Husqvarna Forestry Safety Pants?

  • erossphelps
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
      I nicked my pants the other day, although thankfully not my leg while
      sawing some smaller diameter trees I was cutting up for kindling. Close
      enough for me to figure it's time to get some safety clothing.

      I live in NH and Labonville is well noted for its chaps but while
      getting a saw file the other day I noticed that Husqvarna makes a set
      of safety pants.

      Does anyone on the group have experience with these? They seem like
      they might afford a bit more protection than where the chaps are
      exposed, and perhaps be easier to move in. I see they also make a
      chainsaw resistant shirt.

      Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

      Ross
    • lyle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
        I have a pair of these and they work great. I have some ear muffs a hat
        and a face shield as well.

        Just wish I knew how to use a chainsaw!

        Lyle

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
          I have the Husq pants as well. Fortunately I havent needed them ;)
          Luke
          erossphelps wrote:

          > I nicked my pants the other day, although thankfully not my leg while
          > sawing some smaller diameter trees I was cutting up for kindling. Close
          > enough for me to figure it's time to get some safety clothing.
          >
          > I live in NH and Labonville is well noted for its chaps but while
          > getting a saw file the other day I noticed that Husqvarna makes a set
          > of safety pants.
          >
          > Does anyone on the group have experience with these? They seem like
          > they might afford a bit more protection than where the chaps are
          > exposed, and perhaps be easier to move in. I see they also make a
          > chainsaw resistant shirt.
          >
          > Any ideas or comments are appreciated.
          >
          > Ross

        • John Locke
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
            Dear Ross,

            Have you ever heard of Kevlar, well this is another life & limb saving application of that material from Husqvarna. The saw chain will stop turning & arrest penetration thru the pants & shirt using the Kevlar fibres.You could experience some minor contusions (cuts) & extensive bruising, but you will survive from the misfortune.

            John Locke

          • Mark Magennis
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
              Good to see you're being sensible Ross. Safety gear is a must. Eye
              and ear protection are essential of course, but hand, leg and foot
              protection is pretty handy if you value your limbs and realise that
              anyone can make a mistake. The shirts seem less useful though, since
              it is generally quite difficult to hit your upper body with the saw.
              An exception is if you do a lot of work that involves sawing at a
              height above your shoulder. In that case, kickback can bring the saw
              down in an arc to hit your shoulder. I've seen shirts with just
              shoulder protection for that reason.

              A word of warning from experience though. Be very careful about
              becoming complacent when wearing the gear. I was cutting up a fallen
              tree on the ground last year and I started sawing very close to my
              feet, thinking I was safe because I was wearing my Husqvarna boots.
              Stupid I know. Then there was a small kickback and the pint of the
              saw bounced off my foot. Within a fraction of a second, it had gone
              right through the kevlar, down to the cotton boot lining. A fraction
              of a millimetre away from my foot! So although if I had not been
              wearing the boots, I would probably have only one and a half feet
              left now, I also believe that if I had not been wearing the boots, I
              would have been more careful. As it is I was lucky.

              Protective gear should not be used a substitute for being sensible
              and careful, but as an addition.

              Mark

              is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended

              by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However,
              transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

              represent the views of NCBI

            • agoldink
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
                I wear the chaps myself, but as someone else said they are no
                replacement for common sence.
                Found myself cutting, everything was down on the ground in piles,
                just cutting to stove length. I had a large pile and was doing
                gymnastics getting the best angle for some cuts. Well I looked and
                the saw would have been going down very close to my foot, dropped the
                saw and rode to the nearest Redwing dealer. Now I wont start the saw
                without steel toe boots on
                Rock
                PS My wood pile is slowly growing, hopefully to that 2 year supply
                (Is that the wood cutters Nirvana?)
                --- In woodheat@yahoogroups.com, "erossphelps" <erossphelps@...>
                wrote:

                > I nicked my pants the other day, although thankfully not my leg
                while
                > sawing some smaller diameter trees I was cutting up for kindling.
                Close
                > enough for me to figure it's time to get some safety clothing.
                >
                > I live in NH and Labonville is well noted for its chaps but while
                > getting a saw file the other day I noticed that Husqvarna makes a
                set
                > of safety pants.
                >
                > Does anyone on the group have experience with these? They seem like
                > they might afford a bit more protection than where the chaps are
                > exposed, and perhaps be easier to move in. I see they also make a
                > chainsaw resistant shirt.
                >
                > Any ideas or comments are appreciated.
                >
                > Ross

              • E. Ross Phelps
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
                  Thanks to all for the input.

                  I ended up going with a set of Kevlar chaps. I tried
                  on the Husqvarna pants and some other pants and they
                  were heavy, hot and didn't have quite as much
                  protected area as the chaps have. I already had
                  steel-toed boots but since I got a good deal I also
                  bought a helmet with ear protectors and face mask and
                  saw resistant gloves.

                  Certainly common sense and knowing what you are doing
                  are the best safety gear. The best advice I got from
                  my grandfather is that when you're holding a chain saw
                  imagine that it's a rattlesnake that will bite you if
                  you're not careful.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com