Re: [woodandbrass] RIDDELL and RAE

  • Ralph & Bobbi London
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
      Here's all I can find:

      1.  KcKeown's "Price Guide," 12th edition, p. 824, lists with a picture a folding plate camera, c1880s. 9x12cm. Built-in roller-blind shutter.

      2.  Channing and Dunn, "British Camera Makers," p. 142 (in the supplementary chapter, meaning they have insufficient information): Ridell, A (one d), Glasgow, Scotland.  McKeown's price guide lists this name for a folding plate camera, 3-1/4 x 4-3/4 inches, with a built-in roller blind shutter, and gives a date of c1880s.  However, a search around this period has not revealed any other references to the name.

      Ralph

      On Aug 8, 2010, at 12:02 PM, classicphotos69 wrote:

      I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
      I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
      Any help will be much appreciated.

    • Eric Evans
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
        Hi Paul,
                   Thanks for contacting me, it is nice to hear from you, but I am afraid I can't be of much assistance. I have a Riddell camera on my web site, www.woodandbrass.co.uk but the information I have on it is very meagre, and I am not sure whether he is one half of "Riddell and Rae" or not.
             Channing and Dunn, in "British Camera Makers", a standard work, say that they have searched for but not found any references to the name except in McKeown's "Cameras", a massive reference work; I have looked it up and there is just the one recorded example of Riddell's work, a folding plate camera which McKeown dates to "c.1880s".
            I also have a bag-change magazine back engraved "R&S Patent. Riddell and Rae, Makers, Glasgow". Unfortunately this is not dated and carries no other information, and what the "R&S" may mean is another little mystery; maybe they went through a phase of being Riddell and Sons.
            I think that what we can assume is that their products are pretty rare; other than that, I can't help you, I'm sorry.
        Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:02 PM
        Subject: [woodandbrass] RIDDELL and RAE

        Hello,

        I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
        I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
        Any help will be much appreciated.

        Paul Cordes

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
          Hello Paul and Eric

          About 60 minutes research has revealed the following. From the census George Rae was a chemist and optician and formed a partnership with his brother to continue the business after he parted with Riddell. Andrew Riddell continued as a photographic retailer after the partnership split and note the changing box he made.

          Eric, perhaps this can be subject of a future PCCGB article like the Binnie feature if Paul would be so kind to photograph his camera? There are certinaly more references to the firm that I have found.

          Christies auctioned one of their cameras in 1993:

          A 15 x 12 inch brass and mahogany field camera, the top plate stamped G.N.R., in makers fitted leather case stamped G.N.R. (Great Northern Railway).
          Sale 6314
          Fine and Rare Cameras
          London, South Kensington

          -----------------

          Rae Ltd. 77 Renfield St, Glasgow; 18 Charing Cross Mansions, Glasgow; 134 St. Vincent St, Glasgow; 38 Hamilton St, Greenock; 147 High St, Perth; 100 High St, Paisley
          Andrew Riddell 139 W. George St

          1894 Photogram
          -----------------

          134 St. Vincent St, Glasgow
          23d August 1895
          The Firm of RIDDELL & RAE, Dealer in
          Photographic Materials and Lanterns and Lantern
          Slide, of which the Subscribers were sole Partners, was
          DISSOLVED as on 18th current, by the Retiral therefrom
          of the Subscriber ANDREW RIDDELL.
             The Business will be continued at the above Address, as
          formerly, by the Subscriber GEORGE GLADSTONE RAE,
          under the firm of RIDDELL & RAE. He will uplift the out'
          standing Debts, and will pay the Liabilities of the dissolved
          Firm.
          ANDREW RIDDELL,
          GEORGE GLADSTONE RAE,

          HENRY S. CARRUTHERS, Writer, Glasgow
          Witness.
          W. WILSON ADAM, Apprentice-at-lae, 62
          Bath Street, Glasgow, Witness.

          Glasgow Herald, Thursday, August 29, 1895; Issue 207
          -----------------

          RAE BROS., of 134, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, make a
          specialty of a changing box, which is cheap, effective, and
          handy, shown in the accompanying diagram

          Photographic News August 28, 1896 p.557
          -----------------

          A second Perth branch in New Street
          has been opened by Rae Bros. of St Vincent
          Street, Glasgow, They have now five estab-
          lishments in all, two in Glasgow, one in Paisley,
          and two in Perth.

          Practical and Junior Photographer Vol. 1 No. 1, August 1900, p.18
          -----------------

          MESSRS. RAE BROS of Glasgow, have opened another
          branch of their business at 38 Hamilton St, Greenock,

          The Premises have been fitted up in the most approved
          style, a special department being devoted to eye-testing.

          Photographic Dealer Jan 1904 p.4
          -----------------

          ANDREW RIDDELL, 139 W. George St, Glasgow, has
          issued a capital catalogue of 136 pages. It is very concisely
          arranged, and very fully covers the whole subject of photo-
          graphic apparatus and materials. The different sections are
          printed on different coloured papers, so that any of them can
          be easily turned to by one who is used to the catalogue, and
          under these different sections the arrangments is simple and
          good.

          The Photogram Vol. III No. 29 May 1896 p. 128
          -----------------

          George Gladstone Rae census entries

          1871 census

          Name: Robert Rae
          Age: 39
          Estimated birth year: abt 1832
          Relationship: Head
          Spouse's name : Sophia
          Gender: Male
          Where born: Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire
          Registration Number: 644/7
          Registration district: Milton
          Civil parish: Glasgow St George
          County: Lanarkshire
          Address: 6 Brace St
          Occupation: Quarryman
          ED: 48
          Household schedule number: 17
          Line: 25
          Roll: CSSCT1871_135
          Household Members: Name Age
          Robert Rae 39
          Sophia Rae 41
          James Rae 30
          Annie Rae 16
          John G Rae 14
          Jane H Rae 8
          Grace G Rae 2 (possibly a typo for George G.)

          1881 census

          Name: George Rae
          Age: 13
          Estimated birth year: abt 1868
          Relationship: Son
          Mother's Name: Sophia
          Gender: Male
          Where born: Sanquher, Dumfriesshire
          Registration Number: 622/1
          Registration district: Maryhill
          Civil parish: Maryhill
          County: Lanarkshire
          Address: 210 Saracen St
          Occupation: Scholar
          ED: 13
          Household schedule number: 23
          Line: 18
          Roll: cssct1881_200
          Household Members: Name Age
          Sophia Rae 51
          Annie Rae 26
          John Rae 24
          Jane Rae 18
          Robert Rae 15
          George Rae 13

          1891 census

          Name: George G Rae
          Age: 22
          Estimated birth year: abt 1869
          Relationship: Son
          Mother's Name: Sophia
          Gender: Male
          Where born: Sanquhar, Dumfries
          Registration Number: 622/1
          Registration district: Maryhill
          Civil parish: Barony
          County: Lanarkshire
          Address: 210 Saracen St
          Occupation: Chemist
          ED: 14
          Household schedule number: 172
          Line: 21
          Roll: CSSCT1891_220
          Household Members: Name Age
          Sophia Rae 61
          Annie Rae 36
          John G Rae 34
          Jane H Rae 28
          George G Rae 22

          1901 Census

          Name: George Rae
          Age: 31
          Estimated birth year: abt 1870
          Relationship: Head
          Spouse's name : Catherine
          Gender: Male
          Where born: Sanguhar, Dumfriesshire
          Registration Number: 560B
          Registration district: Cathcart Burgh
          Civil parish: Cathcart
          County: Lanarkshire
          Address: 10 Eskdale Street
          Occupation: Chsto Pealer & Optician
          ED: 9
          Household schedule number: 81
          Line: 7
          Roll: CSSCT1901_189
          Household Members: Name Age
          George Rae 31
          Catherine Rae 35
          Arthur Rae 1
          Cathie Ann Rae 2mos
          Annie A Sinclair 23

          Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia
          Moderator, Wood and Brass

          Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:02 PM

          Hello,

          I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
          I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
          Any help will be much appreciated.

          Paul Cordes

          Database version: 6.15600
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
            John Gibson Rae was George Gladstone Rae's partner in Rae Bros.

            It appears he ran the Perth branch:

            1901 census

            Name: John G Rae
            Age: 44
            Estimated birth year: abt 1857
            Relationship: Head
            Spouse's name : Mary
            Gender: Male
            Where born: Sanquhar
            Registration Number: 394A
            Registration district: Scone
            Civil parish: Scone
            County: Perthshire
            Address: Queens Road
            Occupation: Photo Dealer
            ED: 1
            Household schedule number: 55
            Line: 9
            Roll: CSSCT1901_128
            Household Members: Name Age
            John G Rae 44
            Mary Rae 30

            Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

            Database version: 6.15600
          • classicphotos69
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
              Thanks for the help with the Riddell and Rae.
              I will keep you posted if I buy the camera, failing that I will supply some photographs.

              Paul