Re: [woodheat] Hardwood Chips

  • John O'Connell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2003
      >. The chips are from one inch square to two inch square by about quarter
      inch thick. They are not dry except for the logs being some what dried.

      Hi Larry

      I have not used chips but have used sawdust which need special burners

      The chips sound ideal I would think they should burn in a normal stove, give
      it a go.

      The fact they are not dry should not be too much of a problem they have a
      very high surface area to weight so would air dry quickly

      Best of luck with them
      Let me know how it goes

      John O'Connell
      Wood burning Stoves
      www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor
    • Miro
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2003
        Almost the size of coal.
        ?!?!?!?
        Miro

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2003
          Lary,
          see my message #1732 on the same topic. I'm thinking about building
          my own system. I think the main complications arise in the system to
          automatically and reliably tranfer large volumes of chips from a
          storage hopper to a burner. Another option is to compress the chips
          back to log form for use in a conventional woodstove.
          Tony Nekut

          --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, Larry Ruebush <lrt@w...> wrote:
          > I am in the trucking business and sometimes haul semi loads of wood
          chips from a sawmill. They are used for mulch around lawns. I just
          found out that the sawmill uses them to fuel their kilns with to dry
          wood also. The chips are from one inch square to two inch square by