catalog scans

  • Larry Pierce
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 15, 2011
      Hi folks,

      Perhaps some of you may have already noticed that I recently enlarged the photos at Field Cameras of the United States, http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/.  They are made for a screen mode of at least 1600 pixels in width, and some are as wide as 2500 pixels.  I thought it was about time to assume that people have large screens and wideband connections.

      A while ago, when I had purchased an 1882 Walzl catalog on eBay, someone asked me if I would scan it.  At that time, I did not, because of concerns over its tight binding and the damage I might do while attempting to scan.  I have since decided to give it a go and scanned the catalog portions.  I did not damage the spine, but the back cover did detach during the process, which merely points out the problems in scanning some catalogs.  On the other hand, from now on, it can remain unopened in its mylar sleeve, so, in the long run, it probably will sustain less total damage, since I can now refer to an electronic copy instead of opening the book itself.  You may find these scans at http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs/1882walzl.htm.  They include some descriptions and prices of Semmendinger cameras, the only such descriptions I have ever seen.

      In the future, I will be posting other scans of catalogs.  The index will be at http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs.htm.  The web pages are very large, so hopefully you all have fast connections.  If you only have dial-up, you will grow old before they download.

      Happy viewing,
      Larry
    • Maren /Fred Friedman
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 15, 2011
        Larry,
        Thank you so much for sharing. Much appreciated.
        Fred Friedman

      • dcolucci@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 15, 2011
          Hi Larry

          I happen to see your updated site this morning - your collection continues to impress.  Love the ROC Midget.

          The images are way too wide on my laptop - but clear as a bell.

          Thanks for the work.

          Dan

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 15, 2011
              Hi all

              Today I saw one of Australia's best camera (around 2500) and photo collections that has been completely inundated by muddy floodwater on Wednesday courtesy of the Queensland floods.  Many rare and beautiful cameras were trashed, especially Australia's largest collection of wood and brass items, wet plate items, brass lenses, but also Leicas including a prototype, Nikon rangefinders etc etc, and all manor of key items from the history of photography plus a lot of 16mm cine and all his usable film and digital equipment. Then there were the photos, over 65 000 glass plate and sheet film negatives, many thousands of cdvs, rare landscape print albums from the 1870s and 1880s, aboriginal material, military material, cased images, stereoviews, lantern slides by the thousands, all the photos taken during his career as a pro photographer, his family photos plus a large amount of period and even 19th century photo literature, catalogues, BJAs and ephemera. It was soul destroying to see. The rescue task is beyond the team working on it really and large number of items just have to be forfeited but we have at least begun the process of recovery. Much of the help couldn't get in until today due to flood caused road closures isolating the location.  My friend also lost all his computer equipment plus all back up drives which were stored on site.  He could not get flood insurance as the region flooded in 1974 and his collection perhaps worth upwards of $1000000 was uninsured.

              I have a modest fraction of the number of cameras but 30 000 odd images and although I am not in a flood prone area, my collection could still be at risk. It has all been a salutory lesson and we all need to consider the value of what we collect and to ensure its safety and survival.

              Anyone who has advice and how to handle this situation is welcome to get in touch. With power still off, freezing the cameras on site is not possible and you would needs a doezen domestic freezers to handle the task.

              Cheers!

              Marcel, Brisbane, Australia

              Database version: 6.16700
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 15, 2011
                Larry

                I've always enjoyed your site and now it is even better! Like Dan, for me many of the images are off my screen and required scrolling. I have a 23" monitor and resolution set at the recommended 1680 x 1050 (I doubt the majority of potential viewers will be running higher res than this). Sadly when I see all the lovely wood and brass I am immediately reminded of the devastated cameras I saw yesterday that went under in the Ipswich flood. I am going up again today to work on them. I expect down the track a lot of (previously) choice items will end up on eBay
                possibly for parts only as there are simply too many to ever attempt to recover/restore.

                Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

                Wood and brass list moderator

                On 16/01/2011 6:47 AM, Larry Pierce wrote:

[...]

              • Milan Zahorcak
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 16, 2011

                  Larry,

                  Nice work and much appreciated - especially as I own a couple of Walzl Improved Globe lenses.  I had a copy of crude scans of those pages, but yours are far better.

                  Just a couple of tech details if you don't mind.

                  What are the actual dimensions of the Walzl catalog?  I also have a large monitor and I'd to figure out how to scale it properly.

                  I'm guessing the catalog is something like 7x10 and you scanned at 150 DPI?  Or is it smaller and and scanned at a higher DPI?

                  I generally scan at 300 DPI, but that would make your catalog tiny . . . anyway, just the basic dimensions so I can "see it properly."

                  Thanks,

                  Milan

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 16, 2011
                        Larry,

                        Ahhh, explains what I'm looking at.  I can rework the resolution for a better scale and fit.

                        Thanks,

                        mz

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 13, 2011
                          Larry,
                          Thank you so much. You have given us an amazing trove of treasures. Fantastic!
                          Fred in sunny Cliffside Park, NJ
[...]

                        • Larry S. Pierce

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 15, 2011
                              Fantastic.  Greatly appreciated.

                              ...Scott

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 11, 2011
                                Hi all

                                I wonder if anyone on this list has a Ross wooden Twin Lens Reflex? I am expecting one of the former in the post but it doesn't have lenses. It is a natural timber finish unlike the few others I have seen which have black leather covering including one my friend Sandy has which sadly went under in the Queensland floods earlier this year. Sandy has kindly offered me the lenses from his trashed one.

                                Cheers!

                                Marcel, Brisbane, Australia

                                =======
                                http://www.pctools.com
                                =======
                              • Eric Evans
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 12, 2011
                                  Hi Marcel,
                                                I have one with the black leather covering, in the 5x7 size. Mine came without lenses, so totally amazed at finding some in my stock that screwed straight in, I fitted a couple of non-original lenses that I happened to have, purely for display purposes. It is a huge thing, but still fitted with buttons for a neck strap. Can't remember where, but I saw a photo of one recently advertised for sale, which appeared to be a polished wood finish, but on close inspection may have been smooth tan hide covering, with a polished mahogany interior.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 12, 2011
                                    Hello Eric

                                    Thanks for your input. I meant to say mine had a natural timber finish on the interior, not exterior and appears to have the tan hide outer covering, not disimilar from this one which I found shortly after sending my post on our beloved site http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_C120.html#C158 and which I am now informed has aluminium hardware. Mine has brass. Sandy's lens are black but being genuine to a similar model Ross, I feel they will be my best option. I will also be getting the mounting flanges which are also missing from my camera.