RE: [woodheat] More Durock questions

  • Rich Garcia
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
      OK here is another one. I did some shopping today at both Lowes and Home
      Depot. HD was horrible, all I found was HardiBoard burried in a corner under
      inventory they did not know what to do with.

      Lowes has both HardiBoard, Perma Base, and Durock. I was searching for the
      11% Latex Mortar that USG asks to be used and no one knew of it,all they had
      was acrylic. Got to talking with them and they recomended HardiBoard because
      it's easyer to cut and much cleaner to work with. Still no idea where I'll
      be able to find the proper mortar but that can wait till we move in.

      Is there any reason that HardiBoard can not be used in place of Durock? It's
      a bit lighter to work with also and I have a large crescent cut to do on the
      Constitution. I think it would be much neater on the edge than the rough
      rock structure that durock seems to have.

      The other thing is the screws, no screws longer than 1 5/8. USG states 2 1/4
      for use on the wall. I want to follow the directions but without the right
      supplies...the 1/2 board plus the other 1/2 furring strip that would give me
      5/8 penetration into the stud I hope that is enough!

      Since this is not actually a wall shield but just a backer for the stone
      could it not be just attached directly to the stud without the additional
      1/2 furring strip?

      Rich
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
        If you do not have to have a heat shield to meet clearances than install as
        you see fit. I used Laticrete thinset mortar (253) recommended by my local
        Lowes for my hearth

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
          I looked for 253 and could not find it at one Lowes or Home Depot, I am
          going to try another local Lowes in the morning. I called Laticrete this
          afternoon as a matter of fact and they suggested 255 first or 253 if I could
          not find 255. 255 they stated was a commercial product which was much
          thicker and would work better for stone if some of them were heavy but 253
          should do well also with some care. Laticrete suggested I try to find a
          commercial supplier that has the 255 and see if they will sell to a
          consumer, I'll try next week.

          I got a small bag of Laticrete thinset for the fiber tape tonight, that
          should do just fine for the tape. I do not plan on setting the stone till'
          we move in, it's just a matter of hanging the board to make the county
          inspector happy so we can move in ASAP.

          The Lowes I was just at had someone that actually has "stoned" a fireplace.
          He stated he used Hardiboard several years ago and it worked fine. It was a
          bit more expensive than Durock but I went ahead and bought 9 sheets. It
          seems like it will be much easier to cut and keep the area clean,
          considering they went ahead and installed the carpet before I was ready less
          of a mess sounds good to me!