Re: Wood Wasps

  • jim_koontz
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
      Holy Drill Bits, Batman! Those are the beetle beasts I've seen!
      Thanks, Ken! OK, redheaded ash borer...shouldn't bother the house, so
      I'm in the clear there. Only six weeks or so until hard frosts so I
      should be OK there. I'll just have to bring in wood as I need it and
      not let it sit inside long. Good practice anyway. More research...

      Thanks again, Ken!

      Jim K.

      --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <comler@...> wrote:

      > Jim,
      >
      > I checked out your link, and it says those wood wasps only are found
      > in pine species, and not in the U.S. (however, I'm not sure where you
      > are located and species hitch rides all the time). You said you
      > weren't sure of the wood you were splitting, but thought it might be
      > red oak. Red oak is a hardwood, and much different from pine -
      > especially to an insect (and people splitting with a maul ;) ).
      >
      > My point is you may not be dealing with wood wasps after all.
      >
      > I also noticed that the larvae looks very similar to something I have
      > found in some of the red oak I have split: Redheaded ash borer
      > larvae. Here is a link to some pics on Google:
      > http://images.google.com/images?q=Redheaded+ash+borer
      >
      > Redheaded ash borers, unlike the emerald ash borer, use many hardwoods
      > - red oak included - as a host.
      >
      > I guess that none of that helps with your original question about what
      > to spray (or whether to spray). Having read some of the other
      > you have to do.
      >
      > Ken
      > Coolville, OH

    • jim_koontz
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
        Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions and advice everyone. Ken
        seems to have found the exact bug I have (redheaded ash borer), so I'm
        going to contact The U of Illinois Extension and get some
        entomological advice from there.

        Thanks again everyone and happy heating this season!

        Jim K.