owb

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
      well I have bought an outdoor wood boiler, it is supposed to be
      delivered next week. I have been burning wood for about 10 years now
      without much success. I have a masonry fireplace and have a homemade
      hot water system. I could heat about 70% with my homemade system, but
      i burned alot of wood. Last winter I bought $2500 worth of propane and
      burned about 12 truckloads of wood to. I hope to buy no propane this
      winter with the new OWB.
      Dave
    • bart_may telecCASTER
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
        Dave,

        You wont be sorry.
        I LOVE my OWB.

        Bart/ VA

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
          Bart
          Thanks for the words of encouragement, I dont seem to be so popular here with a OWB.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
            If you are going from a fireplace to any OWB, it will seem great, since
            a fireplace is only 10% efficient at best. But I was not happy with
            mine and modified it. For this winter I've added a stack temp sensor
            control to shut off the draft and close the damper when the fire dies
            out and a water temperature temp sensor that will shut off the
            circulator when the water has cooled below 130F. The unit won't freeze,
            because even though the circulator is off, heated water from the oil
            boiler will thermosiphon to the OWB keeping it warm enough to prevent
            freezing.

            bart_may telecCASTER wrote:
            > Dave,
            >
            > You wont be sorry.
            > I LOVE my OWB.
            >
            > Bart/ VA

          • Dave wisky
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
              anyone know about how much wood i could expect to burn over the winter? I live in southern Illinois and have about a 1700 sq ft house about 50 years old so i am sure it is poorley insulated.
              I have a pile of wood about 8' wide 4' high and 24' long right now. i am guessing I need twice that much.
              Dave

            • yahoogroups@bsupply.us
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
                I think you are thinking pretty good! That would be in line with what I
                have read on OWB groups and parallels what my Bro in law reports.

                gggGary

                from Wisconsin

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008

                  bart_may telecCASTER wrote:

                  > Dave,

                  > You wont be sorry.

                  > I LOVE my OWB.

                  > Bart/ VA

                  > --- On Fri, 10/3/08, Dave <flyer0524@yahoo. com> wrote:

                  > From: Dave <flyer0524@yahoo. com>

                  > Subject: [woodheat] owb

                  > To: woodheat@yahoogroup s.com

                  > Date: Friday, October 3, 2008, 8:37 PM

                  > well I have bought an outdoor wood boiler, it is supposed to be

                  > delivered next week. I have been burning wood for about 10 years now

                  > without much success. I have a masonry fireplace and have a homemade

                  > hot water system. I could heat about 70% with my homemade system, but

                  > i burned alot of wood. Last winter I bought $2500 worth of propane and

                  > burned about 12 truckloads of wood to. I hope to buy no propane this

                  > winter with the new OWB.

                  > Dave

                • Dave wisky
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
                    Bob
                    My fireplace may have been a bit more efficient. I have a homemade hot water system, I heat the water in a grate made of 1" black iron pipe,  then went through a raditor / heat exchanger in the plenium.  I also have 2 rooms with hydronic in floor heat and also a couple baseboard heaters. It worked pretty well, I heated about 70% with it but I had to keep the fire blazing hot all the time. I used alot of wood. I hope the new OWB is a great improvement and I can just have a fire in the fireplace when the mood strikes me.
                    Dave

                    bart_may telecCASTER wrote:

                    > Dave,

                    > You wont be sorry.

                    > I LOVE my OWB.

                    > Bart/ VA

                    > --- On Fri, 10/3/08, Dave <flyer0524@yahoo. com> wrote:

                    > From: Dave <flyer0524@yahoo. com>

                    > Subject: [woodheat] owb

                    > To: woodheat@yahoogroup s.com

                    > Date: Friday, October 3, 2008, 8:37 PM

                    > well I have bought an outdoor wood boiler, it is supposed to be

                    > delivered next week. I have been burning wood for about 10 years now

                    > without much success. I have a masonry fireplace and have a homemade

                    > hot water system. I could heat about 70% with my homemade system, but

                    > i burned alot of wood. Last winter I bought $2500 worth of propane and

                    > burned about 12 truckloads of wood to. I hope to buy no propane this

                    > winter with the new OWB.

                    > Dave

                  • Bob Reite
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
                      You have six cords now. I would guess, without knowing the efficiency
                      of your OWB or the actual heat loss of the house that you will need
                      between 8 and 10 cords.

                      Dave wisky wrote:
                      > anyone know about how much wood i could expect to burn over the winter? I live in southern Illinois and have about a 1700 sq ft house about 50 years old so i am sure it is poorley insulated.
                      > I have a pile of wood about 8' wide 4' high and 24' long right now. i am guessing I need twice that much.
                      > Dave

                    • John Gulland
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                        Dave, it is not you that is unpopular, it is that
                        conventional OBs are so backward technically, so inherently
                        wasteful and polluting, that many of us find it hard to
                        share your enthusiasm. I hope you are successful with yours
                        and that you don't piss off your neighbors.
                        John

                        Checked by AVG.
                        Date: 03/10/2008 6:17 PM
                      • samiamrd
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                          If your wood is dry, 6 cords is good start for this winter. I agree
                          that about 10 to 12 cords is a standard consumption for a OWB, and
                          some furnaces, depending on the house, its heat loss, your OWB, and
                          the OWB heat loss. If the heat production matches the heat load
                          (+heat loss) without the start up/shutdown sequences, in combination
                          with dry wood, then you have a chance at not offending your neighbors
                          (depending on their proximity). These are the unit/design issues.

                          Operator issues also create offensive nature of these units as a
                          class. Part 1. Less than "best practices" in combination with a
                          poor combustion system create the offensive nature of the beast.
                          This means that you should not burn: garbage, plastics, trash, green
                          wood(of any type), wet scrap wood type product(treated or not), or
                          any other thing that sounds like "waste" that may/or may not be
                          listed in the manual of the OWB. Only well seasoned cord wood
                          should be burned in the unit. You can not get wood that is too dry
                          for this unit(two season wood(under cover) is probably better).
                          Part 2. Don't expect a 96 hour burn. There is no such thing as a
                          clean, one load, long burn in one of thes units. This is an every
                          day thing. If you match the wood quantity to the heat load and keep
                          a constant fire, then you will have a better burn. Better operator
                          practices can create a less offensive unit. Will this unit smoke,
                          sure, but it does not have to be that blue giant plume of smoke that
                          penetrates everything that is down wind every half hour.

                          Like John said, it is not you. It is the unit, and its combustion
                          system that makes these things offensive. But, you can run it
                          better by using the best practices of having prepared dry wood(cut
                          and split to size) and matching the heat production to the heat
                          load. Avoid the on/off cycling of severly oversized systems, and
                          you will have a better burn in a poor combustion system.

                          By the way, what unit did you purchase? Something to think about.
                          For the future, could heat storage be added? With heat storage, you
                          could fire at the top rate, then capture the heat in your basement
                          for later use. Some of the down draft units suggest a heat storage
                          systems, to reduce firings, but one could work with your unit, if
                          your OWB is oversized.

                          Have a good day,

                          Sam

                          --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Dave wisky <flyer0524@...> wrote:

                          > anyone know about how much wood i could expect to burn over the
                          winter? I live in southern Illinois and have about a 1700 sq ft
                          house about 50 years old so i am sure it is poorley insulated.
                          > I have a pile of wood about 8' wide 4' high and 24' long right
                          now. i am guessing I need twice that much.
                          > Dave

                        • bart_may telecCASTER
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                            Dave,

                            Don�t worry about being popular with this group.
                            The first time I joined talking about OWB some of them slaughtered me.
                            Anyway onto OBW's wood consumption.

                            I�m heating over 3,000 ft of absolutely no insulation. On the inside the plaster was applied right to the outside clay block walls. 55 single pane windows. Could not be anymore of a heating nightmare and I use 8-10 cords. My neighbor has a 2,000 ft house of new construction and say he only uses 3-4 cords per winter.

                            So at 1,700 with poor insulation in Ill, your probably looking at 6-7 cords, depends how warm ya like it in the house. A nice point about OWB is all kinds of trash or limb woods put out allot more heat than just hard woods. If you got property it's great for cleaning up fallen limbs dead trees etc.

                            Also Central Boiler came out last winter�with a downdraft gasification boiler that�s has little to no smoke and suppose to burn much less wood. The wood must be seasoned and it�s a new venture for Central Boiler.
                            Have fun and get to diggin that ditch and pouring that slab, cold weather is comin on!!!!

                            Good Luck,

                            Bart/ VA

                            Dave wisky wrote:
                            > anyone know about how much wood i could expect to burn over the winter? I live in southern Illinois and have about a 1700 sq ft house about 50 years old so i am sure it is poorley insulated.
                            > I have a pile of wood about 8' wide 4' high and 24' long right now. i am guessing I need twice that much.
                            > Dave

                          • trailtreader9
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                              Dave,

                              I live in Southern Indiana. My house is about the same size as yours
                              and is not well insulated. I use about 6 cords in an average winter
                              but I don't have an outside burner. My understanding is that outside
                              burners in general are considerably less efficient than indoor stoves
                              so Bob's estimate of 8 to 10 cords is probably in the ball park.

                            • Dave wisky
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                                I bought a Shaver unit, main reason I chose this one is it is made with 3/8" steel firebox, and it is a simple system, parts available locally.
                                I have pored the pad about 80' to the north East of my house. The wind in the winter is usually out of the North or West I have no neighbors to the east of me for a mile or so, and I have neighbors to the West of me about 100 yards. I believe that I will not have an issue with smoke disturbing my neighbors.
                                Dave

                                e@yahoogroups. com

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • samiamrd
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                  Did you go with the 165 or the 140 unit? How does this units output
                                  compare with your conventional furnace output(btu). Are you adding
                                  in a domestic hot water loop to take up some of the extra heat
                                  capacity?

                                  Once you have run the unit for the winter please write up an
                                  evaluation of the unit. Good evuations(or bad ones) help the next
                                  person make an informed choice. It may also take some experimenting
                                  to get match the heat output to the wood load. Finding the right
                                  mix of fuel load, air, house heat need and exterior temperature will
                                  help you use your 6 cords at a more optimum level. Just filling the
                                  fire box two times a day may not be the optimum strategy, but you
                                  will have to find this out. Also track wood usage to compare with
                                  your fuel usage from last winter. This will tell you how you will
                                  have to change your spring time cut quantities so that you end up
                                  with the right amount of properly seasoned wood for the 2009-2010
                                  season.

                                  Good luck,

                                  Sam

                                  --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Dave wisky <flyer0524@...> wrote:

                                  > I bought a Shaver unit, main reason I chose this one is it is made
                                  with 3/8" steel firebox, and it is a simple system, parts available
                                  locally.
                                  > I have pored the pad about 80' to the north East of my house. The
                                  wind in the winter is usually out of the North or West I have no
                                  neighbors to the east of me for a mile or so, and I have neighbors
                                  to the West of me about 100 yards. I believe that I will not have an
                                  issue with smoke disturbing my neighbors.
                                  > Dave

                                • thumphrey
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                    12 pick-up truck loads, or larger?

                                    --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, bart_may telecCASTER <bart_may@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Dave,
                                    >
                                    > You wont be sorry.
                                    > I LOVE my OWB.
                                    >
                                    > Bart/ VA

                                  • Dave wisky
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 8, 2008
                                      I hauled 3 truck and trailer loads the trailer is 16' with 3' side boards

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 8, 2008
                                        Sam
                                        Thanks for the feedback. I bought the 165 it has 170 gallon water capsity. I will write a report good or bad after I have used it for a while. I am having a little with Shaver right now. They we supposed to deliver the furnace yesterday and it did not show up and they are not answering their phone.

                                        Did you go with the 165 or the 140 unit? How does this units output
                                        compare with your conventional furnace output(btu). Are you adding
                                        in a domestic hot water loop to take up some of the extra heat
                                        capacity?

                                        Once you have run the unit for the winter please write up an
                                        evaluation of the unit. Good evuations(or bad ones) help the next
                                        person make an informed choice. It may also take some experimenting
                                        to get match the heat output to the wood load. Finding the right
                                        mix of fuel load, air, house heat need and exterior temperature will
                                        help you use your 6 cords at a more optimum level. Just filling the
                                        fire box two times a day may not be the optimum strategy, but you
                                        will have to find this out. Also track wood usage to compare with
                                        your fuel usage from last winter. This will tell you how you will
                                        have to change your spring time cut quantities so that you end up
                                        with the right amount of properly seasoned wood for the 2009-2010
                                        season.

                                        Good luck,

                                        Sam

                                        --- In woodheat@yahoogroup s.com, Dave wisky <flyer0524@. ..> wrote:

                                        > I bought a Shaver unit, main reason I chose this one is it is made
                                        with 3/8" steel firebox, and it is a simple system, parts available
                                        locally.
                                        > I have pored the pad about 80' to the north East of my house. The
                                        wind in the winter is usually out of the North or West I have no
                                        neighbors to the east of me for a mile or so, and I have neighbors
                                        to the West of me about 100 yards. I believe that I will not have an
                                        issue with smoke disturbing my neighbors.
                                        > Dave

                                      • Dave wisky
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 8, 2008
                                          Sam
                                          Thanks for the feedback. I bought the 165 it has 170 gallon water capsity. I will write a report good or bad after I have used it for a while.

                                          Did you go with the 165 or the 140 unit? How does this units output
                                          compare with your conventional furnace output(btu). Are you adding
                                          in a domestic hot water loop to take up some of the extra heat
                                          capacity?

                                          Once you have run the unit for the winter please write up an
                                          evaluation of the unit. Good evuations(or bad ones) help the next
                                          person make an informed choice. It may also take some experimenting
                                          to get match the heat output to the wood load. Finding the right
                                          mix of fuel load, air, house heat need and exterior temperature will
                                          help you use your 6 cords at a more optimum level. Just filling the
                                          fire box two times a day may not be the optimum strategy, but you
                                          will have to find this out. Also track wood usage to compare with
                                          your fuel usage from last winter. This will tell you how you will
                                          have to change your spring time cut quantities so that you end up
                                          with the right amount of properly seasoned wood for the 2009-2010
                                          season.

                                          Good luck,

                                          Sam

                                          --- In woodheat@yahoogroup s.com, Dave wisky <flyer0524@. ..> wrote:

                                          > I bought a Shaver unit, main reason I chose this one is it is made
                                          with 3/8" steel firebox, and it is a simple system, parts available
                                          locally.
                                          > I have pored the pad about 80' to the north East of my house. The
                                          wind in the winter is usually out of the North or West I have no
                                          neighbors to the east of me for a mile or so, and I have neighbors
                                          to the West of me about 100 yards. I believe that I will not have an
                                          issue with smoke disturbing my neighbors.
                                          > Dave

                                        • F G
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 8, 2008
                                            Oh no, you bought a Shaver? I'd like to have you post a lot of pictures. I hear they have a square water jacket, poor welding. Square jacket means cold spots in the corners. Only thing with shaver is they undercut most other quality products by cutting quality. I'd like to see the welding. Cause people say the welding looks like farmers weld on weekends. I hear shaver is backed up till the spring cause of so many people wanting a cheap product. EPA takes over in 2010 this will have to be replaced.

                                            Dave wisky <flyer0524@...> wrote: Sam