Folding camera by London Stereoscopic Co., 1895c.

  • eric evans
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
      I found this at an auction and wisely or foolishly, I bought it.
      Pictures in my album, under head: English sliding box camera, (which I
      don't know how to alter, though it is no longer applicable).Before I
      bought this, I had the pleasure of working out what it was, why
      shouldn't you? I have never seen anything remotely resembling it.
      Whether anybody guesses it or not, I'll post pics of it being unfolded,
      until everyone quits through sheer boredom.....
      Eric.
    • JCR Cameras
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008

        Hi Eric,

        Does your message need a link to your site? I cannot see one.

        Best Wishes,

        John

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
          Hello John,
          I am totally computer illiterate to the extent that I
          don't know what you mean. If you are looking for my pictures, they
          are in the "Photos" bit, on the left of this column. If you mean my
          web site, it is at www.woodandbrass.co.uk, but the particular
          pictures I'm referring to aren't on there yet, I have to get a web
          designer to do that for me. Pathetic, I know, but that's how I am.
          Eric.

          --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "JCR Cameras" <jcr_cameras@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Eric,
          >
          > Does your message need a link to your site? I cannot see one.
          >
          > Best Wishes,
          >
          > John

          12/1/2008
          > 7:59 PM

        • Scott B
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
            More pics please!!...

            wrote:

            > Hi Eric,
            >
            > Does your message need a link to your site? I cannot see one.
            >
            > Best Wishes,
            >
            > John

            12/1/2008
            > 7:59 PM

          • eric evans
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
              Hi David,
              If I've got it right, there should now be some more
              pictures in my album in the "Photos" section on the left of this
              column.
              Eric.

              --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, Scott B
              <silver_recollection@...> wrote:

              > More pics please!!...

              Co., 1895c.
              > To: woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 6:29 PM
              >

              > Hello John,
              >
              > I am totally computer illiterate to the extent that I
              >
              > don't know what you mean. If you are looking for my pictures, they
              >
              > are in the "Photos" bit, on the left of this column. If you mean my
              >
              > web site, it is at www.woodandbrass. co.uk, but the particular
              >
              > pictures I'm referring to aren't on there yet, I have to get a web
              >
              > designer to do that for me. Pathetic, I know, but that's how I am.
              >
              > Eric.
              >

              > --- In woodandbrass@ yahoogroups. com, "JCR Cameras"
              <jcr_cameras@ ...>

              > wrote:
              >

              > > Hi Eric,
              >

              > > Does your message need a link to your site? I cannot see one.
              >

              > > Best Wishes,
              >

              > > John
              >

              > > From: woodandbrass@ yahoogroups. com

            • eric evans
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
                Scott and group,
                Sorry, I thought I was replying to David Silver, from your
                address. I have now put up enough pictures, I believe, to give
                anybody interested as much information about the camera as I had when
                I bought it. So, I know what I think it is, what do the rest of us
                think it is? Pics. in "Photos" section on left.
                Regards,
                Eric. (Still struggling to come to terms with this computer lark).

                --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "eric evans" <ericevans@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi David,
                > If I've got it right, there should now be some more
                > pictures in my album in the "Photos" section on the left of this
                > column.
                > Eric.
                >

                > --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, Scott B
                > <silver_recollection@> wrote:
                > >
                > > More pics please!!...

              • Scott B
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Eric,

                  I like it!  What an unusual find.  So is it a copy camera?

                  best wishes,
                  Scott

                  wrote:

                  > Hi David,
                  > If I've got it right, there should now be some more
                  > pictures in my album in the "Photos" section on the left of this
                  > column.
                  > Eric.
                  >

                  > --- In woodandbrass@ yahoogroups. com, Scott B
                  > <silver_recollectio n@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > More pics please!!...

                • eric evans
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Scott,
                    Yes, a copy camera is what I make it to be. On the front of
                    the small bellows attachment is a negative carrier for quarter plate.
                    At the back is a ground glass screen and slide grooves for whole
                    plate dark slides. In between is the lens which I believe to be
                    original, as it is engraved with London Stereoscopic Co. to match the
                    ivorine label on the camera. Oddly, this takes waterhouse stops,
                    which are present, but must have made it a pig to use, deep inside
                    those little bellows. Interestingly, the entire small bellows
                    attachment is removable, leaving the lens flange on the body of the
                    big camera, and thus presumably allowing the possibility of using the
                    whole plate camera as a "fixed-box type", especially if a rack and
                    pinion lens were available. All that beautiful mahogany and brass and
                    dovetailed joints, just to copy negatives. They don't make 'em like
                    that any more. One thing that does puzzle me though, is why they made
                    it to fold up? Surely a simple box construction would have sufficed?
                    And heaven help anybody who had to carry it out into the field, I
                    reckon it was purely a studio camera? So why folding?
                    Well, lads, I found it interesting, anyway......oh and it cost me
                    £176 GB in total including auction fees.

                    <silver_recollection@...> wrote:

                    > Eric,
                    >
                    > I like it!  What an unusual find.  So is it a copy camera?
                    >
                    > best wishes,
                    > Scott

                  • Scott B
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Eric,

                      You saved me from the discourtesy of asking what it sold for.  Should you ever suffer buyer's remorse let me know.  I think it's cool.  I think the designer knew someday workmanship like this would be collected.  Taking this into account and to ease marital tension that could cause a collector to dispose of the camera, it was made to be collapsible, thus easy to store.  Quite forward thinking.

                      enjoy,

                      <silver_recollectio n@...> wrote:

                      > Eric,
                      >
                      > I like it!  What an unusual find.  So is it a copy camera?
                      >
                      > best wishes,
                      > Scott

                    • marenfred
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
                        So Eric,
                        Did it come with an eveready case?
                        Fred
                        From:"eric evans" <ericevans@...>
                        Date:December 2, 2008 5:33:59 PM EST
                        To:woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com
                        o Eric,

                        wrote:

                        > Hi David,
                        > If I've got it right, there should now be some more
                        > pictures in my album in the "Photos" section on the left of this
                        > column.
                        > Eric.
                        >

                        > --- In woodandbrass@ yahoogroups. com, Scott B
                        > <silver_recollectio n@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > More pics please!!...

                      • eric evans
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Hi Fred,
                          It came with an eveready nutcase.........me!