Re: [woodandbrass] RIDDELL and RAE

  • Eric Evans
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
      Hi Paul,
                 Thanks for contacting me, it is nice to hear from you, but I am afraid I can't be of much assistance. I have a Riddell camera on my web site, www.woodandbrass.co.uk but the information I have on it is very meagre, and I am not sure whether he is one half of "Riddell and Rae" or not.
           Channing and Dunn, in "British Camera Makers", a standard work, say that they have searched for but not found any references to the name except in McKeown's "Cameras", a massive reference work; I have looked it up and there is just the one recorded example of Riddell's work, a folding plate camera which McKeown dates to "c.1880s".
          I also have a bag-change magazine back engraved "R&S Patent. Riddell and Rae, Makers, Glasgow". Unfortunately this is not dated and carries no other information, and what the "R&S" may mean is another little mystery; maybe they went through a phase of being Riddell and Sons.
          I think that what we can assume is that their products are pretty rare; other than that, I can't help you, I'm sorry.
      Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:02 PM
      Subject: [woodandbrass] RIDDELL and RAE

      Hello,

      I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
      I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
      Any help will be much appreciated.

      Paul Cordes

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
        Hello Paul and Eric

        About 60 minutes research has revealed the following. From the census George Rae was a chemist and optician and formed a partnership with his brother to continue the business after he parted with Riddell. Andrew Riddell continued as a photographic retailer after the partnership split and note the changing box he made.

        Eric, perhaps this can be subject of a future PCCGB article like the Binnie feature if Paul would be so kind to photograph his camera? There are certinaly more references to the firm that I have found.

        Christies auctioned one of their cameras in 1993:

        A 15 x 12 inch brass and mahogany field camera, the top plate stamped G.N.R., in makers fitted leather case stamped G.N.R. (Great Northern Railway).
        Sale 6314
        Fine and Rare Cameras
        London, South Kensington

        -----------------

        Rae Ltd. 77 Renfield St, Glasgow; 18 Charing Cross Mansions, Glasgow; 134 St. Vincent St, Glasgow; 38 Hamilton St, Greenock; 147 High St, Perth; 100 High St, Paisley
        Andrew Riddell 139 W. George St

        1894 Photogram
        -----------------

        134 St. Vincent St, Glasgow
        23d August 1895
        The Firm of RIDDELL & RAE, Dealer in
        Photographic Materials and Lanterns and Lantern
        Slide, of which the Subscribers were sole Partners, was
        DISSOLVED as on 18th current, by the Retiral therefrom
        of the Subscriber ANDREW RIDDELL.
           The Business will be continued at the above Address, as
        formerly, by the Subscriber GEORGE GLADSTONE RAE,
        under the firm of RIDDELL & RAE. He will uplift the out'
        standing Debts, and will pay the Liabilities of the dissolved
        Firm.
        ANDREW RIDDELL,
        GEORGE GLADSTONE RAE,

        HENRY S. CARRUTHERS, Writer, Glasgow
        Witness.
        W. WILSON ADAM, Apprentice-at-lae, 62
        Bath Street, Glasgow, Witness.

        Glasgow Herald, Thursday, August 29, 1895; Issue 207
        -----------------

        RAE BROS., of 134, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, make a
        specialty of a changing box, which is cheap, effective, and
        handy, shown in the accompanying diagram

        Photographic News August 28, 1896 p.557
        -----------------

        A second Perth branch in New Street
        has been opened by Rae Bros. of St Vincent
        Street, Glasgow, They have now five estab-
        lishments in all, two in Glasgow, one in Paisley,
        and two in Perth.

        Practical and Junior Photographer Vol. 1 No. 1, August 1900, p.18
        -----------------

        MESSRS. RAE BROS of Glasgow, have opened another
        branch of their business at 38 Hamilton St, Greenock,

        The Premises have been fitted up in the most approved
        style, a special department being devoted to eye-testing.

        Photographic Dealer Jan 1904 p.4
        -----------------

        ANDREW RIDDELL, 139 W. George St, Glasgow, has
        issued a capital catalogue of 136 pages. It is very concisely
        arranged, and very fully covers the whole subject of photo-
        graphic apparatus and materials. The different sections are
        printed on different coloured papers, so that any of them can
        be easily turned to by one who is used to the catalogue, and
        under these different sections the arrangments is simple and
        good.

        The Photogram Vol. III No. 29 May 1896 p. 128
        -----------------

        George Gladstone Rae census entries

        1871 census

        Name: Robert Rae
        Age: 39
        Estimated birth year: abt 1832
        Relationship: Head
        Spouse's name : Sophia
        Gender: Male
        Where born: Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire
        Registration Number: 644/7
        Registration district: Milton
        Civil parish: Glasgow St George
        County: Lanarkshire
        Address: 6 Brace St
        Occupation: Quarryman
        ED: 48
        Household schedule number: 17
        Line: 25
        Roll: CSSCT1871_135
        Household Members: Name Age
        Robert Rae 39
        Sophia Rae 41
        James Rae 30
        Annie Rae 16
        John G Rae 14
        Jane H Rae 8
        Grace G Rae 2 (possibly a typo for George G.)

        1881 census

        Name: George Rae
        Age: 13
        Estimated birth year: abt 1868
        Relationship: Son
        Mother's Name: Sophia
        Gender: Male
        Where born: Sanquher, Dumfriesshire
        Registration Number: 622/1
        Registration district: Maryhill
        Civil parish: Maryhill
        County: Lanarkshire
        Address: 210 Saracen St
        Occupation: Scholar
        ED: 13
        Household schedule number: 23
        Line: 18
        Roll: cssct1881_200
        Household Members: Name Age
        Sophia Rae 51
        Annie Rae 26
        John Rae 24
        Jane Rae 18
        Robert Rae 15
        George Rae 13

        1891 census

        Name: George G Rae
        Age: 22
        Estimated birth year: abt 1869
        Relationship: Son
        Mother's Name: Sophia
        Gender: Male
        Where born: Sanquhar, Dumfries
        Registration Number: 622/1
        Registration district: Maryhill
        Civil parish: Barony
        County: Lanarkshire
        Address: 210 Saracen St
        Occupation: Chemist
        ED: 14
        Household schedule number: 172
        Line: 21
        Roll: CSSCT1891_220
        Household Members: Name Age
        Sophia Rae 61
        Annie Rae 36
        John G Rae 34
        Jane H Rae 28
        George G Rae 22

        1901 Census

        Name: George Rae
        Age: 31
        Estimated birth year: abt 1870
        Relationship: Head
        Spouse's name : Catherine
        Gender: Male
        Where born: Sanguhar, Dumfriesshire
        Registration Number: 560B
        Registration district: Cathcart Burgh
        Civil parish: Cathcart
        County: Lanarkshire
        Address: 10 Eskdale Street
        Occupation: Chsto Pealer & Optician
        ED: 9
        Household schedule number: 81
        Line: 7
        Roll: CSSCT1901_189
        Household Members: Name Age
        George Rae 31
        Catherine Rae 35
        Arthur Rae 1
        Cathie Ann Rae 2mos
        Annie A Sinclair 23

        Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia
        Moderator, Wood and Brass

        Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:02 PM

        Hello,

        I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
        I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
        Any help will be much appreciated.

        Paul Cordes

        Database version: 6.15600
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
          John Gibson Rae was George Gladstone Rae's partner in Rae Bros.

          It appears he ran the Perth branch:

          1901 census

          Name: John G Rae
          Age: 44
          Estimated birth year: abt 1857
          Relationship: Head
          Spouse's name : Mary
          Gender: Male
          Where born: Sanquhar
          Registration Number: 394A
          Registration district: Scone
          Civil parish: Scone
          County: Perthshire
          Address: Queens Road
          Occupation: Photo Dealer
          ED: 1
          Household schedule number: 55
          Line: 9
          Roll: CSSCT1901_128
          Household Members: Name Age
          John G Rae 44
          Mary Rae 30

          Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

          Database version: 6.15600
        • classicphotos69
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
            Thanks for the help with the Riddell and Rae.
            I will keep you posted if I buy the camera, failing that I will supply some photographs.

            Paul