Re: German tile stoves, looks like its a problem...

  • samiamrd
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2008
      I think that you have the answer about the units operation from the
      web site. It does not say that there is a glass air wash system.
      Since you can customize it, the hand built units can have the glass
      anywhere(left, right, or center), it probably does not have a chance
      of having clean glass, unless if they change the internal working of
      the stove for each configuration. Other companies that produce "on
      order" like Woodstock soapstone do not change the design of the unit
      for the customers, that way they can maintain their efficiency
      because other than changing the soapstone, the unit maintains the
      proper combustion systems as originally designed and tested.

      The web site is very basic, and possible made by someone just
      scanning documents and slapping them up. I liked the photocopies of
      the installation, "pictures only" is always a plus... Also, this
      unit is not listed under Faber king, KACHELOFEN, or KA Heat, on the
      June 2008 EPA certified wood stove list which makes its claim of
      both high efficiency and "NO AIR POLUTION" almost impossible. If it
      is listed under someother name, they should put it in their
      advertisement.

      Unfortunately, the amount of wood that you used is probably an
      indication that it is a questionable unit. And that they don't
      answer your phone calls, would make you question the company behind
      the stove. This company is not listed or rated hearthnet, either.
      You may not have got what you though you were buying.

      This is just an opinion, I could be wrong,

      Sam

      http://www.kaheat.com/woodheater.html#Models

      > What model do you have?
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > kachelofen46 <kachelofen46@...> wrote:
      Has anyone had any experience with the German tile stoves called
      > Kachelofen? I purchased one from a company in Roseneath Ontario in
      > March. tried it out in March and part of April. It is a
      freestanding
      > woodstove with ceramic tile all around it. While it definitely
      cranks
      > out the heat and has a large firebox, I also used quite a bit of
      wood.
      > The window gets black almost immediately. I have tried to contact
      the
      > company about the hinge pins on the firebox door because they keep
      > falling out, but they do not reply. I can replace the hinge pins
      > myself,but I am beginning to feel some buyer's remorse here, and
      so I
      > am hoping that I am just using it wrong.I have tried burning the
      wood
      > hot and fast, and have tried burning it slowly, but the window
      still
      > gets black within 30 minutes. And it still goes through a lot of
      wood.
      > Any advice?

    • kachelofen46
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
        Yes I sent them an email, and then sent a letter by registered mail.
        No reply from either. I have the FK09 model. When he delivered the
        stove he told me he was trying to sell his company. I suppose this is
        an inconvenient time for him.

        --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Chris Gervais <c.gervais@...> wrote:

        > Have you tried thru their web site?
        http://www.kaheat.com/woodheater.html#Models

        > What model do you have?
        >
        > Chris
        >
        > kachelofen46 <kachelofen46@...> wrote:
        Has anyone had any experience with the German tile stoves called
        > Kachelofen? I purchased one from a company in Roseneath Ontario in
        > March. tried it out in March and part of April. It is a freestanding
        > woodstove with ceramic tile all around it. While it definitely cranks
        > out the heat and has a large firebox, I also used quite a bit of wood.
        > The window gets black almost immediately. I have tried to contact the
        > company about the hinge pins on the firebox door because they keep
        > falling out, but they do not reply. I can replace the hinge pins
        > myself,but I am beginning to feel some buyer's remorse here, and so I
        > am hoping that I am just using it wrong.I have tried burning the wood
        > hot and fast, and have tried burning it slowly, but the window still
        > gets black within 30 minutes. And it still goes through a lot of wood.
        > Any advice?

      • kachelofen46
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
          The stove is certified by Warnock Hersey. When I spoke to my insurance
          company about having this installed in the house, they were very happy
          to hear that. And that put my mind at ease as well. Then when I could
          not get a reply from the company, I emailed Warnock Hersey asking them
          exactly what they certified on this stove. I did not receive a reply
          from them either.

          --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "samiamrd" <taborl@...> wrote:

          > I think that you have the answer about the units operation from the
          > web site. It does not say that there is a glass air wash system.
          > Since you can customize it, the hand built units can have the glass
          > anywhere(left, right, or center), it probably does not have a chance
          > of having clean glass, unless if they change the internal working of
          > the stove for each configuration. Other companies that produce "on
          > order" like Woodstock soapstone do not change the design of the unit
          > for the customers, that way they can maintain their efficiency
          > because other than changing the soapstone, the unit maintains the
          > proper combustion systems as originally designed and tested.
          >
          > The web site is very basic, and possible made by someone just
          > scanning documents and slapping them up. I liked the photocopies of
          > the installation, "pictures only" is always a plus... Also, this
          > unit is not listed under Faber king, KACHELOFEN, or KA Heat, on the
          > June 2008 EPA certified wood stove list which makes its claim of
          > both high efficiency and "NO AIR POLUTION" almost impossible. If it
          > is listed under someother name, they should put it in their
          > advertisement.
          >
          > Unfortunately, the amount of wood that you used is probably an
          > indication that it is a questionable unit. And that they don't
          > answer your phone calls, would make you question the company behind
          > the stove. This company is not listed or rated hearthnet, either.
          > You may not have got what you though you were buying.
          >
          > This is just an opinion, I could be wrong,
          >
          > Sam
          >

          > --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Chris Gervais <c.gervais@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Have you tried thru their web site?
          > http://www.kaheat.com/woodheater.html#Models
          > >
          > > What model do you have?
          > >
          > > Chris
          > >
          > > kachelofen46 <kachelofen46@> wrote:
          > Has anyone had any experience with the German tile stoves called
          > > Kachelofen? I purchased one from a company in Roseneath Ontario in
          > > March. tried it out in March and part of April. It is a
          > freestanding
          > > woodstove with ceramic tile all around it. While it definitely
          > cranks
          > > out the heat and has a large firebox, I also used quite a bit of
          > wood.
          > > The window gets black almost immediately. I have tried to contact
          > the
          > > company about the hinge pins on the firebox door because they keep
          > > falling out, but they do not reply. I can replace the hinge pins
          > > myself,but I am beginning to feel some buyer's remorse here, and
          > so I
          > > am hoping that I am just using it wrong.I have tried burning the
          > wood
          > > hot and fast, and have tried burning it slowly, but the window
          > still
          > > gets black within 30 minutes. And it still goes through a lot of
          > wood.
          > > Any advice?

        • samiamrd
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2008
            Yes, you may have been on the right track when asking certification
            for what. Since they have a cook surface it may be EPA exempt as a
            cook stove, or it could have the ability to burn more than 11 lbs
            per hour making it exempt like a fireplace. IN Canada, like the US,
            I think(I am not sure) that things have to have a testing performed
            like UL testing(underwriters laboratory) for safety. When I looked
            up Warnock Hersey, it seems that they do safety testing as well. So
            testing of what is a good question, if it was EPA certified, it
            shoud be on the EPA website as certified.

            The other bad sign is the owner trying to get out of the business.
            Why would he want to support the stove if he was trying to get out
            of the business. They may have just folded.

            What can you do? Even if it is not EPA certified, you may be able
            to make it work better by using well seasoned wood. You may also
            want to check the chimney and clean it atleast once a month until
            you get to the point where you can track the creasote buildup.
            Having dryer wood will help the burn process and produce less
            creasote than normal 1 season wood which you would use in a standard
            EPA certified wood stove. Once you have dry wood, you can modulate
            the heat output by changing the wood load instead of control by air
            supply which you have on a regular EPA certified wood stove. Since
            it really cranks the heat, it may not have really good air supply
            control, thus changing to wood load based heat control, may be the
            best option. In any event take this year to learn about what works
            best with this unit. While you learn about the stove, start a bank
            account, and slowly build up a cash fund to replace this unit in a
            few years. Things built by companies or owners that don't care
            about the future, tend to use less than optimum materials and this
            may make the unit less reliable. Over firing may also weaken the
            internal metal components of the stove, and if it cranks the heat,
            it could also be over firing once in a while.

            Good luck with your unit, and next time, when you prepare to put
            your hard earned money down for a stove, check out Hearthnet stove
            ratings. That will give you a good idea of how a new stove performs
            prior to purchase, and how it was supported by the company after
            purchase. You may also want to go to the Hearthnet.com site and
            rate your stove. It may prevent someone from getting the same level
            of care that you are getting right now.

            Sam

            --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "kachelofen46" <kachelofen46@...>

            wrote:
            > > Has anyone had any experience with the German tile stoves called
            > > > Kachelofen? I purchased one from a company in Roseneath
            Ontario in
            > > > March. tried it out in March and part of April. It is a
            > > freestanding
            > > > woodstove with ceramic tile all around it. While it
            definitely
            > > cranks
            > > > out the heat and has a large firebox, I also used quite a bit
            of
            > > wood.
            > > > The window gets black almost immediately. I have tried to
            contact
            > > the
            > > > company about the hinge pins on the firebox door because they
            keep
            > > > falling out, but they do not reply. I can replace the hinge
            pins
            > > > myself,but I am beginning to feel some buyer's remorse here,
            and
            > > so I
            > > > am hoping that I am just using it wrong.I have tried burning
            the
            > > wood
            > > > hot and fast, and have tried burning it slowly, but the
            window
            > > still
            > > > gets black within 30 minutes. And it still goes through a lot
            of
            > > wood.
            > > > Any advice?

          • kachelofen46
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2008
              We have a fireplace insert we were using, so we know about dry wood,
              and seasoned hard wood vs softwood etc. When we had this installed, we
              also had a new chimney installed, so creosote is not a problem.I think
              he wants to retire. He is an elderly gentleman. He said he had been
              selling these stoves for 30 years. But yes I will definitely go to
              that Hearthnet site. Thank you for all your help.