Re: Mystery K.Ltd Artex Camera

  • ericevans2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
      I have now had what must be the definitive reply to this query, from a member of the IDCC group, in the form of this link:
      http://tinyurl.com/y8gzjq8
      The link shows Artex is covered in a Kodak exhaustive catalogue of photographic equipment, but I am still not certain that Kodak actually made it, but just retailed it, as the list includes other makers, like Thornton-Pickard, for example; and we all know Kodak didn't make those.
      The Artex camera has a BLACK badge, with "K.Ltd, London". I have previously seen this badge with "KC No.3" on it; whoever it refers to was the only maker I have come across who used BLACK for badges. But who the heck was it?
      Is there anybody out there? Every time I access this site lately, I hear only the mournful moaning of the wind across the lone prairie, and the rustle of the tumbleweed.....?
      Eric.
    • grinandclick
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
        I have a very early wood & brass camera which is identified as being made by the Century Camera Co.. The Century Camera Co. was bought out by Kodak. (Both companies were located in Rochester N.Y.) It is very possible that the camera company that made your camera was bought out by Kodak also. You might try asking the Smithsonian Museum if it has any info or can possibly direct you to a source that would?

        Good luck, grinandclick

        --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "ericevans2000" <ericevans@...> wrote:

        > I have now had what must be the definitive reply to this query, from a member of the IDCC group, in the form of this link:
        > http://tinyurl.com/y8gzjq8
        > The link shows Artex is covered in a Kodak exhaustive catalogue of photographic equipment, but I am still not certain that Kodak actually made it, but just retailed it, as the list includes other makers, like Thornton-Pickard, for example; and we all know Kodak didn't make those.
        > The Artex camera has a BLACK badge, with "K.Ltd, London". I have previously seen this badge with "KC No.3" on it; whoever it refers to was the only maker I have come across who used BLACK for badges. But who the heck was it?
        > Is there anybody out there? Every time I access this site lately, I hear only the mournful moaning of the wind across the lone prairie, and the rustle of the tumbleweed.....?
        > Eric.

      • Michael Pritchard
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
          Message
          Your surmise that Kodak didn't make this is almost certainly correct.

          1904 was just at the point when Kodak had established its own wholesaling business in Britain much to the chagrin of the rest of the photographic trade. To facilitate this Kodak had bought Hurmans Ltd in early 1903 and used this firm as a front for some of its wholesaling and buying activities. Hurmans had bought Marlow Brothers of Birmingham. I would guess that the camera was either made for Kodak or was bought in for re-sale perhaps via Hurmans.

          I couldn't find the trade name from a quick look in various trade catalogues but someone else may have more success, or it may simply be a name Kodak used to re-brand a camera made for them...

          Regards

          Michael Pritchard
          www.mpritchard.com
          http://britishphotohistory.ning.com/

          I have now had what must be the definitive reply to this query, from a member of the IDCC group, in the form of this link:
          http://tinyurl. com/y8gzjq8
          The link shows Artex is covered in a Kodak exhaustive catalogue of photographic equipment, but I am still not certain that Kodak actually made it, but just retailed it, as the list includes other makers, like Thornton-Pickard, for example; and we all know Kodak didn't make those.
          The Artex camera has a BLACK badge, with "K.Ltd, London". I have previously seen this badge with "KC No.3" on it; whoever it refers to was the only maker I have come across who used BLACK for badges. But who the heck was it?
          Is there anybody out there? Every time I access this site lately, I hear only the mournful moaning of the wind across the lone prairie, and the rustle of the tumbleweed.. ...?

          http://www.netintelligence.com/email

        • ericevans2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
            Michael and "grin and click",
            Thanks for taking the trouble, it is appreciated. The prairie is not quite so lonely, now.........
            --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Pritchard" <michael@...> wrote:

            > Your surmise that Kodak didn't make this is almost certainly correct.
            >
            > 1904 was just at the point when Kodak had established its own wholesaling
            > business in Britain much to the chagrin of the rest of the photographic
            > trade. To facilitate this Kodak had bought Hurmans Ltd in early 1903 and
            > used this firm as a front for some of its wholesaling and buying activities.
            > Hurmans had bought Marlow Brothers of Birmingham. I would guess that the
            > camera was either made for Kodak or was bought in for re-sale perhaps via
            > Hurmans.
            >
            > I couldn't find the trade name from a quick look in various trade catalogues
            > but someone else may have more success, or it may simply be a name Kodak
            > used to re-brand a camera made for them...
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Michael Pritchard
            > www.mpritchard.com
            > http://britishphotohistory.ning.com/

          • Scott B
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
              Eric,

              It was good to learn about that book.  It was new to me.  Searching through the book on-line I found a few items I haven't been able to locate in other references.  I bought a good used copy of the book through Amazon.

              Thanks!
              Scott

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2010
                Message