Pre 1900 Business Cards?

  • dcolucci@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011
      I just picked up a very nice ROC "business card."  Given the address, looks circa 1891

      Despite the numerous billheads, catalogues, mailing envelopes, shipping boxes, advertising and other ROC pieces I have owned and come across over the years, I have never seen a business card by a pre-1900 US camera maker before.... have you ?   They seem pretty scarce to me....

      Thanks
      Dan

    • Rob Niederman
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2011

        Hey Dan;

        Similar to your note, I have an original business card for Frank Pearsall that dates to the 1870s based on the address … Frank invented / patented / built the 1883 Compact Camera (acknowledged as the first fully self-casing camera) that is the core DNA of all subsequent self-contained folding cameras.

        And … last year I managed to acquire a tintype of Frank himself as a young man.

        - Rob

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 9, 2011
          Hi Dan

          I have never seen a British camera maker's card prior to 1900, not that I don't think they were used, but they are such ephemeral items I don't think many have survived. I collect images as well yet have just one business card for an Australian photographer from the 19th cenutry despite there being around 3000 photographers and studios here prior to 1900. As a similar example also I collect old photographic catalogues. I have two Thorton Pickard ones and have only seen three others for sale across the last 20 years or so. I just came across a reference to the firm sending 20 000 catalogues alone to the USA in 1908 for that market, so assuming they might have printed perhaps 40-50 000 in total where are they all now?

          Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 14, 2011
            Thanks for the email Marcel.

            I agree that business cards seem to be scarce...but it still boggles my mind how more couldn't have survived.  Like I said previously, I have billheads from the 1850's, 1860's and 1870's and these are as fragile as business cards....

            Anyone else have any input?

            thanks
            Dan

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 14, 2011

              Thinking more about this, maybe makers’ business cards weren’t a necessity or the norm. As observed, they were small, fragile, and often lost. On the other hand, advertising cards with photos and comments on the reverse such as “made with the XYZ camera” often appear.

              Could it be that these manufacturers’ advertising camera/photo cards served the role of a business card? The benefits are obvious: bigger, thicker paper, not easily lost, etc.

              Thoughts?

              On this topic … BTW … I acquired (the only example I’ve seen) an advertising card with a photo made by the original Blair Tourograph:

              Note the company name does not include “& Dry Plate Company”; so this is a really early advert card: c.1880-81.

              - Rob

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 14, 2011
                Hi,

                business cards are ephemeral.. one the client had contacted the photographer, it was no longer needed, where as billheads were kept ten as now for tax & business and household income purposes...

                regards, Sandy.

                and I have a few dozen photographers business cards.  what I believe is rarer is photographers 'coupons' redeemable for portraits/photos.

                On 15/07/2011, at 1:57 AM, dcolucci@... wrote:

[...]

                Vintage Graphics.
                ABN  15 182 803 759
                Po Box 425
                Booval
                Qld. 4304
                Australia
                Ph. 61-7-38160341

                kodakery@...

                Honorary Life member, Australian Institute of Professional Photography.

              • dcolucci@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 14, 2011
                  Sandy

                  I am actually distinguishing between equipment makers and photographers business cards.  I think photographers cards are pretty common...you can find them on ebay fairly easy....  but equipment makers? Not so much..... That's what I am curious about...

                  I think Rob may be on to something about biz cards vs using advertising via images.  I have an 1870 image with a great ad for Simon Wing's Multiplying camera on the back.... a full ad....

                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 14, 2011
                    Hi again,

                    infact I think business cards were more important in the early days.. for the exact same reason that the CDV was invented..

                    in Victorian england etiquette of high society, you needed to be "introduced" to another person by a third person forma;;y. sounds stupid now..

                    and also the need that when they visited a house (upper society) they would present their 'card' at the door,

                    the reason there are not many about was; a, the 'high' society that was around then was a lot smaller percentage tan it is today, (and the population was a fraction of what it is today anyway) and b, the ephemeral nature of such an introduction device. c, the many 'generations' that have been and gone since the era... remember that such items are also important only to the person/customer in question, and so became an estate property item, e.g. when the person died, they generally when out with the rest of the persons documents/estate ephermia, etc. and so unless the next generation was either a keen hoarder, or kept items associated with the person for reasons of "remembrance"... don't forget that genealogical societies were non existent, collectors and even Museums were very rare in the victorian era, and only the very high society even had storage facilities in their houses..

                    (remember going to an auction in the 1970's, of a 1850's house in Brisbane, who's main claim to fame was it still had its "Box' room... this was the room in which all the storage containers, boxes, were kept.." if you look at the average workers house of the victorian era they had fewer rooms than we have today, and the lower class often lived in what we now call "bed-siters" one room house. went to another auction of an old country slab hut house, and they had almost the entire wall area covered with framed photos. very rare...

                    to day it is just as rare to find 'non photographers' visiting cards. let alone other trade cards. you can still see hundreds of trade cards on ebay, compared to the many millions of businesses of their day., but in proportion to the business of that day, photographers were a VERY small percentage and so today are only a smaller percent of what has survived...

                    a high percent of CDV albums would have had a photographers business card in them, and you can often see those ;cute little Christmasy' type cdv's of poems of ' greeting  type wreaths' etc, (one of the most common were poems inviting the person to ADD extra images of loved ones" to the album. where as the plain business card woudl have been taken out as the album was filled with extra images..

                    regards, Sandy

                    On 15/07/2011, at 4:27 AM, Rob Niederman wrote:

                    Thinking more about this, maybe makers’ business cards weren’t a necessity or the norm. As observed, they were small, fragile, and often lost. On the other hand, advertising cards with photos and comments on the reverse such as “made with the XYZ camera” often appear.

                    Could it be that these manufacturers’ advertising camera/photo cards served the role of a business card? The benefits are obvious: bigger, thicker paper, not easily lost, etc.

                    Thoughts?

                    On this topic … BTW … I acquired (the only example I’ve seen) an advertising card with a photo made by the original Blair Tourograph:

                    <image001.jpg>

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 20, 2011
                          Hello,

                          This completely baffles me.  A stripped production camera of some sort, or a "Frankenstein's monster"?  I don't know.  What is it?

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/290589545997

                          Comments anybody?

                          Good day, Frank West

                        • Maren /Fred Friedman

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 20, 2011
                              Hello Fred, it has many beguiling features that suggest not.  It appears that the body was leather covered at some point, and the dried remains were scraped off.  The shutter looks like something more manufactured than cobbled together.  The overall construction suggests accurate hand assembly line work, not piece meal part matching.  It even has a tripod screw port underneath.  The primary complaint, I'm wondering if the front panel was heavily repaired and no longer original.  These are simple "thinking out loud" observations, nothing more.  I just believe there is more to this camera than meets the eye.  Good day, Frank West

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 20, 2011
                                Hi,

                                my 2cents worth.

                                the "rough saw" wood side of the camera and 'crate nailed' box does not match the focusing screens accurate "spline splice" construction. and the inside of the camera to me looks like a mass produced camera.

                                my opinion, home made body using other mass produced part, made by someone a bit above the average photographer, but definatly not a quality home machinist...

                                regards, Sandy

                                Sandy

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 21, 2011

                                  Hi all … I pretty much agree with Frank. Actually in some aspects, the camera has a logical design. Inside the chamber, you can see a slot that probably held a septum. Or … is this a friction slide for focusing the inner box? This last point is a question because the lenses would require focusing. As such, I don’t see any focusing mechanics and wonder if the inner box is a push/pull design. Also note there is a slot-hole at the side near the front. If you look at the shutter, there is a long flat piece of metal above the mechanism. I believe the end of the metal protrudes through the hole and servers as a way to ‘T’ setting to keep the lenses open for accurate composition. Assuming a leather covering, there was probably a hinged piece of wood for a viewing door. As far as the front wood panel holding the shutter, the wood looks different and much cleaner than the rest of the camera. Etc.

                                  - Rob

                                  BOX WOOD 5x7 CAMERA w/ D. GRAY BRASS LENSES

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011
                                    Hi all

                                    I've made some calls to his office and verified the email asking for help from Matt is a scam and his email account and ID appear to have been compromised. See this similar scam message http://www.laozhong.net/list/109/127948.html.

                                    I wrote to Matt's email address and got a quick reply from the scammer asking for money to be wired to a Western Union office which failed to mention a secret fact I referred to.

                                    Please ignore this hoax.

                                    Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia
                                  • Milan Zahorcak
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011

                                      Great minds.

                                      I did exactly the same thing and got exactly the same thing response.  I asked what my name was in English - Matt knows.

                                      Worrisome that I haven't gotten through to Matt by phone.  Anyone gotten through?

                                      His address book is obviously compromised and so the hacker knows us anyway - might be fun to send offers of help if he'll forgive our debts, etc.

                                      mz

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011

                                        Gentleman,

                                        Just got off the phone with Matt.  He's home and is fine . . . as has been hacked.  he knows it and been been getting calls from various concerned collectors every 30 seconds for the 3 hours.

                                        So - confirmed hoax - he doesn't want our money - damn, and I was going to lean on him for his CCH viewer.

                                        But I still think we should all send him a $1 so he feels obligated to us . . .

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011
                                          Hi, close call.

                                          I registerd with western union ready to send.

                                          Regards, Sandy

[...]

                                        • Ake Borgstrom
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 29, 2011
                                            Hi,

                                            I got the same mail and instant thought it was a scam, dont respond is my advice.

                                            Best regards,

                                            Ake Borgstrom
                                            Collector of Antique & 19th Century Cameras
                                            http://www.photographica.nu