Underwood Makers Badges

  • David Purcell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2009
      Hi All!

      I have posted four pictures in my album (Cameras4fun Photo Album) on the site showing four different makers badges from Underwood cameras. I am wondering if anyone has any information that might help identify dates when these different styles of badges were in use?

      The round badge is taken from a Tourograph camera in my collection; I also have an early 1/4 plate Instanto that has an identical round badge. I think this might be the first pattern that Underwood adopted on their cameras; note the lack of any reference to being "patentee".

      The next three styles are all taken from cameras in Eric Evan's collection (www.woodandbrass.co.uk) and I am grateful to Eric for allowing me to use the photos for this thread.

      The last picture in the sequence shows the rectangular form of badge (Patentees & Manufacturers), which until now is the only one I had come across and in this case comes from an Instanto. This pattern seems to be consistent with that shown in much of their later advertising (from 1895 onwards, but maybe earlier too).

      The oval pattern is unusual and is taken from an early tailboard camera in Eric's collection.

      Eric also has an Underwood 'Convention' camera that has a rectangular badge, but the typeface used is slightly different to the other rectangular example.

      Both this rectangular badge and the oval example show the company name as "E & T. Underwood" while on the other rectangular example it has become "E. & T. Underwood".

      Does anyone have any information that might shed any light on the date sequence of these badges? My own feeling is that the sequence goes round -> oval -> rectangular.

      David