house wouldn't I just need a standard 3' or 4' section.
                    I've always read a chimney needs to be 2' higher than anything within 10' of
                    it. I'm sure I'm simplifying this, so any input would be appreciated.
                    Larry

                    gggGary

                    It would be difficult and expensive to run a SS chimney from my basement.

                    Won't that furnace need just as tall of a chimney, or won't you mind smoke

                    in your house?

                  • caleb towles
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                      Hello,

                      I hope that I can help a little on your decision. I am on my second year of using a wood furnace. I built a shed 10 feet away from the house that the wood furnace is in.

                      Here are the positives and negatives that I have dealt with. Positives, you keep the mess outside. You get even heat throughout the house. I did have to open and close some of the vents to help with this. The negatives, going outside when you have to put wood on the fire. When I stuff the stove full of good hard wood, I have nice red coals after 8 hours. When the weather gets under 10 degrees, it will not keep up with the house. This requires wood added every 4 hours. The biggest negative is the amount of wood you will go through. I estimate I will have gone through 9 cords of wood for a 1500 sq. ft. house. Trust me, that is a lot of wood. The other factor that you have to consider is the electricity you will use running a fan most of the time. It adds up. If I could, I would put a wood stove in my house. I want to feel the radiant heat and see a beautiful fire. Can't do this with the wood furnace. It would be nice not to have to go outside all the time to add to the fire. Another negative, that bothers me is the amount of heat loss I get from the stove itself. You will have to vent the shed very well. With no insulation in my shed and open vents on two of the four sides, it stays close to 100 degrees. The heat from the stove alone would heat your basement.

                      I would suggest if at all possible, to put the wood furnace in the basement or stay with the wood stove.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Caleb

                      > To: woodheat@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: llapanowski@...
                      > Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:55:51 -0500
                      > Subject: RE: [woodheat] Outdoor Forced Air Wood Furnace
                      >

                      > It is just a EPA certified zero clearance fireplace with a catalytic converter. Sealed doors, etc. heats the air around firebox and then blows it out. It works good, it just isn't in the center of the house and I think is undersized for the size of the house.
                      > Larry
                      >
                      > To: woodheat@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: yahoogroups@...
                      > Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:37:20 -0600
                      > Subject: RE: [woodheat] Outdoor Forced Air Wood Furnace

                      > gggGary
                      >

                      > from Wisconsin
                      >

                      > I currently have a fireplace xtraordinaire that works,
                      >

                      > Hmm, what is that?

                    • Larry Lapanowski
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                        Thank you Caleb for that information.
                        Larry

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                          In the past couple of weeks we've had a few really bad suggestions on wood
                          heaters on this list.
                          Radical designs and ideas promoted by a single web site selling a unique
                          product should be viewed with intense scrutiny.

                          The wood heating industry over the past couple of decades has pulled
                          itself from out of the business of making unsubstantiated claims about the
                          products they build into an era of safety and performance standards which
                          products must pass. This has made it a lot easier for customers to
                          compare and select products based on third party testing.

                          Those internet hucksters who would avoid all such testing, like the few
                          we've heard from here since the holidays are only out for themselves or
                          else simply don't understand wood heating. Either way: Leave them behind.

                          In looking at this outdoor furnace a few things leap out.

                          1. It says nowhere on the site that the unit is UL certified - ie safety
                          certified. All wood burning equipment sold should safety certified. -
                          furnaces, stoves, fireplaces. Your insurance company usually will insist
                          on it.

                          2. This furnace is not EPA listed. It will burn a lot more wood and
                          require a lot more chimney cleaning - because the creosote etc is not
                          burned in the furnace. EPA certified stuff burns 1/3 less wood, with 90%
                          less emissions.

                          3. The site says you can use as a chimney single wall smoke pipe. With
                          the much higher emissions and this coldest of all possible chimneys,
                          creosote will run right out....as their site hints when it tells you how
                          to remove creosote stains. Creosote is a sign of very poor combustion.

                          4. Encouraging outside chimneys on a house is a poor recommendation.
                          Building, offering for sale, and promoting an outside dirty burning (non
                          EPA) wood burning "heating unit" with single wall chimney 4 feet from the
                          outside wall is crazy.

                          The internet provides an unprecedented advertising forum for unscrupulous
                          welders to offer for sale, with absurd hype, such poor products to
                          uninformed victims. This product is only one of many dangerous, almost
                          impossible to use products designed primarily to move your money to them.

                          A cursory look at the web sites any major manufacturer of wood heating
                          equipment would show many common features. Most have passed UL or
                          equivalent safety standard, and EPA or equivalent (in Europe) emissions
                          standard. The site will have diagrams to show the interior of the unit and
                          how it achieves clean burn, and an online owner's manual so you can study
                          how to install it properly before you buy.

                          Statements like the one on their web site should scare you about who is
                          building this furnace: "Using a creosote treatment will extend the life of
                          your furnace, but will also help with cleaner burning and a safer, cleaner
                          chimney. There are many types incuding logs, sprays, shots, and powder."
                          This is a combo of complete fabrication and nonsense. It should scare you
                          to leave the site!

                          The "Fireplace Xtrodinaire" you have is a good solid fireplace made by a
                          long established quality company and is listed by UL and EPA, uses solid
                          pack insulated metal chimney, and will heat decently for decades. That
                          was a good choice.

                          Reconsider this furnace - it is a bunch of hype with no proof of
                          performance from a builder whose web site suggestions inappropriate
                          installation using inappropriate materials in a radical manner (outside
                          the home) which no reputable company would consider offering for sale.

                          This Yahoo group is to help people burn wood better - through good
                          products, proper installation, dry wood, and improving technique.

                          This thread does none of these, but it might help if it serves as a
                          reminder that what is written on the web is not gospel, that standards
                          exist and decent manufacturers build to them (and pass), that certain
                          installations are doomed, and if it's too good to believe ... it is.

                          Cal Wallis

                          > I'm curious if anybody has a forced air outdoor wood furnace, such as a
                          > wadena (http://www.theoutdoorfurnace.com/) This is not a boiler, more
                          > like a zero clearance fireplace that you hook up to your duct work. I
                          > currently have a fireplace xtraordinaire that works, but I think is
                          > undersized for my house and I have a hard time distributing heat through
                          > both stories. There really is no place to add a indoor stove, unless I
                          > rip the fireplace out, which won't work. Some of these furnaces qualify
                          > for the tax rebate, so I assume they are pretty efficient. I'm curious if
                          > it heats as advertised, I'm in lower Michigan, so it gets pretty cold but
                          > not like upper Michigan or Canada. The last thing I want to do is make
                          > the investment and be unhappy. I really like the idea of getting the mess
                          > of burning wood out of the house.
                          > Thanks,
                          > Larry
                        • Larry Lapanowski
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                            I've been part of this list for many years and read most of the threads, I consider alot of you experts in the field, that is why I asked the question. I thank all of you that have taken the time to educate me (and others hopefully) on this product. This group is the reason I don't own a OWB, and probably won't own this forced air version.
                            Thanks,
                            Larry

                            To: woodheat@yahoogroups.com
                            From: wood@...
                            Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 09:08:45 -0500

> [...]

                            Cal Wallis

                            > I'm curious if anybody has a forced air outdoor wood furnace, such as a

                            > wadena (http://www.theoutdoorfurnace.com/) This is not a boiler, more

                            > like a zero clearance fireplace that you hook up to your duct work. I

                            > currently have a fireplace xtraordinaire that works, but I think is

                            > undersized for my house and I have a hard time distributing heat through

                            > both stories. There really is no place to add a indoor stove, unless I

                            > rip the fireplace out, which won't work. Some of these furnaces qualify

                            > for the tax rebate, so I assume they are pretty efficient. I'm curious if

                            > it heats as advertised, I'm in lower Michigan, so it gets pretty cold but

                            > not like upper Michigan or Canada. The last thing I want to do is make

                            > the investment and be unhappy. I really like the idea of getting the mess

                          • laynes69_99
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                              We heat with a caddy furnace in our old 2400 sq ft victorian. It does well until around the single digits, then the furnace will run a couple of times. This year we have used 25 gallons of LP since winter, which includes cooking, laundry and the furnace. Its Epa certified, burns clealy and is a nice looking unit. I would recommend you look at them if your in the market for a indoor wood furnace. We switched from a old standard furnace, and this one is a world of difference. We have burned maybe 4 cords since the beginning of october this year.
                            • denny Hancock
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                                I have a Wadena. This is my first year using it-so far so good. Cal was right about the creosote mess. It drips it. But it's outside. Wadena is a good stove. It was an easy install, although my insurance wanted a pro to install it. The company itself is on good standing with the BBB, and it had the magical "efficiency rating of at least 75%" to get the tax credit.
                                It's not the most ideal set up, but since I don't have a chimney running from my basement, and I didn't want to spend 8-12,000 on a boiler, it works for me.
                                I think I'll burn about 20 to 25 face cord for a well insulated 2200 sf house in Wisconsin. It has no problem heating the place, even on the coldest days here. Also whenever I had any questions,the company has been happy to answer.

                                So, the positives: It's outside, more affordable than a boiler, keeps the house toasty without propane, 8 hour burn times.

                                Negatives: It's outside, a good ss chimney and stove will cost about 4000, it's messy, it's ugly, you have to use electricity to use it, and you go through tons of wood.

                                I'm happy with it though, and I would buy it again. I hope this helps. Good luck.

[...]
                                http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 201469230/ direct/01/

                              • Bob Reite
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 4, 2010
                                  I looked at the web site for it, and it did not give much detail of the
                                  interior construction. While it's not a still box with water around it,
                                  which burns really horrible unless modified, I still don't think that
                                  the Wadena has good combustion, otherwise there would not be all the
                                  references to creosote dripping out of the thing.

                                  It also takes more energy to move heated air then to transfer the same
                                  amount of heat with water.