Re: [woodandbrass] Entering the fray ...

  • Rob McElroy
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
      Rob McElroy here, 53 years old, from Buffalo, NY. I am currently a
      reformed collector, having successfully re-trained myself NOT to be
      tempted by all things photographic. After 20+ years of actively
      collecting anything and everything related to the history of
      photography (cameras, lenses, books, periodicals, ephemera, and
      images), and because the volume of my acquired items was literally
      consuming me, I have now (for the past three years) entered a new self-
      imposed phase in my life -- aptly called "acquisition remission."

      Having been a professional photographer for 28 years, and a
      photography dealer (primarily used cameras and images) for the past
      10+ years, I was constantly being tempted with new and interesting
      photographic items, and of course I bought them. I have been selling
      off much of the volume so that I can once again park my car in my 3000
      sq. ft. garage, which is totally filled with photographic "stuff." My
      history of photography camera-display contains cameras and ephemera
      that interest me either visually or technologically (monetary value
      doesn't matter). If a camera tells a story, has a history, or can be
      related to specific images, ephemera, or a photographer, then I will
      display it. I no longer care about acquiring multiple variations of
      the same camera, just to have them.

      Lenses, especially fast, exotic, state-of-the-art lenses, is also a
      collecting love of mine, and because I am a practicing contemporary
      daguerreotypist, I use most of them. I also love the Pictorialist era
      and have many of the soft-focus lenses of the early 1900's. I co-
      authored a book on the Photo-Pictorialists of Buffalo, and one on the
      history of photography at Niagara Falls.

      The history of this magical process called photography is my main area
      of interest now, and the things I do still look for are photographic
      books, periodicals, and trade catalogs to add to my library, which is
      my main pride and joy. I also collect process-identified images for
      my photo conservation study-collection. My photo conservation
      research lab is constantly being enhanced by period-items which help
      to tell the story of how various images were created.

      Cheers,
      Rob McElroy
      Buffalo, NY
    • alaskanaking
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 7, 2008
        I am an f16 riddle, wrapped in a Voigtländer mystery, inside a
        tailboard enigma.

        Dick Wood, Juneau Alaska
      • akeman21
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 8, 2008
          Hi,

          Ake Borgstrom, 51 years young, from Stockholm Sweden.
          Collecting pre 1900 cameras, and showing them off at my website:
          http://www.photographica.nu
        • eric evans
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 9, 2008
            --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "David Purcell"
            <david.purcell@...> wrote:

            > Hi all!
            >
            > I'm new to this group, though known to some of you through either
            the
            > IDCC list, PCCGB or eBay.
            >
            > I have had a casual interest in cameras for many years, but started
            > collecting seriously about 7 years ago. My collecting interests
            are
            > quite broad, with the aim of building a collection that illustrates
            > the development of cameras up to about the mid-1930s or so, but
            > concentrating on rollfilm and plate cameras. Consequently about a
            > quarter of my collection qualifies as wood and brass.
            >
            > While my 'theme' is quite broad my collecting habits are somewhat
            > biased to Anglo-American manufacturers. Inevitably I have more
            > Kodaks than anything else, although that balance is changing over
            > time. I do love high-quality makers such as Watson, Adams and
            Newman
            > & Guardia.
            >
            > And at the age of 50 maybe I qualify as one of the "younger"
            members
            > of our collecting fraternity? I can't promise to be a frequent
            > contributor, not least because of the need to juggle family and
            work
            > commitments around my hobby.
            >
            > Regards to all from the south coast of England,
            >
            > David Purcell

            Hello David,
            Eric Evans here, we have "met" before. I am 78 years old,
            feeling about 16 today, because I just acquired an 1864 wet plate
            sliding box camera, hopefully a Dallmeyer because it has a Dallmeyer
            lens, but all here will know that lenses alone are not conclusive
            identification. But it's a Dallmeyer until somebody proves to me that
            it isn't. And with cameras that rare, nobody cares who made them,
            anyway.
            I collect wood and brass cameras by British makers, between 1839
            and 1914; the impossible dream is to get one example of every British
            maker in that period; up to now 150+ cameras by 80+ different makers.
            See my website at:www.woodandbrass.co.uk.
            Took my first photographs on my dad's John Bull Ensign when I was
            seven, been at it ever since, including a fifteen years spell as a
            photo-journalist. Loved Nikon film cameras, can't afford a Nikon
            digital AND support a W&B collection; now have a digital Olympus
            because I could afford a second hand one. Shan't buy another in my
            lifetime, I doubt.
            Greetings to all from Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
          • Ralph & Bobbi London
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 9, 2008
              I collect mainly early wood and brass cameras from the 1840s to the
              early 1900s plus relevant catalogs and ads. My collection, which
              started in 1987, is now DOWN to about 260 cameras. A retired computer
              scientist aged 72, I contribute frequently to photohistory
              publications. For many years I edited the "Cascade Panorama" for the
              Cascade Photographic Historical Society. A related sidelight is my
              large topical collection of postage stamps on cameras and photography.
              For all my photography -- of people, scenery and cameras, I use a
              simple digital camera that fits in my pocket.

              My wife Bobbi and I have created a display at each Puget Sound
              Photographic Collectors Society annual show since 1993 when displays
              began. She has an extensive collection of stanhopes and often writes
              about them. When not traveling, we live in Portland, Oregon.

              Ralph
            • mattri@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                Hello everybody,
                Matt Isenburg here,
                I feel obliged to belong to any group that has the
                words wood and brass in the title. My camera
                collection is wood and brass. It probably was not
                the best of investments when it came to appreciation,
                but the other benefits have more than compensated
                for the less than sterling performance in the resale
                market. I believe I bought my first wet-plate camera
                in 1970 and my first daguerreian camera two or
                three years later. My collection of cameras numbers
                less than 100 accompanied by about three times as
                many early tools and equipment to accompany and
                supplement the cameras themselves.

                A few years ago I wrote an article,
                Reflections on the Formation of a Collection.
                Here is a paragraph from that article.

                Through the existence of the collection, I have been
                involved with many interesting people. Through it
                I even met my wife Elizabeth. I was nominated to
                and accepted as a member of the American
                Antiquarian Society. I was voted a Fellow of the
                American Photo Historical Society, a Paul Harris
                Rotarian and an honorary Kentucky Colonel.
                The collection has resided in the same house in
                Hadlyme, CT for more than forty years. The top
                collectors in many different fields have visited me
                and graciously allowed me to visit them. I have
                met and spent considerable time with famous
                writers, artists, designers, photographers,
                historians, museum directors and curators,
                corporate CEOs and even the grandson of the
                last Emperor of Austria. (Why else would a
                Hapsburg grace my dinner table?) The common
                strain through all these encounters is collecting.
                Because of the social aspects of collecting, it
                would be near impossible for me to part with
                all or even a part of the collection at present,
                and though my priorities are shifting, I still thrill
                at the acquisition of an early  piece of equipment
                or a rare catalogue.

                Though I do not contribute much or often,
                I read every word written by the members,
                and it warms my heart to see thoughts,
                facts and opinions expressed by so many
                of my dear friends.
                Matthew R. Isenburg

                **************
              • Milan Zahorcak
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 11, 2008
                  Message
                  My, we are still a quiet and it would appear, a much smaller group . . . and it would seem, more mature.  With few exceptions, most of us qualify for the senior menu at Denny's.  And perhaps we can take a note from Sheri's and refer to each other as Honored Members . . . you know that HM Matt has an appealing ring to it.

                  So far, it would seem that 27 of the former W&B-1's 69 (digested & undigested) members have signed aboard, and that 14 of us have generously provided background info upon entering the fray.  Any idea what happened to the other 42?  Mortality rates aren't that high even for a mature group such as us.

                  And, thanks to all those who were willing to go public with their bio's, and perhaps the silent minority might wish to consider adding their afflictions . . . or interests . . . to our list.  It is nice to know who is listening and perhaps who to turn to for advice, and opinions.

                  I would hope that we evolve into a more active group.  Surely, all of us have interests and activities that the rest might find stimulating and thought-provoking.  And I would hope that the more mundane aspects of collecting life would be shared; research projects, frustrations, eBay (ever popular), nice finds, blown opportunities . . . the status of certain #6 Zentmayer lenses.  Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm.

                  Posts don't have to be anything earth-shaking, just routine postings of things that are going on.  For example, when does HM Ole find the time to shoot, or when does HM Ole find the time to work?  Where can we find examples of the HM's work, etc?  I, for one, have about 30 topics, almost all of them G&B oriented (Glass & Brass, my specialized subset) that I am dying to ask about in the vain hope that someone might have a lead, or an ad . . . or a #6 Zentmayer lens.

                  For example, the Watkin's Pinhole thread was fun . . . now, does anyone have a Planiscope set?  Has anyone figured out how the Wide Angle Planiscope is supposed to work?  I have a very nice WAP, but for the life of me, nothing I do gets me a wider angle of view.

                  I'd use a #6 Zentmayer lens if I had one . . . but until then, I have to make do.

                  mz

                  I feel obliged to belong to any group that has the
                  words wood and brass in the title. My camera
                  collection is wood and brass  . . .

                • JCR Cameras
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 11, 2008

                    Hi Everyone,

                    Following the request for more biographies, here goes!

                    My name is John Rushton and I live in South Yorkshire, which is in the North Midlands of England about fifteen miles east of Sheffield.

                    I started out in photography at the age of twelve with the inevitable Kodak Brownie 127, moving on through a ¼-plate Thornton Pickard Field Camera, an Agfa Silette, a MPP Microcord TLR, various Nikon 35mm SLRs, a Bronica S2a outfit, a Hasselblad outfit etc. I did my own D&P, including colour and Cibachrome printing. I now have Nikon digital cameras and rarely use film and when I do it is in medium format cameras.

                    I have been collecting cameras since 1974 when I borrowed GB£50 from our house’s chancellor (The Mrs) and went out and bought four old plate cameras which were advertised in the local paper. I sold one for £50, paid back the chancellor and kept the other three. I thought this was a brilliant modus operandi and so it continued for a few years, buying pretty well anything and everything that came my way, within the chancellor’s limits of course.

                    After about four years my tastes became more selective. I only wanted fine condition and rarer items. Joining the PCCGB made swapping and trading with fellow collectors at club meetings a great asset and so I was able to move on those items which no longer interested me, while financing purchases of better equipment.

                    I have not specialized on any particular branch of cameras but I do like fine condition wood and brass, particularly tropical cameras. All camera types have an attraction for me, the humble box camera being no exception. I also have a strong interest in early camera lenses and shutters. I find the combinable lens sets, like the Busch’s Vademecum, quite fascinating.

                    I do not buy many cameras these days. In retirement with reduced income and ever increasing cost of living one’s ability to buy the rarer items is very limited. Storage and display space is a serious issue in a conventional family home after thirty four years of collecting. However the interest remains undiminished and the Wood and Brass, and the IDCC forums are a great source of knowledge, providing excellent contact with likeminded collectors.

                    Best Wishes,

                    John

                  • marenfred@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
                      Hello all,
                      My name is Fred Friedman. I am just back from a small ship cruise to the Greek Islands with my lovely wife Maren and a 13 year old grandaughter. Hence, my delay in "entering the fray". I turned 77 on the cruise, so I am clearly one of the more ancient members of this august body.My legs presently feel 87!  We live in an apartment (flat to some of you) in Cliffside Park, New Jersey...just south of the George Washington Bridge, overlooking the Hudson River and the New York skyline.

                      I began photographing subjects through the microscope at age 14 with my Mother's then 30 year old box camera. For my high school graduation, I was presented with a used Exacta B. I became Photo Editor of my college paper (New York University) and shot the basketball and football games for publication using that Exacta B with a flashgun, of course. Given the poor viewing and shutter lag involved I am surprised, in retrospect, that I managed to shoot successfully. In the military I wrote and photographed for the Fort Benning, Georgia newspaper and magazine.

                      I have over time collected and then sold Colt and Remington cap and ball pistols, ancient chinese bronze mirrors, screw mount Leica. When I held my first early wood and brass camera some 15 or 20  years ago, I was smitten!
                      I love the fine workmanship on the pre-1900 British cameras and am partial to Hare and Meagher as well as some oddball examples of other makers. I also have a soft spot for "orphans of history", that is, unmarked cameras in small sizes. Since we live in apartment and have little space for display, I limit my collection to about 25 pieces. When I fall in love with a new acquisition, I sell a piece to make room. I am not a "squirrel it away in the cupboard" acquirerer.

                      I have written a number of articles that have been published in "Photographica World" and am a happy member of the PCCGB. I was a member of the now defunct American Photographic Historical Society. I fund my camera habit by buying and selling at camera shows and on ebay and use profit, if any, to upgrade my collection. My ability to do so is limited by the needs of 6 grandchildren, 3 of whom need or will need help with university tuition. Oh yes, we also like to eat well and travel.

                      Maren and I were fortunate enough to live in London and Paris (had to work there, darn it) in the early to mid 1960's. Oh, had I discovered wood and brass cameras then! We expect to revisit London again in February for the retrospective of Dora Gordine at Dorich House, Richmond University in Kingston. Dora was a rather well known sculptor whom we met and befriended when we lived in London. A very fine book on her life and work, by Jonathan Black, has just been published in the UK. If British art is of interest to any of you, the book is terrific.

                       Incidentally, I have more family in t he UK that in the USA. Cousins in Ombersley, London, and in other parts unknown. I was born in Germany and most of the family moved to the UK in the mid 1930's.
                      My latest acquisition is on the way and should arrive in a week or so. It is a 1/4 plate early Gandolfi with repeating back. I will post pix after it arrives for comment by anyone interested. The rarest camera I have held in my hands is a Stereo Reflex Camera made by the Reflex Camera Company of Yonkers, NY which I donated to Eastman House some years ago. It appears, so far as I know, to be the only such stereo body known. Anyone out there have another? I suspect Todd Gustavson of Eastman House would like to hear from you.

                      I've been fortunate to meet and or correspond with some of you and am grateful for your help and friendship. This is a delightful group with a wealth of knowledge and a willingness to share. Thank you.

                      Cheers,
                      Fred Friedman

[...]

                      I do not buy many cameras these days. In retirement with reduced income and ever increasing cost of living one9 9s ability to buy the rarer items is very limited. Storage and display space is a serious issue in a conventional family home after thirty four years of collecting. However the interest remains undiminished and the Wood and Brass, and the IDCC forums are a great source of knowledge, providing excellent contact with likeminded collectors.

                      Best Wishes,
                      John

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 16, 2008
                      • Milan Zahorcak
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 16, 2008
                          Message
                          Marcel,

                          So how many of those lenses do I need more than you?  Just send them all and I'll return any that I don't need.

                          Speaking of acquiring lenses . . . you knew that was coming, yes . . . I recently picked up a curious little lens that now has me puzzled.

                          Richard Morrison was an American optician who quietly got around and worked on some of the more interesting domestic designs ever produced by 3 or 4 different US companies, depending how you count.

                          Eventually he established his own company "R. Morrison" around 1870 and produced a number of interesting and confusing designs, largely in order to compete against the increasing popular RR/Aplanat and to get around there patents.

                          As far as I can tell, Morrison produced 3, possibly 4 designs, and is widely given credit for a design that I don't think ever went into production (or if it did, it was when he was working for NY Optical Works, but I haven't one of those yet), yet there is only one Morrison Optical Patent:  #126,979 dated May 21, 1872.

                          One of the many unfortunate things about Morrison lenses is that they are never? rarely? identified by name, on the lens . . . and then this came along:

                          On the left is his standard design for what he called the "the Wide Angle View" (meaning a landscape lens).  On the right, is a recent acquisition with "Landscape Lens" spelled out - but note that it is an "R. Morrison's" lens, and has neither a patent date, nor serial # . . . and look carefully, the engraving is crude at best.  Look at the sizes (especially the N) and alignment.

                          Now here are some curious issues.  On the cover of some of his catalogues, he mentions "Morrison's Landscape" lenses - but inside there is no mention of the word Landscape, and what is spelled out and illustrated are "R. Morrison, Wide Angle View" lenses.

                          So, what do we have here?  Is the Landscape lens a knockoff, a copy, home-made?  The optics inside are exactly the same as those found in the WAV to the left.  And the optics are complicated, and as far as I know - were never copied by anyone else.

                          It's one thing to copy a wood camera - another to fake a lens.

                          Any thoughts?  Other examples of fakes and copies?

                          mz

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 16, 2008
                              I have taken the liberty of posting a short message in the (most) relevant
                              subforum on APUG: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum127/52379-wood-brass-
                              collectors-mailing-list.html#post655417

                              Since I'm a moderator there I can assure you that the post has been approved
                              by the moderators. :)

                              Ole Tjugen

                              On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:55:48 +1000, Marcel Safier wrote
                              <snip>

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 16, 2008
                                Message

                                Dan,

                                I've never seen a Morrison copy or fake - but I suppose there is always a first time.  But where they got the optics is beyond me.

                                However, I am aware of some other copies, fakes and "imitations" - there were a number of off-brand "Imitation Dallmeyer" lenses that were advertised as such.  The absolute worst example of a "imitation Dallmeyer" is this one"

                                This purports to be a Dallmeyer 2A portrait lens.

                                Dallmeyer never made anything that looked like that (confirmed by Sean McKenna), there is no serial # etc., the optics are traditional Petzval, not the Dallmeyer variation, and it isn't even the Dallmeyer 2A size (with is much larger).  The engraving is in an odd location (but nicely done) and unlike anything Dallmeyer ever did.

                                More interesting is that it almost has to be an American maker because of the radial drive - but I can't associate the construction details to anyone.

                                Any one else have any interesting fakes of any sort - cameras or lenses?

                                mz

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 31, 2008
                                  Just a quick note to say I joined the group today. I'm looking
                                  forward to speaking with other wood and brass collectors.

                                  My camera collection is maybe 1/3 W&B. It's not my main focus - I
                                  don't have one, but it's a passionate pursuit. My interests span the
                                  continents. I'm as enamored with a George Hare as a Scovill or Lorillon.

                                  I think I'll be able to come up with plenty of questions for the more
                                  specialized group members and hopefully add something of interest to
                                  the discussions.

                                  happy trails,
                                  Scott Bilotta

                                • marenfred@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 31, 2008
                                    Welcome Scott & David. Good to have you aboard.