stove advice & house planning

  • John Gulland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2000
      Josée wrote:

      > Hi, John! This is the information I got from John Wood at Jade Mountain:

      Boy, you really got the hard sell from Jade. I infer from what he says that
      the Thermo-Control is 25 year old technology. Considering the incredible
      evolution of wood burning in the 25 years I have been involved, that is not
      something I would invest in. I remain skeptical about all the claims. My
      attitude remains: if it is not EPA certified, it will not have a competent
      combustion system, no matter how much hype is provided. My advice, for what
      it is worth, is to select a product that is EPA certified, buy it from a
      mainstream manufacturer and a dealer who can support the product.

      > What's it like living in a 24' X 24' house? WHERE DID YOU PUT YOUR
      > STAIRS???? DO YOU HAVE A POST/COLUMN SOMEWHERE OR IS IT ALL OPEN?

      We love our little house and have been living in it for 11 years. The
      stairwell goes up the centre and provides structural support for ceilings.
      There was, however, some tricky framing to support the
      livingroom/kitchen/dining room ceiling without needing a dropped beam. I
      didn't do it, my clever builder did. The house has a full basement plus 2
      1/2 stories. The foot of all the staircases (3) in the house are butted up
      against an outside wall and have either a small landing or sweep at the
      bottom to reduce their length. Plus the stairs are steeper than stairs in
      houses with bigger floor plans. It is a delicate balance, but it seems
      fine. I go up and down these stairs many times a day since I work on the
      third floor, and I never find them too steep. Maybe I will when I'm
      seventy.

      Our medium-sized EPA certified non-catalytic stove does a good job of
      heating the house. We heat in the coldest weather with hardwood, but I'm
      sure I could heat the place with Poplar, but it might mean loading it more
      often in very cold weather.

      > You should hold off disconnecting yourself from the grid as they
      > will likely
      > be forced to allow net metering and you could sell your excess
      > power back to
      > them and recover some of that capital investment. Power companies
      > will have
      > to do this soon with the lobby forces in place and they will realize it's
      > just good P.R. once everybody starts allowing it. If you get a Trace SW
      > series inverter, you will be all ready to go. They also make the little
      > microsine inverters that mount directly onto the modules and
      > voila, you are
      > generating AC - you can put two 50W modules on one Microsine.

      Yes, I'm aware of that, thanks. My plan to go off grid is partly
      metaphorical and partly political. Mainly, I want to disentangle myself, to
      the extent possible, from the corruption of centralized corporate energy
      suppliers.

      Regards,
      John Gulland
      The Wood Heat Organization Inc.
      www.woodheat.org
      A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood