FJ Haynes Imperial Cabinet Card featuring Walker's Pocket Camera

  • dcolucci@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16 1:46 PM
      I am anxiously awaiting for the mail to arrive with my recent ebay purchase of a $ 68 Imperial Cabinet Card (~7x10") of a family on a porch with a young man holding Walker's Pocket Camera on a tripod.  From the Studio of FJ Haynes to boot !  Haynes used this card stock and imprinting from about 1880 to about 1885.

      Anyone have any advice as to possibly cleaning up the image?  I know at best I should just dust it off with a soft brush, but is there any hope a professional can remove some of the molds and/or staining..?  Or is that just wishful thinking?

      Thanks
      Dan

    • Scott B
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16 2:24 PM
        Dan,

        You might check with a professional conservator.  Here's one I know of:   http://gawainweaver.com/

        best wishes,
        Scott

        Message 3 of 4 , May 16 5:21 PM
          By all means, go to a museum conservator if you want to clean the image.  My wife is a museum professional (but not in photography) and she has convinced me that the best course of action is to do nothing if the artifact is stable, and to only conserve if necessary to prevent further deterioration.  In that case, scan at 1200dps and do a digital cleanup.  That way, you have the image, but haven't done anything to the original, in case some fantastic and better type of conservation is invented in the future.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 17 1:03 AM
            Nice image Dan. It is likely the mould spores are dead or at least quiescent. You can find mention on line of using formaldehyde fuming to treat them if still active. I think it might be best to store it in dry archival containment and just work on restoring a digital scan.

            Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

            =======
            http://www.pctools.com
            =======