slabs

  • john killen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006
      Does anyone on the group burn slabs from the sawmill? And if not y not?
      John edward

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006
        I have in the past and was pretty happy with them.
        Are they dry?
        Are they a decent species?
        Will your draft control allow a slow enough burn rate with thinner pieces of
        wood?

        gggGary

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006
          All the information I can find on them says "conventional wisdom says it
          cant be done because they wont burn long enough

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006
            I burned them in a cozy heat, stacked them tight on the floor of the box
            and could get about 6 or 7 hours of burn. The ones I got were all oak and
            had about a year of drying on them. Price was quite reasonable and they are
            easy to handle. No saw or splitter needed.

            gggGary

            All the information I can find on them says "conventional wisdom says it
            cant be done because they wont burn long enough

            Anybody near Fairfax interested in picking up some bucked Maple?

          • mlt8
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 15, 2006
              --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "john killen" <akillen@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone on the group burn slabs from the sawmill? And if not y
              not?
              > John edward

              john,
              because there are dead standing trees within 40 yards of my woodstove,
              i don't burn alot of slabs. when i do tho, i actually prefer them to
              regular firewood. my gripe with my non-cat stove is that it coals well
              but needs flame to throw enough heat on really cold days. slabs give
              lots of flame and if i burn popple slabs there are very few coals to
              fill up the firebox. the fire requires more frequent additions but i
              don't mind & i have ironwood for overnight burns.
              mark
            • samiamrd
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 15, 2006
                I would use slabs if I had access to them and if they were almost
                free. Since I cart green waste back to the house, it would be just
                as easy to bring back slabs. Most of the stuff that I pick up is 4
                to 6 feet in length which is the required size for the town to pick
                up on "green waste pick up" days. I take whatever is available that
                is 2 inches and up with the exception pine or sappy trees.

                Cutting is where the advantages of poles or slabs would work for me.
                On the smaller stuff(4 inches or less), I cut using a standard chop
                saw(compound miter chop saw at 90 degrees). Since I have
                electricity, it is much faster and safer than using the chain saw.
                For pieces of 5 inches and up(that must be split), I use either the
                electric or gas chainsaw depending on size.

                The advantages of slabs, they rarely need splitting and if they are
                to wide, they can be split the easy way.

                Have a good day,

                Sam

                --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "mlt8" <5t8s@...> wrote:

                > --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "john killen" <akillen@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Does anyone on the group burn slabs from the sawmill? And if
                not y
                > not?
                > > John edward
                > >

                > john,
                > because there are dead standing trees within 40 yards of my
                woodstove,
                > i don't burn alot of slabs. when i do tho, i actually prefer them
                > regular firewood. my gripe with my non-cat stove is that it coals
                well
                > but needs flame to throw enough heat on really cold days. slabs
                give
                > lots of flame and if i burn popple slabs there are very few coals
                > fill up the firebox. the fire requires more frequent additions but
                > don't mind & i have ironwood for overnight burns.
                > mark

              • The Tates
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 15, 2006
                  >I cut using a standard chop
                  >saw(compound miter chop saw at 90 degrees). Since I have
                  >electricity, it is much faster and safer than using the chain saw.

                  samur,
                  i get a trailer load (1 cord) of mixed hardwoods (mostly oak with a little birch & maple mixed in) for $10. it's banded & i cut it right off the trailer in the bands... couldn't be easier. with help from my son it takes just over an hour. alone, i spread it out over 2 days so i can walk and not be made fun of by neighborhood children! i use them as a supplement for my wood furnace if i'm running low & in my maple syrup evaporator (lots of edges for flame and a hard boil). they're not real thick but there's always a few large ends; plus they dry in no time. my first year with the woodstove, i didn't have much wood prepared & used some popple slabs... they worked great and we had some -25F weather.
                  markim