RE: [woodheat] brick/block chimney

  • John Gulland
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2003
      Eric,
      You can't run flue gases straight up into a masonry chimney
      because you can't support that kind of chimney in a ceiling.
      And surrounding a metal chimney with brick is a really bad
      idea, again because you can't support the masonry, nor would
      you be able to properly inspect and maintain the chimney --
      a brick surround is unworkable, impractical, and most
      important, unnecessary.

      A chimney fire is not a mysterious, hidden danger that
      arises spontaneously. It is the direct and predictable
      result of poor burning practices and a lack of maintenance.
      Responsible wood burners never have chimney fires.

      And even if you were negligent enough to have a chimney
      fire, a properly selected and installed factory-built metal
      chimney can easily contain the heat from one. They are
      designed and tested to withstand a chimney fire -- but not
      repeated, severe chimney fires.

      If metal chimneys were as dangerous as is implied by your
      wife's fears, they would be hauled off the market pretty
      fast.

      John