Camera Identification Needed

  • Ralph & Bobbi London
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2010
      I would appreciate help in identifying a camera I recently received. It came from the Eaton Lothrop Auction, lot 1833296, which consisted of a Falcon Kodak and two unidentified cameras.  Images are still available at:

      It's the one in the middle of the group pictures (but on the right in the last picture).

      The camera uses glass plates and is 3-1/4in wide, 2-1/2 high and 4-1/4 deep.  The thin, brass double plateholder, which came with the camera, makes an image of 2 x 2-3/8in.  The holder has the patent date May 18, 1897 stamped on each side.  Each of the two control levers on the top front moves only sideways.  The lever near the side edge sets the shutter, once in each direction.  The lever in the center is the shutter release, and it also can choose, in a non-obvious way, instant and time exposure.  The reflex finder is off-center, which I think is to allow the sector shutter to block the finder as a picture is taken.  An instant exposure blocks the finder very briefly.  A time exposure blocks it until the exposure is over, presumably to tell you the lens is still open.  Except for the patent date, I have found no text or markings.

      Currently I think the camera is probably a Monroe box camera, based mostly on the well fitting plateholder (including the patent date), which seems to be identical to plateholders found with various Monroe strut cameras.  The two control levers also remind me of those on some Monroes.  I have sold all of my Monroe cameras so I cannot directly compare.   Beyond ads for their strut and folding bed cameras, I have not seen a Monroe catalog or other relevant literature.  I can find no mention of a Monroe box camera.  I know of no one who has seen a Monroe catalog or knows of a Monroe box camera.  Does anyone know of an instruction manual for this camera?

      Incidentally, I recognized one of the unidentifieds as a Blair Baby Hawk-Eye, the only reason I bid on the lot.  I expect to sell the Falcon.

      Ralph

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2010
        Hi Ralph

        I do not know a lot about American cameras but the patent date should enable a search on http://www.google.com/patents and a general hunt around that date might locate the camera.

        Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

        On 15/08/2010 2:01 AM, Ralph & Bobbi London wrote:

[...]

        Database version: 6.15650