Re: Casket set

  • eric evans
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2009
      Hi Fred,
      I don't know if this is any help or not, but the only casket set I have is a Busch Satz 2. I have put pictures and what I hope are readable tables in my album, top left; it is marked "English Sliding Box Camera" until some kind soul on this list puts me out of my misery and tells me how to change the album title; until then, I hope these pictures are of some use, maybe.
      Eric.

      --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, Fred /Maren Friedman <marenfred@...> wrote:

      > I had sent pix of the casket set last Friday, but upon checking, I do
      > not see the photo on our Yahoo site. So, I am resending and hope this
      > gets through. Any thoughts and information would be appreciated. As
      > per previous emails, I am a novice in this matter and want to know how
      > to try and use these lenses. What does one do to check focal lengths
      > of the various back and front combinations and any thoughts on the
      > nationality and/or maker.
      > Many thanks,
      > Fred

    • eric evans
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2009
        Hi Fred,
        I don't know if this is any help or not, but the only casket set I have is a Busch Satz 2. I have put pictures and what I hope are readable tables in my album, top left; it is marked "English Sliding Box Camera" until some kind soul on this list puts me out of my misery and tells me how to change the album title; until then, I hope these pictures are of some use, maybe.
        Eric.

        --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, Fred /Maren Friedman <marenfred@...> wrote:

        > I had sent pix of the casket set last Friday, but upon checking, I do
        > not see the photo on our Yahoo site. So, I am resending and hope this
        > gets through. Any thoughts and information would be appreciated. As
        > per previous emails, I am a novice in this matter and want to know how
        > to try and use these lenses. What does one do to check focal lengths
        > of the various back and front combinations and any thoughts on the
        > nationality and/or maker.
        > Many thanks,
        > Fred

      • eric evans
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20, 2009
          OOPS! Sorry, me showing off my computer skills again.
          Eric.

          --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "eric evans" <ericevans@...> wrote:

          > Hi Fred,
          > I don't know if this is any help or not, but the only casket set I have is a Busch Satz 2. I have put pictures and what I hope are readable tables in my album, top left; it is marked "English Sliding Box Camera" until some kind soul on this list puts me out of my misery and tells me how to change the album title; until then, I hope these pictures are of some use, maybe.
          > Eric.
          >

          > --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, Fred /Maren Friedman <marenfred@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I had sent pix of the casket set last Friday, but upon checking, I do
          > > not see the photo on our Yahoo site. So, I am resending and hope this
          > > gets through. Any thoughts and information would be appreciated. As
          > > per previous emails, I am a novice in this matter and want to know how
          > > to try and use these lenses. What does one do to check focal lengths
          > > of the various back and front combinations and any thoughts on the
          > > nationality and/or maker.
          > > Many thanks,
          > > Fred

        • Fred /Maren Friedman
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20, 2009
            Eric, thank you so much for your help. I will try to see what I can do when I mount the lens on a camera.
            Meanwhile, I seem to be showing off my computer "skills" by not being able to send the Group the picture of the casket set which I had attached to my email.
            Cheers,
            Fred
            On Apr 20, 2009, at 12:05 PM, eric evans wrote:

            OOPS! Sorry, me showing off my computer skills again.
            Eric.

            --- In woodandbrass@ yahoogroups. com, "eric evans" <ericevans@. ..> wrote:

            > Hi Fred,
            > I don't know if this is any help or not, but the only casket set I have is a Busch Satz 2. I have put pictures and what I hope are readable tables in my album, top left; it is marked "English Sliding Box Camera" until some kind soul on this list puts me out of my misery and tells me how to change the album title; until then, I hope these pictures are of some use, maybe.
            > Eric.
            >

            > --- In woodandbrass@ yahoogroups. com, Fred /Maren Friedman <marenfred@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I had sent pix of the casket set last Friday, but upon checking, I do
            > > not see the photo on our Yahoo site. So, I am resending and hope this
            > > gets through. Any thoughts and information would be appreciated. As
            > > per previous emails, I am a novice in this matter and want to know how
            > > to try and use these lenses. What does one do to check focal lengths
            > > of the various back and front combinations and any thoughts on the
            > > nationality and/or maker.
            > > Many thanks,
            > > Fred

            =
          • Ole Tjugen
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20, 2009
              I'll get home tonight.

              So sometime in the next few days I'll find my casket set tables and put them
              up on the www.casket-set.com site.

              These 15/25/35/45/... Aplanat sets tend to be German. The difficulty is that
              just about everyone made them, and it seems there were several makers who
              provided unmarked sets to others - cameramakers, instrument makers, cabinet
              makers and so on - for relabelling. The majority of these were never
              relabelled, except possibly on the box. My Chr. Fr. Winter Sohn set is a
              classic example of this. It may have been made by Rodenstock; I bought it
              with a 13x18cm "Reisekamera" marked with the same Winter name. Winter never
              made optics.

              Anyway I have found at least five slightly different cell threads in these
              sets, so that a cell from one set will generally not fit in a barrel from
              another. I don't know if each maker used their own threads - or even if each
              maker used whatever thread they just felt like using and everything is in
              fact incompatible! The only sign of compatibility I have ever found in
              German casket sets is that a flange I happened to have already (without
              attached lens; it sits on a front plate for a Thornton-Pickard T&I shutter)
              miraculously fit the Winter barrel.

              Casket sets are both interesting and infuriating. Just like German plate
              cameras there are hundreds of varieties with very little difference and lots
              of different makers who all made (or had made) very similar things over a
              very long period of time, and the vast majority left no records.

              English plate cameras would be so much easier...

              --
              Ole Tjugen

              > I don't know if this is any help or not, but the only casket set I have is
              a Busch Satz 2. I have put pictures and what I hope are readable tables in
              my album, top left; it is marked "English Sliding Box Camera" until some
              kind soul on this list puts me out of my misery and tells me how to change
              the album title; until then, I hope these pictures are of some use, maybe.
              > Eric.
              >
              > --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, Fred /Maren Friedman <marenfred@...>
              wrote:

              > > I had sent pix of the casket set last Friday, but upon checking, I do
              > > not see the photo on our Yahoo site. So, I am resending and hope this
              > > gets through. Any thoughts and information would be appreciated. As
              > > per previous emails, I am a novice in this matter and want to know how
              > > to try and use these lenses. What does one do to check focal lengths
              > > of the various back and front combinations and any thoughts on the
              > > nationality and/or maker.
              > > Many thanks,
              > > Fred

              ------- End of Original Message -------
            • eric evans
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 21, 2009
                Hi Ole,
                Don't get us started on the subject of lens mounts or flanges. Milan Zahorcak does quite a nice little diatribe on that; you there Milan?
                Ole, it must be nice for you to get back home; there's no way I would have your job. Too long away from cameras.....

                --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "Ole Tjugen" <ole@...> wrote:

                > I'll get home tonight.
                >
                > So sometime in the next few days I'll find my casket set tables and put them
                > up on the www.casket-set.com site.
                >
                > These 15/25/35/45/... Aplanat sets tend to be German. The difficulty is that
                > just about everyone made them, and it seems there were several makers who
                > provided unmarked sets to others - cameramakers, instrument makers, cabinet
                > makers and so on - for relabelling. The majority of these were never
                > relabelled, except possibly on the box. My Chr. Fr. Winter Sohn set is a
                > classic example of this. It may have been made by Rodenstock; I bought it
                > with a 13x18cm "Reisekamera" marked with the same Winter name. Winter never
                > made optics.
                >
                > Anyway I have found at least five slightly different cell threads in these
                > sets, so that a cell from one set will generally not fit in a barrel from
                > another. I don't know if each maker used their own threads - or even if each
                > maker used whatever thread they just felt like using and everything is in
                > fact incompatible! The only sign of compatibility I have ever found in
                > German casket sets is that a flange I happened to have already (without
                > attached lens; it sits on a front plate for a Thornton-Pickard T&I shutter)
                > miraculously fit the Winter barrel.
                >
                > Casket sets are both interesting and infuriating. Just like German plate
                > cameras there are hundreds of varieties with very little difference and lots
                > of different makers who all made (or had made) very similar things over a
                > very long period of time, and the vast majority left no records.
                >
                > English plate cameras would be so much easier...
                >
                > --
                > Ole Tjugen

              • Milan Zahorcak
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 21, 2009
                  Message
                  Not a diatribe, just a statement of the obvious.

                  Lens flanges only come in three forms:  too big, too small, and wrong pitch.

                  That's all you need to know, and are now all experts.

                  mz

                  Don't get us started on the subject of lens mounts or flanges. Milan Zahorcak does quite a nice little diatribe on that; you there Milan?
                  Ole, it must be nice for you to get back home; there's no way I would have your job. Too long away from cameras.....

                  --- In woodandbrass@ yahoogroups. com, "Ole Tjugen" <ole@...> wrote:

                  > I'll get home tonight.
                  >
                  > So sometime in the next few days I'll find my casket set tables and put them
                  > up on the www.casket-set. com site.
                  >
                  > These 15/25/35/45/ ... Aplanat sets tend to be German. The difficulty is that
                  > just about everyone made them, and it seems there were several makers who
                  > provided unmarked sets to others - cameramakers, instrument makers, cabinet
                  > makers and so on - for relabelling. The majority of these were never
                  > relabelled, except possibly on the box. My Chr. Fr. Winter Sohn set is a
                  > classic example of this. It may have been made by Rodenstock; I bought it
                  > with a 13x18cm "Reisekamera" marked with the same Winter name. Winter never
                  > made optics.
                  >
                  > Anyway I have found at least five slightly different cell threads in these
                  > sets, so that a cell from one set will generally not fit in a barrel from
                  > another. I don't know if each maker used their own threads - or even if each
                  > maker used whatever thread they just felt like using and everything is in
                  > fact incompatible! The only sign of compatibility I have ever found in
                  > German casket sets is that a flange I happened to have already (without
                  > attached lens; it sits on a front plate for a Thornton-Pickard T&I shutter)
                  > miraculously fit the Winter barrel.
                  >
                  > Casket sets are both interesting and infuriating. Just like German plate
                  > cameras there are hundreds of varieties with very little difference and lots
                  > of different makers who all made (or had made) very similar things over a
                  > very long period of time, and the vast majority left no records.
                  >
                  > English plate cameras would be so much easier...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Ole Tjugen

                • Fred /Maren Friedman

                    =