Henry Clay cameras

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hello all

      Yes, this list is still alive.

      Whilst I personally collect British gear I would think this a nice
      catalogue for the HC collectors on the list as their cameras have been
      discussed here a number of times before before. Sorry about the long
      address:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270294258166&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=220302773092&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

      Cheers!

      Marcel
      --
      Brisbane, Australia

      Database version: 5.11030
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 20, 2012
        Hi all

        2 new members have joined the group in the last week. Welcome Harry and
        Charles.

        Members are reminded of the home page of this Yahoo group:

        and the resources there, such as:

        uploaded photos:

        uploaded files:

        and a good list of links:

        Please feel free to contribute to any of these.

        Cheers!

        Marcel -- Marcel Safier (Photographic Historian and Collector) PO Box
        239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia
        List owner and moderator
        Wood and Brass http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woodandbrass/

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com/
        =======
      • F West
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 26, 2013

          Somebody posted this on the Zeiss Ikon forum yesterday:

          Surfing eBay for Zeiss lenses this afternoon, what I do several times a week, and spotted these:

          A CZJ Sphaerogon 19mm f8, an 1889 CZJ Anastigmat with what's gotta be the lowest serial number I've ever seen (#36!), and a super rare 1912 Goerz Quarz-Anastigmat for UV photography, all offered by the same seller!  What the...!  And the seller claims he's going to be listing lots more in the coming weeks, supposedly all from the original CZJ lens collection.  Is this for real?  Who is this guy?  Take a look and tell me if I'm dreaming:

          http://www.ebay.com/itm/251293707476

          http://www.ebay.com/itm/251294847256

          http://www.ebay.com/itm/251294195138

          This excitable fellow went on to surmise whether the Sphaerogon would go for for "something like $10,000" and that's exactly what it did last night.  But of more interest to the wood and brass collectors here is the second item, the CZJ Anastigmat Weitwinkel from 1889.  That must certainly be the lowest Zeiss serial number anybody has ever found, and the lens is spectacular no matter when it was made.  The seller , the "guy", I suppose most of you know is David Silver and he was talking many months ago about selling off his large selection of pieces from the famous Carl Zeiss Jena lens collection.  I suppose he's finally getting around to it.  The funny thing here, I could swear he showed us a similar Anastigmat Weitwinkel last year, also ridiculously early, but a different number?  He notes in these eBay listings that this is just the beginning and there is much more coming quickly in the coming month.  If nothing else, it should be exciting to see what he offers in the way of 19th century brass, and his pictures are usually excellent and "capture" worthy.  The Quarz Anastigmat is baffling to me.  It has "mirror coating" inside?  I have no clue.  How does it work?  Any members ever experienced such a rare sort of lens?  Fascinating.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 22, 2013
              Hello, that excitable fellow from several weeks ago popped up in the Zeiss Ikon forum again this morning and wanted to give a heads-up regarding a couple more especially rare Carl Zeiss Jena lenses David Silver had listed last night on eBay.  See the message below.  Another original Anastigmat Weitwinkel from their raw beginnings, this time with the incredibly low serial number 20, and what I think might be of extreme interest to the members here, a Triplet Apochromat, apparently the very first lens Zeiss devised in 1888, and that pre-dates their anastigmats.  I'm thinking that a few years ago, the person "...Silver writes in his eBay ad like he knows who has..." the only other surviving Triplet Apochromat was in this wood and brass forum.  Am I correct?  Or was it the IDCC?  Interesting questions posted below; whether people are paying attention and attempting to capture the pics and make a record of the phenomenal lenses David has been liquidating, or whether David himself is making his own record to share with us later.  Seems David has gone completely into hiding while catching up with his financial and estate obligations.  He's ignored the two e-mails I sent him the past month, and another collector closer to him told me his messages were ignored as well.  Puzzling.  He did attend the most recent Photo Fair in June, but he sat at a single table with a few wood and brass pieces on display and spent the day talking to people.  No selling or buying.  I was in a rush and never got a word in with him because he was constantly engaged with others.  Has anybody else been in communication with him?  He's certainly conspicuous by his absence.  Read below what was posted in the Zeiss Ikon forum and say what you think about the questions, or what you think about the remarkable pair of lenses David has listed this week.  I wonder how many of these irreplaceable historical artifacts are flying to China?  Good day, Frank West

              This Dave Silver guy of whom so many of you spoke so highly when we noted his eBay auction for the Sphaerogon last month, he continues to sell treasures on eBay, and two popped up last night that are jaw-droppingly amazing.  I thought that Weitwinkel Anastigmat with the serial #36 he offered last month was the earliest CZJ lens we'd ever see, but now he put up #20 and it's a beauty:

                http://www.ebay.com/itm/251308477608

              Then he followed that with the only original CZJ Triplet Apochromat ever offered for sale in the open market:

                http://www.ebay.com/itm/310710386568

              Really!  According to the Lens Collector's Vade Mecum, only one other Triplet Apochromat has ever been seen, and it was found by accident a few years ago.  Now this was supposed to be the very first photographic lens formula developed and possibly marketed by Zeiss, from their first photographic optical patent, yet this is only the second example ever seen in the modern era?  The Vade Mecum claims #44 was the other one found, and Silver writes in his eBay ad like he knows who has it.  Is that a ZICG member perhaps?  If so, I think we'd all like to see some pics of it.  A lens that rare from the very origins of CZJ's photographic endeavors, I can't imagine nobody has published some pics.  I mean, if it was mine, I'd be sharing the visuals and info, and make sure it was in the books.

              And that makes me wonder, have others been following these sales, and are some of the ZICG people capturing images of the rare pieces that have been selling?  I fear a lot of this is getting sold to collectors in China, and we'll never get a second chance to see them in our lifetime.  I've tried, but I have a lousy computer set-up and I can't do a very good job of capturing image files, so has anybody else tried?  How about asking Silver if he's keeping some sort of pic archive?  I understand he's selling all the lenses out of necessity, but is he keeping a good record of them for the rest of us?  Is anybody else keeping a darn record?  I'm keeping a list and some of those poor quality screen saves for a computer file of my own, but I'm hardly the historian who could make anything of all of it.

              Since I'm primarily a collector and user of classic Contax, I was a bidder on the original Biogon 35mm prototype Silver sold last week.  I couldn't justify chasing any higher than $500, it went way higher than that, and I'm only hoping it was a ZICG member who walked away with it.  He had two other interesting Biogon variants as well, and I was an underbidder on the weird one with Leica screw mount.  I'm hoping he'll pull out some more pieces that relate to Contax.

              Carl

            • David Silver
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 17, 2013
                Hi everyone,

                I am in need of the following:

                1) piece of ground glass exactly 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches

                2) finished wood lens board 3 7/8 x 3 7/8 inches

                3) any 1890's-1900's brass shutter and lens, for 4 x 5 format, that is
                specifically branded either "Graphic" or "Folmer & Schwing"

                4) a gutted No. 4 (Series C or D) Eastman Plate Camera that still has its
                reflex viewfinder on the bed and still has both complete intact bed
                struts; the rest of the camera can be garbage because I'm only going to
                cannibalize those three parts

                5) brass lens mounting flange for 45-46mm thread (I think it's 45.5mm, but
                you know how "sloppy" these mounts can be)

                6) the 4 x 5 and/or 5 x 7 back for an Ansco Universal View Camera (it's
                about 8 5/8 by 8 5/8 inches, gray, with the metal reinforced corners) and
                also the 5 1/4 x 5 1/4 inch gray lens board, preferably with no or only a
                small lens hole

                Contact me directly at silver@... with information if you have any of
                these bits, and I'll get right back to you.

                Many thanks,

                David Silver
              • voncabbage
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 18, 2013
                  i don't know if any of you guys follow the european camera auctions, but i received my breker catalog today (http://www.breker.com/english/index.htm) and there is (are?) a BOATLOAD of W&B there. i can bet they ain't cheap, but it might be worth a peek.  if you want to wait a couple of weeks, the catalogue will be posted online.  regards