New Zealand Camera Catalogues

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2010
      Hi all

      I was recently in New Zealand attending the conference of the Photographic Collectors Association of NZ in Christchurch. I am very interested in paralleling photographic manufacture, wholesaling and retailing practices between Australia and New Zealand and got to see examples of cameras made by three NZ makers: Girvan, S. J. Smith and George Wilson. I've also managed to acquire a very interesting 272 page catalogue of the Imperial Camera Co. of Wellington. This firm was founded by H. T. Brittain in 1905. The catalogue is from around 1910  and was printed in Wellington. It features cameras mainly by Houghtons, Thornton Pickard and Kodak as well as a full range of photographic accessories. The Imperial Camera Co. was taken over by Harrington's (NZ) a branch of the Australian firm in October 1911. Interestingly Sharland's another major retailer in NZ were based in Wellington and I have one of their catalogues as well. They were taken over by A. Waterworth in 1914. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with other older NZ catalogues.

      Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

      Database version: 6.16090