New content at The Woodpile

  • John Gulland
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2009
      We have posted new content at The Woodpile today.
      http://woodheat.org/woodpile/

      http://woodheat.org/woodpile/index.php?option=com_content&vi
      ew=article&id=33:people-can-learn-to-burn-wood-without-smoke
      &catid=25:public-education&Itemid=10
      "People can learn to burn without smoke
      More evidence that users will respond to good advice on burn
      technique
      Until now the main responses to smoke pollution problems
      have been the promotion of advanced technology equipment,
      and various kinds of restrictions up to and including
      outright bans on wood burning. Our experience suggests that
      information and education should be considered another
      useful strategy."
      John
    • John Gulland
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
        New content has been posted at The Woodpile, a project of
        The Woodheat Organization. You'll find it here:
        http://woodheat.org/woodpile/

        Today's Highlights:

        Wood Heating and Energy Literacy
        "If you pay attention to discussions of energy issues, you
        could hardly avoid the conclusion that there are no forms of
        energy that are any good. This is despite the fact that
        Canadian and US citizens still have a big appetite for
        energy of all types. The same people who, by any reasonable
        measure are excessive consumers of energy, fight strenuously
        to stop energy developments where they live. Apparently the
        only acceptable forms of energy are ones produced out of
        sight and out of mind. Here is a list of the main energy
        sources and the perfectly valid reasons why they shouldn’t
        be used."

        Wood Burning in the Media, January 12, 2010
        A compilation of news and commentary gathered from
        mainstream media and blogosphere.

        John

      • John Gulland
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
          A new feature article and news summary have been posted at
          The Woodpile.

          Wood Smoke Emission Reductions Through Public Education
          "After almost thirty years of telling people to burn only
          dry wood and not to let their fires smolder, we should admit
          that such general instructions don’t work very well. I speak
          from experience, having co-authored the following statements
          decades ago in a booklet that was widely distributed. . . .
          "

          I suspect subscribers to this group will find the above
          article especially interesting.

          Also posted this morning:
          Wood Burning in the Media, Feb. 23, 2010

          Visit The Woodpile
          http://woodheat.org/woodpile/
          Regards,
          John Gulland
          The Woodpile
          woodheat.org/woodpile
          Discussing the Future of Residential Wood Heating

        • John Gulland
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
            We have posted a new article and wood heat news items at The
            Woodpile.
            The Politics of Wood Heating
            "It may seem a strange title for a commentary about a form
            of home heating that is often seen as quaint and dated. But
            if politics is the process by which we decide how to manage
            our lives together, then yes, there certainly is a politics
            of wood heating. Some people heat with wood and like it, and
            other people think it is a terrible way to heat houses, and
            there you have the makings of a contest of ideas and
            therefore politics."

            See: http://woodheat.org/woodpile/

            Recent articles on The Woodpile:

            Wood Smoke Emission Reductions Through Public Education

            After 20 Years U.S. EPA Revisits the Wood Stove Program

            Sustainable Firewood: Recycling Atmospheric Carbon

            Energy Quiz: What renewable fuel delivers the most net
            energy?

            Do soot emissions mean that wood heating causes global
            warming?

            The haze of wood smoke over town on a winter morning

            John

          • Andy A
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
              I'm replying here so at not to join yet another group. :-)  When we compare wood heat polution, which there IS, to an extent, we have to compare it to the alternative.  For example, oil or gas heating involves drilling, pipelines, refineries, etc.  There is a refineriy south of the biggest city in my state.  Whew, what a stinking place that is!

              My electricity comes from coal fired generation, for the most part.  Wikipedia says that coal fired plants use 10,500 BTU/KWH.  And the generation is 32% efficient.  I would think that refers to the coal being burned to make the electricity, but doesn't take into account the fuel for digging the hole in the ground, transporting the coal, building the generation plant, etc.  One could easily make the case that the efficiency is way less than 32%.

              My wood is cut by machine, a machine hoists it onto the truck, which transports it less than 50 miles.  6 loggers cords can be cut up using two gallons of gas.  Splitting it runs on people power (maybe hamburgers.)  Then the wood stove burns it at maybe 50% efficiency.  I'm sure that the newer stoves are "supposed" to get higher efficiency, but woodheat.org and the other website warn that the manufacturers numbers might be skewed toward optimal results because of the type of wood used in the testing and the skill of the technicians.  Nevertheless, the GLOBAL comparison of efficiency is way in favor of wood burning.  Granted, that isn't exactly the same as how much polution is put into the atmosphere by a wood stove, it should be part of the mix and the politics.

              New content at The Woodpile

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2010
                New content has been posted at The Woodpile. See:

                Can Firewood be Compared to Conventional Heating Fuels?
                The Trouble with Heating Cost Calculations
                http://woodheat.org/woodpile/
                and
                Wood heating in the media.

                If you register at the site, you will automatically get
                email notification each time new content is posted, and will
                be able to join in the conversation about the issues.
                John
              • John Gulland
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 23, 2010
                  Hi,
                  A new article has been posted at The Woodpile. It is a Q&A
                  titled Straight Answers to Tough Questions About Wood
                  Heating. You'll find it here:
                  http://tinyurl.com/2evor8p

                  Teaser:
                  "Here is a list of awkward questions you might be asked:
                  1. Shouldn’t we be using new sources of energy instead of
                  going back to older, polluting sources?

                  2. If everyone heated with wood, wouldn’t the air be
                  polluted and wouldn’t the forests be destroyed?

                  3. Shouldn’t we be planting trees to combat global warming
                  instead of cutting them down and burning them?
                  4. Isn’t the idea that advanced technology, EPA certified
                  appliances limit pollution to acceptable levels just spin
                  put out by industry lobbyists, supported by gullible
                  bureaucrats?

                  5. Isn’t it selfish for a householder to heat with wood to
                  save a bit of money when they are polluting their neighbours
                  ’ air in doing so?

                  6. When all the time and work and maintenance expenses are
                  considered, isn’t it just as expensive to heat with wood as
                  with oil, gas and electricity?

                  7. Greenhouse gases are emitted when wood is burned, so when
                  you cut down a tree and burn it, aren’t you contributing to
                  global warming?

                  8. Doesn’t wood heating cause a lot more house fires than
                  oil, gas or electricity?

                  9. Isn’t the fact that the Lung Association says wood stoves
                  pollute indoor and outdoor air a convincing argument for
                  restricting wood burning?

                  10. With landfill sites filling up fast, and the costs of
                  disposal rising, isn’t it practical to reduce household
                  garbage by burning paper and cardboard in a wood stove?"

                  Get the straight answers at The Woodpile.
                  John
                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 23, 2010
                    Under this question,,,,

                    3. Shouldn’t we be planting trees to combat global warming instead of cutting them down and burning them?

                    I think I am doing my part.
                    I burn old shipping pallets.
                    If I don't burn them the City does.
                    Out at the old City dump site they now have an animal control office, mulch the
                    city's leaves and collect a mountain of pallets from all over town.

                    Every Fall they hire a shredder to come in and chew them up then once
                    the snow hits they have a huge fire.
                    That pile of wasted wood is usually big enough to heat my house for 15 years at least.

                    Alan in Michigan