wood burning and lung disease

  • madeleineasmith
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2003
      I need some advice. I love fires and recently decided to purchase a
      wood stove to install in my small fireplace as a primary source of
      heat for this coming winter.

      While on woodheat.org I visited their links page and was directed to
      burningissues.org (which the woodheat.org people said was a joke.)
      When I read over the site, I was surprised to find that burning wood
      can be very detrimental to your health! This was something I'd never
      considered and certainly I'd never seen mentioned on all the
      woodstove manufacturer's websites I'd just spent several months
      viewing.

      Normally, I wouldn't let this deter my decision, but I happen to have
      horrible allergies (I'm pretty much allergic to nearly everything
      that flies through the air.) On the Burning Issues website, they
      compared living in a home with a woodstove similar to living with a
      smoker. This really alarmed me as, after several years of living
      alone, three years ago I moved in with a smoker. I moved in during
      December and within 1 week, I had contracted bronchitis which didn't
      respond to three courses of antibiotics and ultimately didn't clear
      up until April. The next year it was more of the same. Bronchitis
      hit in December and was with me until Spring. Last winter, the
      smoker was gone and guess what? That's right, no bronchitis!

      Now while I'm excited by the prospect of a cozy fire all winter, the
      idea of sitting in front of the fire with a hacking cough and no
      prospect of relief until daffodils bloom kind of kills the fun.

      I wrote an email to woodheat.org asking they're opinion and advice
      and haven't received an answer. I know that if I ask my very
      conservative allergist he'll tell me "absolutely no" even though he
      may know nothing about woodstoves and particulate matter in the smoke.

      Can anyone give me any advice about how much smoke actually gets into
      the household air with the use of a woodstove? Are these stoves
      really sealed or are they unsafe? What kind of stove should I get
      and what kind of fires should I burn? Catalytic or non? Should my
      stove be lined in stone? Or should I completely give this idea up?
      Or, if you don't know, can you direct me somewhere that I can get the
      answers myself.

      I appreciate any advice? Thanks in advance.
    • Miro
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2003
        madelinea

        They're not "unsafe".
        You won't be able to totally prevent some
        smoke from entering the house.
        I don't think anyone here can comment as to
        your allergic reaction to the smoke you might
        be exposed to. Only you can do that.
        Before you spend any money you might want
        to visit a functioning woodstove, take a whiff,
        and evaluate your tolerance.
        I think that's the first answer you want.
        Then come back for the others.

        Good luck
        Miro
        > I need some advice. I love fires and recently decided to purchase a
        > wood stove to install in my small fireplace as a primary source of
        > heat for this coming winter.
        >
        > While on woodheat.org I visited their links page and was directed to
        > burningissues.org (which the woodheat.org people said was a joke.)
        > When I read over the site, I was surprised to find that burning wood
        > can be very detrimental to your health! This was something I'd never
        > considered and certainly I'd never seen mentioned on all the
        > woodstove manufacturer's websites I'd just spent several months
        > viewing.
        >
        > Normally, I wouldn't let this deter my decision, but I happen to have
        > horrible allergies (I'm pretty much allergic to nearly everything
        > that flies through the air.) On the Burning Issues website, they
        > compared living in a home with a woodstove similar to living with a
        > smoker. This really alarmed me as, after several years of living
        > alone, three years ago I moved in with a smoker. I moved in during
        > December and within 1 week, I had contracted bronchitis which didn't
        > respond to three courses of antibiotics and ultimately didn't clear
        > up until April. The next year it was more of the same. Bronchitis
        > hit in December and was with me until Spring. Last winter, the
        > smoker was gone and guess what? That's right, no bronchitis!
        >
        > Now while I'm excited by the prospect of a cozy fire all winter, the
        > idea of sitting in front of the fire with a hacking cough and no
        > prospect of relief until daffodils bloom kind of kills the fun.
        >
        > I wrote an email to woodheat.org asking they're opinion and advice
        > and haven't received an answer. I know that if I ask my very
        > conservative allergist he'll tell me "absolutely no" even though he
        > may know nothing about woodstoves and particulate matter in the smoke.
        >
        > Can anyone give me any advice about how much smoke actually gets into
        > the household air with the use of a woodstove? Are these stoves
        > really sealed or are they unsafe? What kind of stove should I get
        > and what kind of fires should I burn? Catalytic or non? Should my
        > stove be lined in stone? Or should I completely give this idea up?
        > Or, if you don't know, can you direct me somewhere that I can get the
        > answers myself.
        >
        > I appreciate any advice? Thanks in advance.
        >

        > Check THE woodheat web site at http://www.woodheat.org

      • John Gulland
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
          Madeleine,
          We did respond to your message to woodheat.org, but you used
          a different email address and I guess our response never
          reached you. This is what we wrote:
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Hi Madeleine,
          I would start by pointing out that the people at Burning
          Issues are a little fanatical and maybe not the best source
          of balanced information.

          On the other hand, you do have serious sensitivities that
          wood heating could make worse. But I would be concerned more
          about having a flow of firewood going through the house,
          with its associated moulds than I would about smoke in the
          house. To be clear, there is no good reason why you should
          get smoke in the house if your installation is right and you
          run the stove properly. If you follow the Ten Steps to
          Perfection, see:
          http://www.woodheat.org/planning/perfection.htm
          there is no reason why smoke should spill into the room.

          I will say that both my partner and I suffer from mild
          asthma and alergies, and wood heating does not make it worse
          in winter.
          The practice of wood heating is a deeply personal thing, and
          I make a practice of not trying to convince people that they
          should heat with wood, even though I am a keen proponent.

          Regards,
          John Gulland
          The Wood Heat Organization Inc.
          http://www.woodheat.org
          A non-commercial service in support of responsible home
          heating with wood
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          John

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/icTolB/TM
        • The Tates
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
            madeleine,
            i would think that u would get alot less smoke in ur house from a
            woodstove than from a fireplace. if you've been making fires in ur
            fireplace with no problems, then there is hope that u could enjoy the
            benefits of heating with wood. as miro suggests, find someone who heats
            with one and invite urself over!
            good luck,
            mark

            madeleineasmith wrote:

            > I need some advice. I love fires and recently decided to purchase a
            > wood stove to install in my small fireplace as a primary source of
            > heat for this coming winter.
            >
            > While on woodheat.org I visited their links page and was directed to
            > burningissues.org (which the woodheat.org people said was a joke.)
            > When I read over the site, I was surprised to find that burning wood
            > can be very detrimental to your health! This was something I'd never
            > considered and certainly I'd never seen mentioned on all the
            > woodstove manufacturer's websites I'd just spent several months
            > viewing.
            >
            > Normally, I wouldn't let this deter my decision, but I happen to have
            > horrible allergies (I'm pretty much allergic to nearly everything
            > that flies through the air.) On the Burning Issues website, they
            > compared living in a home with a woodstove similar to living with a
            > smoker. This really alarmed me as, after several years of living
            > alone, three years ago I moved in with a smoker. I moved in during
            > December and within 1 week, I had contracted bronchitis which didn't
            > respond to three courses of antibiotics and ultimately didn't clear
            > up until April. The next year it was more of the same. Bronchitis
            > hit in December and was with me until Spring. Last winter, the
            > smoker was gone and guess what? That's right, no bronchitis!
            >
            > Now while I'm excited by the prospect of a cozy fire all winter, the
            > idea of sitting in front of the fire with a hacking cough and no
            > prospect of relief until daffodils bloom kind of kills the fun.
            >
            > I wrote an email to woodheat.org asking they're opinion and advice
            > and haven't received an answer. I know that if I ask my very
            > conservative allergist he'll tell me "absolutely no" even though he
            > may know nothing about woodstoves and particulate matter in the smoke.
            >
            > Can anyone give me any advice about how much smoke actually gets into
            > the household air with the use of a woodstove? Are these stoves
            > really sealed or are they unsafe? What kind of stove should I get
            > and what kind of fires should I burn? Catalytic or non? Should my
            > stove be lined in stone? Or should I completely give this idea up?
            > Or, if you don't know, can you direct me somewhere that I can get the
            > answers myself.
            >
            > I appreciate any advice? Thanks in advance.
            >

            > Check THE woodheat web site at http://www.woodheat.org

          • Meszko William-Q10191
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2003
              madelinea,

              Adding to Miro's comments, don't forget that you will
              be dealing with wood itself, and with the ashes in addition to
              smoke. My woodstove smokes occasionally when the door is
              fully open for fueling - depends on weather outside. I'd suggest
              opening the door carefully. All things considered, I'd much rather
              live with a stove than a smoker.

              Bill Meszko
              Fort Worth