[woodandbrass] Re: Recently acquired Butcher National (?) with a mystery

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2010
      Welcome to the group Vernon. Traffic has been pretty slow here lately but there are a dedicated core reading all messages who will response when possible. The difficulty when matching up cameras with catalogues is that camera specifications varied over time while the camera model name sometimes didn't so examining later catalogues may reveal stylistic variations from previous catalogue editions that may match your camera more precisely. Not too many collectors have complete runs of one maker's catalogues whether stand alone or incorporated into publications suc has the BJP almanac. It is a dream of mine for a collaborative effort to one day reproduce as many original camera catalogues in digital form as possible.

      I don't know what KC No.3 means on the camera and I agree with Eric the camera back could have been replaced. It is also possible that a recess intended for a maker's badge on the back has been replaced or filled by a retailer's badge. Although these are usually the business' name, perhaps in this case it is a model designation of a retailer.

      Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia
      Moderator - Wood and Brass list

      On 16/10/2010 1:09 AM, ericevans2000 wrote:

      Hi Vernon,
      Welcome to the group, you will find a fair few knowledgeable people on here.
      The simplest answer to your mystery would be if someone had taken the removable back from a KC camera and added it to your National. I have known this kind of thing to happen several times while I have been collecting; backs get lost and others will sometimes fit.
      As you will be aware from my web site,
      www.woodandbrass.co.uk
      the KC is a bit of a mystery to me, too. We had a bit of a discussion about it on this forum, as I recall, but we never got anywhere in establishing who the makers were; Kodak was a possibility that was mooted, but we just don't know. I ended up attributing mine to Kemp & Co., but that is just a guess, really.
      Welcome and regards,
      Eric.

      --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "Vernon Page" <joiceandvern@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone - I joined the group only yesterday and already it has solved a mystery and opened up another one. Browsing the website I came across discussion and pictures (July 2008) of a camera thought to be a Butcher National. I realised it has some common points with my own mystery camera, and turned to my 1906 Butcher catalogue, to discover to my slight embarrassment that I had the details in print all the time. My camera is so similar to the Butcher National it has to be at least a close relative.
      > I have posted pictures on woodandbrass, and among them you will see pages from the catalogue showing the half plate (ref. earlier discussion) and full plate (my own) version of the camera. I will email these to anyone who wants a clearer view. BUT it opens up a mystery. My camera has a badge on the rear stating "KC No 3". I notice that on Eric's excellent website there is also a camera with this badge, tentatively attributed to Kemp Cameras. But that camera does not show any strong resemblance to mine. It does seem the Butcher National was being sold under different names, and may not have actually been made by Butcher, but does anybody knowfor sure what "KC No 3" means?

      Database version: 6.16090
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2010
        Hi all

        I was recently in New Zealand attending the conference of the Photographic Collectors Association of NZ in Christchurch. I am very interested in paralleling photographic manufacture, wholesaling and retailing practices between Australia and New Zealand and got to see examples of cameras made by three NZ makers: Girvan, S. J. Smith and George Wilson. I've also managed to acquire a very interesting 272 page catalogue of the Imperial Camera Co. of Wellington. This firm was founded by H. T. Brittain in 1905. The catalogue is from around 1910  and was printed in Wellington. It features cameras mainly by Houghtons, Thornton Pickard and Kodak as well as a full range of photographic accessories. The Imperial Camera Co. was taken over by Harrington's (NZ) a branch of the Australian firm in October 1911. Interestingly Sharland's another major retailer in NZ were based in Wellington and I have one of their catalogues as well. They were taken over by A. Waterworth in 1914. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with other older NZ catalogues.