Re: [woodandbrass] RIDDELL and RAE

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
      Hello Paul and Eric

      About 60 minutes research has revealed the following. From the census George Rae was a chemist and optician and formed a partnership with his brother to continue the business after he parted with Riddell. Andrew Riddell continued as a photographic retailer after the partnership split and note the changing box he made.

      Eric, perhaps this can be subject of a future PCCGB article like the Binnie feature if Paul would be so kind to photograph his camera? There are certinaly more references to the firm that I have found.

      Christies auctioned one of their cameras in 1993:

      A 15 x 12 inch brass and mahogany field camera, the top plate stamped G.N.R., in makers fitted leather case stamped G.N.R. (Great Northern Railway).
      Sale 6314
      Fine and Rare Cameras
      London, South Kensington

      -----------------

      Rae Ltd. 77 Renfield St, Glasgow; 18 Charing Cross Mansions, Glasgow; 134 St. Vincent St, Glasgow; 38 Hamilton St, Greenock; 147 High St, Perth; 100 High St, Paisley
      Andrew Riddell 139 W. George St

      1894 Photogram
      -----------------

      134 St. Vincent St, Glasgow
      23d August 1895
      The Firm of RIDDELL & RAE, Dealer in
      Photographic Materials and Lanterns and Lantern
      Slide, of which the Subscribers were sole Partners, was
      DISSOLVED as on 18th current, by the Retiral therefrom
      of the Subscriber ANDREW RIDDELL.
         The Business will be continued at the above Address, as
      formerly, by the Subscriber GEORGE GLADSTONE RAE,
      under the firm of RIDDELL & RAE. He will uplift the out'
      standing Debts, and will pay the Liabilities of the dissolved
      Firm.
      ANDREW RIDDELL,
      GEORGE GLADSTONE RAE,

      HENRY S. CARRUTHERS, Writer, Glasgow
      Witness.
      W. WILSON ADAM, Apprentice-at-lae, 62
      Bath Street, Glasgow, Witness.

      Glasgow Herald, Thursday, August 29, 1895; Issue 207
      -----------------

      RAE BROS., of 134, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, make a
      specialty of a changing box, which is cheap, effective, and
      handy, shown in the accompanying diagram

      Photographic News August 28, 1896 p.557
      -----------------

      A second Perth branch in New Street
      has been opened by Rae Bros. of St Vincent
      Street, Glasgow, They have now five estab-
      lishments in all, two in Glasgow, one in Paisley,
      and two in Perth.

      Practical and Junior Photographer Vol. 1 No. 1, August 1900, p.18
      -----------------

      MESSRS. RAE BROS of Glasgow, have opened another
      branch of their business at 38 Hamilton St, Greenock,

      The Premises have been fitted up in the most approved
      style, a special department being devoted to eye-testing.

      Photographic Dealer Jan 1904 p.4
      -----------------

      ANDREW RIDDELL, 139 W. George St, Glasgow, has
      issued a capital catalogue of 136 pages. It is very concisely
      arranged, and very fully covers the whole subject of photo-
      graphic apparatus and materials. The different sections are
      printed on different coloured papers, so that any of them can
      be easily turned to by one who is used to the catalogue, and
      under these different sections the arrangments is simple and
      good.

      The Photogram Vol. III No. 29 May 1896 p. 128
      -----------------

      George Gladstone Rae census entries

      1871 census

      Name: Robert Rae
      Age: 39
      Estimated birth year: abt 1832
      Relationship: Head
      Spouse's name : Sophia
      Gender: Male
      Where born: Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire
      Registration Number: 644/7
      Registration district: Milton
      Civil parish: Glasgow St George
      County: Lanarkshire
      Address: 6 Brace St
      Occupation: Quarryman
      ED: 48
      Household schedule number: 17
      Line: 25
      Roll: CSSCT1871_135
      Household Members: Name Age
      Robert Rae 39
      Sophia Rae 41
      James Rae 30
      Annie Rae 16
      John G Rae 14
      Jane H Rae 8
      Grace G Rae 2 (possibly a typo for George G.)

      1881 census

      Name: George Rae
      Age: 13
      Estimated birth year: abt 1868
      Relationship: Son
      Mother's Name: Sophia
      Gender: Male
      Where born: Sanquher, Dumfriesshire
      Registration Number: 622/1
      Registration district: Maryhill
      Civil parish: Maryhill
      County: Lanarkshire
      Address: 210 Saracen St
      Occupation: Scholar
      ED: 13
      Household schedule number: 23
      Line: 18
      Roll: cssct1881_200
      Household Members: Name Age
      Sophia Rae 51
      Annie Rae 26
      John Rae 24
      Jane Rae 18
      Robert Rae 15
      George Rae 13

      1891 census

      Name: George G Rae
      Age: 22
      Estimated birth year: abt 1869
      Relationship: Son
      Mother's Name: Sophia
      Gender: Male
      Where born: Sanquhar, Dumfries
      Registration Number: 622/1
      Registration district: Maryhill
      Civil parish: Barony
      County: Lanarkshire
      Address: 210 Saracen St
      Occupation: Chemist
      ED: 14
      Household schedule number: 172
      Line: 21
      Roll: CSSCT1891_220
      Household Members: Name Age
      Sophia Rae 61
      Annie Rae 36
      John G Rae 34
      Jane H Rae 28
      George G Rae 22

      1901 Census

      Name: George Rae
      Age: 31
      Estimated birth year: abt 1870
      Relationship: Head
      Spouse's name : Catherine
      Gender: Male
      Where born: Sanguhar, Dumfriesshire
      Registration Number: 560B
      Registration district: Cathcart Burgh
      Civil parish: Cathcart
      County: Lanarkshire
      Address: 10 Eskdale Street
      Occupation: Chsto Pealer & Optician
      ED: 9
      Household schedule number: 81
      Line: 7
      Roll: CSSCT1901_189
      Household Members: Name Age
      George Rae 31
      Catherine Rae 35
      Arthur Rae 1
      Cathie Ann Rae 2mos
      Annie A Sinclair 23

      Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia
      Moderator, Wood and Brass

      On 9/08/2010 6:18 AM, Eric Evans wrote:

      Hi Paul,
                 Thanks for contacting me, it is nice to hear from you, but I am afraid I can't be of much assistance. I have a Riddell camera on my web site, www.woodandbrass. co.uk but the information I have on it is very meagre, and I am not sure whether he is one half of "Riddell and Rae" or not.
           Channing and Dunn, in "British Camera Makers", a standard work, say that they have searched for but not found any references to the name except in McKeown's "Cameras", a massive reference work; I have looked it up and there is just the one recorded example of Riddell's work, a folding plate camera which McKeown dates to "c.1880s".
          I also have a bag-change magazine back engraved "R&S Patent. Riddell and Rae, Makers, Glasgow". Unfortunately this is not dated and carries no other information, and what the "R&S" may mean is another little mystery; maybe they went through a phase of being Riddell and Sons.
          I think that what we can assume is that their products are pretty rare; other than that, I can't help you, I'm sorry.
      Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:02 PM
      Subject: [woodandbrass] RIDDELL and RAE

      Hello,

      I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
      I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
      Any help will be much appreciated.

      Paul Cordes

      Database version: 6.15600
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
        John Gibson Rae was George Gladstone Rae's partner in Rae Bros.

        It appears he ran the Perth branch:

        1901 census

        Name: John G Rae
        Age: 44
        Estimated birth year: abt 1857
        Relationship: Head
        Spouse's name : Mary
        Gender: Male
        Where born: Sanquhar
        Registration Number: 394A
        Registration district: Scone
        Civil parish: Scone
        County: Perthshire
        Address: Queens Road
        Occupation: Photo Dealer
        ED: 1
        Household schedule number: 55
        Line: 9
        Roll: CSSCT1901_128
        Household Members: Name Age
        John G Rae 44
        Mary Rae 30

        Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

        Database version: 6.15600
      • classicphotos69
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
          Thanks for the help with the Riddell and Rae.
          I will keep you posted if I buy the camera, failing that I will supply some photographs.

          Paul