RIDDELL and RAE

  • classicphotos69
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
      Hello,

      I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
      I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
      Any help will be much appreciated.

      Paul Cordes
    • Ralph & Bobbi London
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
        Here's all I can find:

        1.  KcKeown's "Price Guide," 12th edition, p. 824, lists with a picture a folding plate camera, c1880s. 9x12cm. Built-in roller-blind shutter.

        2.  Channing and Dunn, "British Camera Makers," p. 142 (in the supplementary chapter, meaning they have insufficient information): Ridell, A (one d), Glasgow, Scotland.  McKeown's price guide lists this name for a folding plate camera, 3-1/4 x 4-3/4 inches, with a built-in roller blind shutter, and gives a date of c1880s.  However, a search around this period has not revealed any other references to the name.

        Ralph

        On Aug 8, 2010, at 12:02 PM, classicphotos69 wrote:

        I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
        I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
        Any help will be much appreciated.

      • Eric Evans
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
          Hi Paul,
                     Thanks for contacting me, it is nice to hear from you, but I am afraid I can't be of much assistance. I have a Riddell camera on my web site, www.woodandbrass.co.uk but the information I have on it is very meagre, and I am not sure whether he is one half of "Riddell and Rae" or not.
               Channing and Dunn, in "British Camera Makers", a standard work, say that they have searched for but not found any references to the name except in McKeown's "Cameras", a massive reference work; I have looked it up and there is just the one recorded example of Riddell's work, a folding plate camera which McKeown dates to "c.1880s".
              I also have a bag-change magazine back engraved "R&S Patent. Riddell and Rae, Makers, Glasgow". Unfortunately this is not dated and carries no other information, and what the "R&S" may mean is another little mystery; maybe they went through a phase of being Riddell and Sons.
              I think that what we can assume is that their products are pretty rare; other than that, I can't help you, I'm sorry.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
            Hello Paul and Eric

            About 60 minutes research has revealed the following. From the census George Rae was a chemist and optician and formed a partnership with his brother to continue the business after he parted with Riddell. Andrew Riddell continued as a photographic retailer after the partnership split and note the changing box he made.

            Eric, perhaps this can be subject of a future PCCGB article like the Binnie feature if Paul would be so kind to photograph his camera? There are certinaly more references to the firm that I have found.

            Christies auctioned one of their cameras in 1993:

            A 15 x 12 inch brass and mahogany field camera, the top plate stamped G.N.R., in makers fitted leather case stamped G.N.R. (Great Northern Railway).
            Sale 6314
            Fine and Rare Cameras
            London, South Kensington

            -----------------

            Rae Ltd. 77 Renfield St, Glasgow; 18 Charing Cross Mansions, Glasgow; 134 St. Vincent St, Glasgow; 38 Hamilton St, Greenock; 147 High St, Perth; 100 High St, Paisley
            Andrew Riddell 139 W. George St

            1894 Photogram
            -----------------

            134 St. Vincent St, Glasgow
            23d August 1895
            The Firm of RIDDELL & RAE, Dealer in
            Photographic Materials and Lanterns and Lantern
            Slide, of which the Subscribers were sole Partners, was
            DISSOLVED as on 18th current, by the Retiral therefrom
            of the Subscriber ANDREW RIDDELL.
               The Business will be continued at the above Address, as
            formerly, by the Subscriber GEORGE GLADSTONE RAE,
            under the firm of RIDDELL & RAE. He will uplift the out'
            standing Debts, and will pay the Liabilities of the dissolved
            Firm.
            ANDREW RIDDELL,
            GEORGE GLADSTONE RAE,

            HENRY S. CARRUTHERS, Writer, Glasgow
            Witness.
            W. WILSON ADAM, Apprentice-at-lae, 62
            Bath Street, Glasgow, Witness.

            Glasgow Herald, Thursday, August 29, 1895; Issue 207
            -----------------

            RAE BROS., of 134, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, make a
            specialty of a changing box, which is cheap, effective, and
            handy, shown in the accompanying diagram

            Photographic News August 28, 1896 p.557
            -----------------

            A second Perth branch in New Street
            has been opened by Rae Bros. of St Vincent
            Street, Glasgow, They have now five estab-
            lishments in all, two in Glasgow, one in Paisley,
            and two in Perth.

            Practical and Junior Photographer Vol. 1 No. 1, August 1900, p.18
            -----------------

            MESSRS. RAE BROS of Glasgow, have opened another
            branch of their business at 38 Hamilton St, Greenock,

            The Premises have been fitted up in the most approved
            style, a special department being devoted to eye-testing.

            Photographic Dealer Jan 1904 p.4
            -----------------

            ANDREW RIDDELL, 139 W. George St, Glasgow, has
            issued a capital catalogue of 136 pages. It is very concisely
            arranged, and very fully covers the whole subject of photo-
            graphic apparatus and materials. The different sections are
            printed on different coloured papers, so that any of them can
            be easily turned to by one who is used to the catalogue, and
            under these different sections the arrangments is simple and
            good.

            The Photogram Vol. III No. 29 May 1896 p. 128
            -----------------

            George Gladstone Rae census entries

            1871 census

            Name: Robert Rae
            Age: 39
            Estimated birth year: abt 1832
            Relationship: Head
            Spouse's name : Sophia
            Gender: Male
            Where born: Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire
            Registration Number: 644/7
            Registration district: Milton
            Civil parish: Glasgow St George
            County: Lanarkshire
            Address: 6 Brace St
            Occupation: Quarryman
            ED: 48
            Household schedule number: 17
            Line: 25
            Roll: CSSCT1871_135
            Household Members: Name Age
            Robert Rae 39
            Sophia Rae 41
            James Rae 30
            Annie Rae 16
            John G Rae 14
            Jane H Rae 8
            Grace G Rae 2 (possibly a typo for George G.)

            1881 census

            Name: George Rae
            Age: 13
            Estimated birth year: abt 1868
            Relationship: Son
            Mother's Name: Sophia
            Gender: Male
            Where born: Sanquher, Dumfriesshire
            Registration Number: 622/1
            Registration district: Maryhill
            Civil parish: Maryhill
            County: Lanarkshire
            Address: 210 Saracen St
            Occupation: Scholar
            ED: 13
            Household schedule number: 23
            Line: 18
            Roll: cssct1881_200
            Household Members: Name Age
            Sophia Rae 51
            Annie Rae 26
            John Rae 24
            Jane Rae 18
            Robert Rae 15
            George Rae 13

            1891 census

            Name: George G Rae
            Age: 22
            Estimated birth year: abt 1869
            Relationship: Son
            Mother's Name: Sophia
            Gender: Male
            Where born: Sanquhar, Dumfries
            Registration Number: 622/1
            Registration district: Maryhill
            Civil parish: Barony
            County: Lanarkshire
            Address: 210 Saracen St
            Occupation: Chemist
            ED: 14
            Household schedule number: 172
            Line: 21
            Roll: CSSCT1891_220
            Household Members: Name Age
            Sophia Rae 61
            Annie Rae 36
            John G Rae 34
            Jane H Rae 28
            George G Rae 22

            1901 Census

            Name: George Rae
            Age: 31
            Estimated birth year: abt 1870
            Relationship: Head
            Spouse's name : Catherine
            Gender: Male
            Where born: Sanguhar, Dumfriesshire
            Registration Number: 560B
            Registration district: Cathcart Burgh
            Civil parish: Cathcart
            County: Lanarkshire
            Address: 10 Eskdale Street
            Occupation: Chsto Pealer & Optician
            ED: 9
            Household schedule number: 81
            Line: 7
            Roll: CSSCT1901_189
            Household Members: Name Age
            George Rae 31
            Catherine Rae 35
            Arthur Rae 1
            Cathie Ann Rae 2mos
            Annie A Sinclair 23

            Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia
            Moderator, Wood and Brass

            Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:02 PM

            Hello,

            I am looking for information relating to a camera maker from Glasgow named Riddell and Rae.
            I have been sent some photographs of an interesting satchel camera from around 1890 made by the said company.
            Any help will be much appreciated.

            Paul Cordes

            Database version: 6.15600
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
              John Gibson Rae was George Gladstone Rae's partner in Rae Bros.

              It appears he ran the Perth branch:

              1901 census

              Name: John G Rae
              Age: 44
              Estimated birth year: abt 1857
              Relationship: Head
              Spouse's name : Mary
              Gender: Male
              Where born: Sanquhar
              Registration Number: 394A
              Registration district: Scone
              Civil parish: Scone
              County: Perthshire
              Address: Queens Road
              Occupation: Photo Dealer
              ED: 1
              Household schedule number: 55
              Line: 9
              Roll: CSSCT1901_128
              Household Members: Name Age
              John G Rae 44
              Mary Rae 30

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
                Thanks for the help with the Riddell and Rae.
                I will keep you posted if I buy the camera, failing that I will supply some photographs.

                Paul