Platinotype Company 's "Key Camera".1891.

  • ericevans2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2010
      I have just posted pictures of the above distinctively "Cross Hatched" finish detective camera that I have recently acquired. Its claim to fame was that using special darkslides, which fitted a cylindrical seal across the end of the slide to a sealed slot across the camera, single plates could be dropped into the camera, exposed, and by inversion, dropped back into the slide. Without the dedicated slide, the functioning of the camera becomes a bit obscure.
      Unfortunately, not a single slide was available with the camera when I bought it. So, if anyone has what they know to be one of these, or in their "miscellaneous" box a tinplate 1/4 plate darkslide, (or rather a flat slide-shaped box, big enough to hold a single plate), with a cylindrical transverse bit on the end, which acted as a light seal, or if anybody could point me in the direction of one such, I would be very interested to hear about it. Further information on this interesting camera is in Channing and Dunn "British Camera Makers", p.102, and in Brian Coe's "Cameras" p.43.