Color of wood?

  • c j
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      Hello. I have been cleaning up my yard and trying to
      gather the "good" wood for burning next year. There
      is a particular downed dead tree that appears to have
      been on the ground for a few years. Most of the bark
      is gone. Where the bark is gone, the tree is mostly
      green like the color of algae. The tree is not moldy,
      spongy, or fuzzy, and feels very solid. I believe it
      is an elm tree. Is this wood ok to burn?

      Thanks!
      Chris
    • monte bloyd
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        I've seen some Catalpa that had a greenish cast to it. If the color
        isn't a fungus or something of that color then perhaps Catalpa. Elm
        weathers out a silver grey color.

        Monte
        On Mar 2, 2006, at 7:59 AM, c j wrote:

        > Hello.  I have been cleaning up my yard and trying to
        > gather the "good" wood for burning next year.  There
        > is a particular downed dead tree that appears to have
        > been on the ground for a few years.  Most of the bark
        > is gone.  Where the bark is gone, the tree is mostly
        > green like the color of algae.  The tree is not moldy,
        > spongy, or fuzzy, and feels very solid.  I believe it
        > is an elm tree.  Is this wood ok to burn?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Chris
        >

        > Check THE woodheat web site at  http://www.woodheat.org
        > To receive no more messages email:

        > Wood heat
        > Conservation
        > Woodheat
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "woodheat" on the web.

        > Service.

      • Dan & Lu
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
          Cut a piece and try to spit it. If it's down in your yard and it can be split it is good wood.

          Elm is hard to split.

          Dan