Re: rule of thumb for stove pipe/flue cleaning

  • ozarknjrat
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2006
      chad and gary - thanks for the advice!

      i have had about twenty 4-5hr evening burns so far this season. i
      relocated my thermometer to the stove top and have worked hard to keep
      the temp up to between 400-450 degrees. today i disassembled the
      stove pipe for an inspection and cleaning. there was zero buildup on
      the 5ft vertical pipe from the stove to the 90 degree elbow. i
      removed about 1.5 cups of ash/creosote buildup from the elbow and the
      3ft horizontal pipe; the heaviest buildup was at the end of the pipe
      where it exits into the clay chimney flue. a mirror-on-a-stick
      inspection of the chimney flue showed very little buildup.

      would 1.5 cups of buildup from a 3ft horizontal stove pipe be
      considered minimal, reasonable or excessive (eg. dangerous)? now that
      i have a baseline, i would like to establish a regular stove pipe
      cleaning schedule, so any advice would be appreciated.

      thanks.

      rat

      --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "ozarknjrat" <oetting@...> wrote:

      > looking for some seasoned advice on how often to check and clean my
      > flue.
      >
      > i'm starting my first full heating season with a small joutl 3f. the
      > stove pipe exit is at the top of the stove and runs vertical about 5ft
      > before a 90degree turn, then another 3 feet horizontally where it then
      > exits into a standard 1970s style flue-tile lined brick faced chimney.
      >
      > i have good draft and typically run a single 4-5 hour seasoned
      > hardwood burn in the evenings. i have a correctly mounted woodsaver
      > stove pipe thermometer and am very carefull to keep my bruns between
      > 250-350degrees.
      >
      > my chimney access requires a lot of stagging and is very difficult, as
      > is removeall of the stove pipe, so i'd only want to do it when its
      > warranted.
      >
      > my gut tells me to tear the stove pipe apart and clean it all twice a
      > season, and the chimney once a year in the summer. does this make
      > sense?

    • gary
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        Well I'm not a chimney cleaner but that sounds pretty normal to me. Your
        build up pattern is consistant with the way my Resolute works in a simular
        set up. I will be changing it to a shorter horizontal run this year (about 1
        foot total) because I can. It is now my back up (basement) stove so I
        haven't hooked it up yet but the time is drawing near. As often happens I
        am working on space available to install the stove where I want it and code
        clearances.

        gggGary
        Subject: [woodheat] Re: rule of thumb for stove pipe/flue cleaning

        --- In woodheat@yahoogroup <mailto:woodheat%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,