Re: [woodheat] owb

  • Dave wisky
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
      Bob
      My fireplace may have been a bit more efficient. I have a homemade hot water system, I heat the water in a grate made of 1" black iron pipe,  then went through a raditor / heat exchanger in the plenium.  I also have 2 rooms with hydronic in floor heat and also a couple baseboard heaters. It worked pretty well, I heated about 70% with it but I had to keep the fire blazing hot all the time. I used alot of wood. I hope the new OWB is a great improvement and I can just have a fire in the fireplace when the mood strikes me.
      Dave

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
        You have six cords now. I would guess, without knowing the efficiency
        of your OWB or the actual heat loss of the house that you will need
        between 8 and 10 cords.

        Dave wisky wrote:
        > anyone know about how much wood i could expect to burn over the winter? I live in southern Illinois and have about a 1700 sq ft house about 50 years old so i am sure it is poorley insulated.
        > I have a pile of wood about 8' wide 4' high and 24' long right now. i am guessing I need twice that much.
        > Dave

      • John Gulland
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
          Dave, it is not you that is unpopular, it is that
          conventional OBs are so backward technically, so inherently
          wasteful and polluting, that many of us find it hard to
          share your enthusiasm. I hope you are successful with yours
          and that you don't piss off your neighbors.
          John

          Checked by AVG.
          Date: 03/10/2008 6:17 PM
        • samiamrd
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
            If your wood is dry, 6 cords is good start for this winter. I agree
            that about 10 to 12 cords is a standard consumption for a OWB, and
            some furnaces, depending on the house, its heat loss, your OWB, and
            the OWB heat loss. If the heat production matches the heat load
            (+heat loss) without the start up/shutdown sequences, in combination
            with dry wood, then you have a chance at not offending your neighbors
            (depending on their proximity). These are the unit/design issues.

            Operator issues also create offensive nature of these units as a
            class. Part 1. Less than "best practices" in combination with a
            poor combustion system create the offensive nature of the beast.
            This means that you should not burn: garbage, plastics, trash, green
            wood(of any type), wet scrap wood type product(treated or not), or
            any other thing that sounds like "waste" that may/or may not be
            listed in the manual of the OWB. Only well seasoned cord wood
            should be burned in the unit. You can not get wood that is too dry
            for this unit(two season wood(under cover) is probably better).
            Part 2. Don't expect a 96 hour burn. There is no such thing as a
            clean, one load, long burn in one of thes units. This is an every
            day thing. If you match the wood quantity to the heat load and keep
            a constant fire, then you will have a better burn. Better operator
            practices can create a less offensive unit. Will this unit smoke,
            sure, but it does not have to be that blue giant plume of smoke that
            penetrates everything that is down wind every half hour.

            Like John said, it is not you. It is the unit, and its combustion
            system that makes these things offensive. But, you can run it
            better by using the best practices of having prepared dry wood(cut
            and split to size) and matching the heat production to the heat
            load. Avoid the on/off cycling of severly oversized systems, and
            you will have a better burn in a poor combustion system.

            By the way, what unit did you purchase? Something to think about.
            For the future, could heat storage be added? With heat storage, you
            could fire at the top rate, then capture the heat in your basement
            for later use. Some of the down draft units suggest a heat storage
            systems, to reduce firings, but one could work with your unit, if
            your OWB is oversized.

            Have a good day,

            Sam

            --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Dave wisky <flyer0524@...> wrote:

            > anyone know about how much wood i could expect to burn over the
            winter? I live in southern Illinois and have about a 1700 sq ft
            house about 50 years old so i am sure it is poorley insulated.
            > I have a pile of wood about 8' wide 4' high and 24' long right
            now. i am guessing I need twice that much.
            > Dave

          • bart_may telecCASTER
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
              Dave,

              Don�t worry about being popular with this group.
              The first time I joined talking about OWB some of them slaughtered me.
              Anyway onto OBW's wood consumption.

              I�m heating over 3,000 ft of absolutely no insulation. On the inside the plaster was applied right to the outside clay block walls. 55 single pane windows. Could not be anymore of a heating nightmare and I use 8-10 cords. My neighbor has a 2,000 ft house of new construction and say he only uses 3-4 cords per winter.

              So at 1,700 with poor insulation in Ill, your probably looking at 6-7 cords, depends how warm ya like it in the house. A nice point about OWB is all kinds of trash or limb woods put out allot more heat than just hard woods. If you got property it's great for cleaning up fallen limbs dead trees etc.

              Also Central Boiler came out last winter�with a downdraft gasification boiler that�s has little to no smoke and suppose to burn much less wood. The wood must be seasoned and it�s a new venture for Central Boiler.
              Have fun and get to diggin that ditch and pouring that slab, cold weather is comin on!!!!

              Good Luck,

              Bart/ VA

              Dave wisky wrote:
              > anyone know about how much wood i could expect to burn over the winter? I live in southern Illinois and have about a 1700 sq ft house about 50 years old so i am sure it is poorley insulated.
              > I have a pile of wood about 8' wide 4' high and 24' long right now. i am guessing I need twice that much.
              > Dave

            • trailtreader9
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                Dave,

                I live in Southern Indiana. My house is about the same size as yours
                and is not well insulated. I use about 6 cords in an average winter
                but I don't have an outside burner. My understanding is that outside
                burners in general are considerably less efficient than indoor stoves
                so Bob's estimate of 8 to 10 cords is probably in the ball park.

              • Dave wisky
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                  I bought a Shaver unit, main reason I chose this one is it is made with 3/8" steel firebox, and it is a simple system, parts available locally.
                  I have pored the pad about 80' to the north East of my house. The wind in the winter is usually out of the North or West I have no neighbors to the east of me for a mile or so, and I have neighbors to the West of me about 100 yards. I believe that I will not have an issue with smoke disturbing my neighbors.
                  Dave

                  e@yahoogroups. com

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • samiamrd
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                    Did you go with the 165 or the 140 unit? How does this units output
                    compare with your conventional furnace output(btu). Are you adding
                    in a domestic hot water loop to take up some of the extra heat
                    capacity?

                    Once you have run the unit for the winter please write up an
                    evaluation of the unit. Good evuations(or bad ones) help the next
                    person make an informed choice. It may also take some experimenting
                    to get match the heat output to the wood load. Finding the right
                    mix of fuel load, air, house heat need and exterior temperature will
                    help you use your 6 cords at a more optimum level. Just filling the
                    fire box two times a day may not be the optimum strategy, but you
                    will have to find this out. Also track wood usage to compare with
                    your fuel usage from last winter. This will tell you how you will
                    have to change your spring time cut quantities so that you end up
                    with the right amount of properly seasoned wood for the 2009-2010
                    season.

                    Good luck,

                    Sam

                    --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Dave wisky <flyer0524@...> wrote:

                    > I bought a Shaver unit, main reason I chose this one is it is made
                    with 3/8" steel firebox, and it is a simple system, parts available
                    locally.
                    > I have pored the pad about 80' to the north East of my house. The
                    wind in the winter is usually out of the North or West I have no
                    neighbors to the east of me for a mile or so, and I have neighbors
                    to the West of me about 100 yards. I believe that I will not have an
                    issue with smoke disturbing my neighbors.
                    > Dave

                  • thumphrey
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                      12 pick-up truck loads, or larger?

                      --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, bart_may telecCASTER <bart_may@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Dave,
                      >
                      > You wont be sorry.
                      > I LOVE my OWB.
                      >
                      > Bart/ VA

                    • Dave wisky
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 8, 2008
                        I hauled 3 truck and trailer loads the trailer is 16' with 3' side boards

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 8, 2008
                          Sam
                          Thanks for the feedback. I bought the 165 it has 170 gallon water capsity. I will write a report good or bad after I have used it for a while. I am having a little with Shaver right now. They we supposed to deliver the furnace yesterday and it did not show up and they are not answering their phone.

                          Did you go with the 165 or the 140 unit? How does this units output
                          compare with your conventional furnace output(btu). Are you adding
                          in a domestic hot water loop to take up some of the extra heat
                          capacity?

                          Once you have run the unit for the winter please write up an
                          evaluation of the unit. Good evuations(or bad ones) help the next
                          person make an informed choice. It may also take some experimenting
                          to get match the heat output to the wood load. Finding the right
                          mix of fuel load, air, house heat need and exterior temperature will
                          help you use your 6 cords at a more optimum level. Just filling the
                          fire box two times a day may not be the optimum strategy, but you
                          will have to find this out. Also track wood usage to compare with
                          your fuel usage from last winter. This will tell you how you will
                          have to change your spring time cut quantities so that you end up
                          with the right amount of properly seasoned wood for the 2009-2010
                          season.

                          Good luck,

                          Sam

                          --- In woodheat@yahoogroup s.com, Dave wisky <flyer0524@. ..> wrote:

                          > I bought a Shaver unit, main reason I chose this one is it is made
                          with 3/8" steel firebox, and it is a simple system, parts available
                          locally.
                          > I have pored the pad about 80' to the north East of my house. The
                          wind in the winter is usually out of the North or West I have no
                          neighbors to the east of me for a mile or so, and I have neighbors
                          to the West of me about 100 yards. I believe that I will not have an
                          issue with smoke disturbing my neighbors.
                          > Dave

                        • Dave wisky
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 8, 2008
                            Sam
                            Thanks for the feedback. I bought the 165 it has 170 gallon water capsity. I will write a report good or bad after I have used it for a while.

                            Did you go with the 165 or the 140 unit? How does this units output
                            compare with your conventional furnace output(btu). Are you adding
                            in a domestic hot water loop to take up some of the extra heat
                            capacity?

                            Once you have run the unit for the winter please write up an
                            evaluation of the unit. Good evuations(or bad ones) help the next
                            person make an informed choice. It may also take some experimenting
                            to get match the heat output to the wood load. Finding the right
                            mix of fuel load, air, house heat need and exterior temperature will
                            help you use your 6 cords at a more optimum level. Just filling the
                            fire box two times a day may not be the optimum strategy, but you
                            will have to find this out. Also track wood usage to compare with
                            your fuel usage from last winter. This will tell you how you will
                            have to change your spring time cut quantities so that you end up
                            with the right amount of properly seasoned wood for the 2009-2010
                            season.

                            Good luck,

                            Sam

                            --- In woodheat@yahoogroup s.com, Dave wisky <flyer0524@. ..> wrote:

                            > I bought a Shaver unit, main reason I chose this one is it is made
                            with 3/8" steel firebox, and it is a simple system, parts available
                            locally.
                            > I have pored the pad about 80' to the north East of my house. The
                            wind in the winter is usually out of the North or West I have no
                            neighbors to the east of me for a mile or so, and I have neighbors
                            to the West of me about 100 yards. I believe that I will not have an
                            issue with smoke disturbing my neighbors.
                            > Dave

                          • F G
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 8, 2008
                              Oh no, you bought a Shaver? I'd like to have you post a lot of pictures. I hear they have a square water jacket, poor welding. Square jacket means cold spots in the corners. Only thing with shaver is they undercut most other quality products by cutting quality. I'd like to see the welding. Cause people say the welding looks like farmers weld on weekends. I hear shaver is backed up till the spring cause of so many people wanting a cheap product. EPA takes over in 2010 this will have to be replaced.

                              Dave wisky <flyer0524@...> wrote: Sam