RE: [woodheat] eye and face protection during splitting wood

  • yahoogroups@bsupply.us
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
      Safety glasses, wrap around plastic type, work for me when hand splitting. I
      think the shield will get in the way when swinging your maul. I wear a
      helmet with screen and ear protection when sawing AND the glasses. Pretty
      much anytime you are in the woods glasses are a good idea, doesn't take much
      to get poked by a branch or some brush. Spent a week in February cutting
      and brushing down in Kentucky helping clean up after the ice storm. No
      shortage of firewood down there. Downed trees and limbs everywhere for
      hundreds of miles. Buddy and I ran our saws pretty much for a week straight
      while four others stacked and hauled brush. Slept in a church. Them
      southern gals can cook! They will be cutting down wood for years in that
      area.

      gggGary

      from Wisconsin

      Greetings! I would like some opinions from people with experience
      cutting and/or splitting wood.

      If I was using a sledge hammer and wedge or mual or even using a chain
      saw, which would offer better protection and fit better:

      eye goggles or a face protector shield

      I would appreciate any and all views.

      Thank you.

      Best wishes.

      Lawrence

    • Bob Reite
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
        I always had trouble with goggles fogging up, so the next time I needed
        my eyeglass Rx changed I got ANSI rated frames with detachable side
        shields and polycarbonate lenses. So I just have to remember to put on
        the side shields when I go out splitting. If I'm sawing I add a hard
        hat, ear plugs and chaps. My daily foot wear is boots with ANSI rated
        steel toes, so I'm covered there.

        lfroberge0 wrote:
        > Greetings! I would like some opinions from people with experience
        > cutting and/or splitting wood.
        >
        > If I was using a sledge hammer and wedge or mual or even using a chain
        > saw, which would offer better protection and fit better:
        >
        > eye goggles or a face protector shield
        >
        > I would appreciate any and all views.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Best wishes.
        >
        > Lawrence

      • Rock
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
          Safety glasses/goggles with all 3.
          Shield and safety glasses when running the saw (Get a woodsman helmet, hardhat face shield & earmuff all in 1) don't forget chaps.
          Rock--- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "lfroberge0" <lroberge@...> wrote:

          > Greetings! I would like some opinions from people with experience
          > cutting and/or splitting wood.
          >
          > If I was using a sledge hammer and wedge or mual or even using a chain
          > saw, which would offer better protection and fit better:
          >
          > eye goggles or a face protector shield
          >
          > I would appreciate any and all views.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Best wishes.