STEREO BOX WOOD 5x7 CAMERA w/ D. GRAY BRASS LENSES

  • F West
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2011
      Hello,

      This completely baffles me.  A stripped production camera of some sort, or a "Frankenstein's monster"?  I don't know.  What is it?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/290589545997

      Comments anybody?

      Good day, Frank West

    • Maren /Fred Friedman

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 20, 2011
          Hello Fred, it has many beguiling features that suggest not.  It appears that the body was leather covered at some point, and the dried remains were scraped off.  The shutter looks like something more manufactured than cobbled together.  The overall construction suggests accurate hand assembly line work, not piece meal part matching.  It even has a tripod screw port underneath.  The primary complaint, I'm wondering if the front panel was heavily repaired and no longer original.  These are simple "thinking out loud" observations, nothing more.  I just believe there is more to this camera than meets the eye.  Good day, Frank West

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 20, 2011
            Hi,

            my 2cents worth.

            the "rough saw" wood side of the camera and 'crate nailed' box does not match the focusing screens accurate "spline splice" construction. and the inside of the camera to me looks like a mass produced camera.

            my opinion, home made body using other mass produced part, made by someone a bit above the average photographer, but definatly not a quality home machinist...

            regards, Sandy

            Sandy

[...]

            Vintage Graphics.
            ABN  15 182 803 759
            Po Box 425
            Booval
            Qld. 4304
            Australia
            Ph. 61-7-38160341

            kodakery@...

            Honorary Life member, Australian Institute of Professional Photography.

          • Rob Niederman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 21, 2011

              Hi all … I pretty much agree with Frank. Actually in some aspects, the camera has a logical design. Inside the chamber, you can see a slot that probably held a septum. Or … is this a friction slide for focusing the inner box? This last point is a question because the lenses would require focusing. As such, I don’t see any focusing mechanics and wonder if the inner box is a push/pull design. Also note there is a slot-hole at the side near the front. If you look at the shutter, there is a long flat piece of metal above the mechanism. I believe the end of the metal protrudes through the hole and servers as a way to ‘T’ setting to keep the lenses open for accurate composition. Assuming a leather covering, there was probably a hinged piece of wood for a viewing door. As far as the front wood panel holding the shutter, the wood looks different and much cleaner than the rest of the camera. Etc.

              - Rob

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011
                Hi all

                I've made some calls to his office and verified the email asking for help from Matt is a scam and his email account and ID appear to have been compromised. See this similar scam message http://www.laozhong.net/list/109/127948.html.

                I wrote to Matt's email address and got a quick reply from the scammer asking for money to be wired to a Western Union office which failed to mention a secret fact I referred to.

                Please ignore this hoax.

                Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia
              • Milan Zahorcak
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011

                  Great minds.

                  I did exactly the same thing and got exactly the same thing response.  I asked what my name was in English - Matt knows.

                  Worrisome that I haven't gotten through to Matt by phone.  Anyone gotten through?

                  His address book is obviously compromised and so the hacker knows us anyway - might be fun to send offers of help if he'll forgive our debts, etc.

                  mz

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011

                    Gentleman,

                    Just got off the phone with Matt.  He's home and is fine . . . as has been hacked.  he knows it and been been getting calls from various concerned collectors every 30 seconds for the 3 hours.

                    So - confirmed hoax - he doesn't want our money - damn, and I was going to lean on him for his CCH viewer.

                    But I still think we should all send him a $1 so he feels obligated to us . . .

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011
                      Hi, close call.

                      I registerd with western union ready to send.

                      Regards, Sandy

[...]

                    • Ake Borgstrom
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011
                        Hi,

                        I got the same mail and instant thought it was a scam, dont respond is my advice.

                        Best regards,

                        Ake Borgstrom
                        Collector of Antique & 19th Century Cameras
                        http://www.photographica.nu